Success with TDEE -20%

Options

Replies

• nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If you are on the fence. I started this last week. Honestly, I have trouble eating all the allowable calories, but I do my best. I do not add back in my work out calories as they are already calculated in there. Well I weighed in after 1 week and lost 2.5 lbs. That is my best 1 week loss. And like I said I was having to really work to eat all the calories, mostly because I was making sure those calories were healthy calories not junk. Go for it. If you don't like it, you can always switch back.

Thanks for the advice... quick question. On days that you don't work out (or minimum work out), do you still try to reach your TDEE -20% goal? Or is it alright if I eat 200 calories less than my allotted amount on those days? Might seem like an obvious question but any advice would be appreciated :)
  • leahloves2run
    leahloves2run Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I just upped my calories this week to be my TDEE- 20%. I was back and forth the same few pounds so I'll give this a go for a while to see if it will get me to where I want to be. Wish me luck!!
    I'm in the same situation.Upped mine recently.I hope it works ! Lol
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Bump

i really dont understand all of this! It's so confusing! one person told me u eat your calories back and now people are saying not to! Can someone please clarify this for me!
    Im 23
    163 cm
    80 kg
    moderate exercise

If you are following the standard MFP plan you eat your exercise calories back. If you are following the TDEE-20% method, you don't, but you need to tweak the MFP settings with your TDEE.
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • leahloves2run
    leahloves2run Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I still cant figure out how to communicate on this sight...lol sorry if i' m replying or quoting where i shouldn't ugh!
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thaks for all the great information!!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    In Scooby, which research model didyou use? They are all vastly difrent! I don't know my body fat %. Anyone kno which one to use until I can figure hat out?
  • slporter03
    Options
    Bump
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    why would you eat back exercise calories when it's factored into TOTAL D E E ? I don't understand how so many ppl are asking this question.

it'd be nice if we had stickies and FAQ's here
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Use best estimates, bodyfat % calculator, better activity calculator, goal macros, and log your results.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • mylifemynow
    mylifemynow Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    I have been doing this for 2 weeks, fine tuned it last week when I was able to take proper measurements. I haven't weighed in yet this week becaue I didn't have access to a scale but I have taken measurements. I've lost 1" off my waist, 2" off my hips, 1/2" off each thigh and Nothing off my boobs. Result!!! My bf% has dropped from 36.9% to 33.4% which puts me in the healthy category for my age. :happy: In my opinion, the results are because I have more energy I am packing a lot more into my workouts. I don't know if it would work as well without exercise. Having said that I am not a fitness fanatic - I just work out at home with my wii.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    why would you eat back exercise calories when it's factored into TOTAL D E E ? I don't understand how so many ppl are asking this question.

it'd be nice if we had stickies and FAQ's here

It's because many have workouts that are either too variable or inconsistent.

Like if you did 2 short 30 min runs a week, and a 2 hr training run on the weekend, you'd be spreading the calories burned for that long run out over the whole week basically to eat them back. So 4 days a week you might not even have a deficit because of that, but really not be eating enough after that long run to benefit from eating them back.

True, that effect doesn't happen with normal 3 or 4 day week simple 45-60 min workouts. But it can happen.

I do a variation when coming up in training to a race. I'll include 1 hr of a long workout in the TDEE along with other exercise that week. But that day of the long run or ride, I then take the extra calories burned minus the same deficit and get to eat that back after the workout. Helps much better.
  • wowlisawow2
    wowlisawow2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stupid question I realize but what does TDEE stand for?
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Stupid question I realize but what does TDEE stand for?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure
  • imagineyes
    imagineyes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    But let say I eat my TDEE -20% which is 1800. Then I workout 4 times a week, each time for about 600. Then 600*4=2400/7=342

So 1800-342=1458

Wouldn't my total intake a day then just be 1458?
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    But let say I eat my TDEE -20% which is 1800. Then I workout 4 times a week, each time for about 600. Then 600*4=2400/7=342

So 1800-342=1458

Wouldn't my total intake a day then just be 1458?

TDEE will include your exercise.

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator
  • Wanting2BSkinny
    Options
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!