Success with TDEE -20%

Options

Replies

• sylvabelle89
    sylvabelle89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    tdee is telling me to up my calories by around 400! should i be afraid to do that

I really don't think you should be afraid. You main gain the first week or two, or not lost at all, but after that it should start coming off at a rate that is much more sustainable. :)

Make sure you are selecting the most accurate activity level when calculating your TDEE though.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I eat all of my exercise calories back because I calculated my TDEE without taking exercise into consideration. That was easier for me since I exercise a different amount every day.

I have been very successful. :) Check the ticker, yo! I am at least another .8 down from that as well, I am hoping by weigh-in tomorrow I'll be able to mark another full pound gone!

How did you calculate your TDEE without exercise? I am using the Sccoby's workshop calculator. Would I be inputting "desk job with little exercise? when I do this it tells me to eat 1740 calories which is below my BMR of 1812. Obviously on days when I work out I would be eating all the calories back but on days when not working out I would be below BMR.
  • sylvabelle89
    sylvabelle89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I eat all of my exercise calories back because I calculated my TDEE without taking exercise into consideration. That was easier for me since I exercise a different amount every day.

I have been very successful. :) Check the ticker, yo! I am at least another .8 down from that as well, I am hoping by weigh-in tomorrow I'll be able to mark another full pound gone!

How did you calculate your TDEE without exercise? I am using the Sccoby's workshop calculator. Would I be inputting "desk job with little exercise? when I do this it tells me to eat 1740 calories which is below my BMR of 1812. Obviously on days when I work out I would be eating all the calories back but on days when not working out I would be below BMR.

Sedentary
  • jillybaby86
    jillybaby86 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread! SO much helpful information!
  • Kayciemae02
    Kayciemae02 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this. May take some adjusting - I've just been doing some basic treadmill stuff 3x a week, but I bought Jillian's 30 day shred so my activity level will go up. The only question I have here is that I have a desk job so I'm pretty sedentary most of the week, but then one weeknight every week I bartend, and every other weekend I bartend so my activity level increases quite a bit on those days ... any suggestions on how should I factor that into my TDEE?
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    i recently based my cals on tdee, and its only been 2 days and i feel better. so much better. i was only eating 1100-1200 and getting weak, and grumpy, so now i am eating as close to 1600 as possible and i am doing the paleo lifestyle.
  • chrissylovescj
    chrissylovescj Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm going for it!! It sounds much better (or more importantly HEALTHIER) to me than 1200 calories MFP calculated for me. Plus, I've also recently started working out every morning and I want to make sure I'm giving my body what it needs. I've been wanting to try this but didn't want to go into it without educating myself more and getting a full understanding of it. After a lot of reading, I feel confident that this will work for me!!! Thanks to all for the 411!!!

Starting today I will go from eating 1250 calories per day to using the TDEE 20% which for me is 1710/day. :wink:
  • FinsUpBindy
    FinsUpBindy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just started doing this yesterday, changed all my goals and uped my calories- here's hoping for some good results!!
  • raquelleigh
    Options
    I don't understand the macros thing at all. I did figure out that my TDEE -20% is 1364 (I have a desk job with very long hours so I did not chose moderate activity, I guess that will just be a bonus) However, I do not understand how to calculate the 40 30 30. Based on this am I suppose to be eating 545 calories of protein per day? When I put my food into MFP it just gives me a number which I do not know is calories or grams?? any help here would be really cool. What are te 30 and 30? I am always way under on fat intake.

Thanks everyone!
  • TrishyWest
    TrishyWest Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Can I set my TDEE to sedementary and then log my exercise calorie burn? Does it work like that? I don't work out every day, and I like the fact that it adjusts my calorie intake for excersice I did during the day. I've been increasing my calories since last month.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the macros thing at all. I did figure out that my TDEE -20% is 1364 (I have a desk job with very long hours so I did not chose moderate activity, I guess that will just be a bonus) However, I do not understand how to calculate the 40 30 30. Based on this am I suppose to be eating 545 calories of protein per day? When I put my food into MFP it just gives me a number which I do not know is calories or grams?? any help here would be really cool. What are te 30 and 30? I am always way under on fat intake.

Thanks everyone!

If you go into Home/goals/customise you can change them in there. I found 50 carbs/25fat/25 protein suited me best but I may adjust it when I lift heavier weights to more protein.
  • Tootce01
    Tootce01 Posts: 184
    Options
    Bump for late
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I did-- I just posted a success story today. I did eat exercise calories back because I didn't include them in TDEE. It doesn't matter which way you do it, you just pick one and stick with it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this. May take some adjusting - I've just been doing some basic treadmill stuff 3x a week, but I bought Jillian's 30 day shred so my activity level will go up. The only question I have here is that I have a desk job so I'm pretty sedentary most of the week, but then one weeknight every week I bartend, and every other weekend I bartend so my activity level increases quite a bit on those days ... any suggestions on how should I factor that into my TDEE?

Either take the average, or use sedentary TDEE and then eat back exercise calories.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    That is whatI did. I switched pretty much right away when I joined. It had worked well. I just had 10 pounds to lose, lost 2 pounds a month. Felt healthy and have energy to work out.
    I am TDEE -10% to ease into maintenance now.

At firt I ate back last my calories from exercise. Now I just have my activity level set to 'exercises 3-5 days a week' and don't bother logging workouts.mi really don't work out a huge amount 3-4 times a week, tops.. IF, I happen to to a little extra biking, I will log it.m
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was using the MFP settings for three months and lost 20 pounds then I got stuck and did not lose for a month. I switched to TDEE -20% two weeks ago and lost three pounds.

TDEE -20% is the way to go!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    My fitness monitor tells me how much to eat and how much to burn (it includes regular activity + work outs in the calculation of what to burn)

1590 to eat 2590 to burn and it says if I stay steady I should weigh 120lbs by June. If that happens then I would be absolutely delighted. I know for sure this is not my TDEE -20% because that was 1693 but it's worth a try :)

Oh! And if I burn more than 2590 I get to eat back any calories above that magic number.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone!

Basically, based on 40/30/30, 40% of your calories should be from carbs, 30% from fat, and 30% from protein.

1 gram of carbs = 4 calories
    1 gram of fat = 9 calories
    1 gram of protein = 4 calories

The idea is to meet or stay under on your calories and carbs and meet or go OVER on your protein and fat, with meeting protein being your first priority.

Let's say your calorie goal is determined to be 2000 calories. You should get 600 of those calories in protein (2000 X 30%) or 200g of protein (800/4). You should get 600 calories in fat (2000 X 30%) or approximately 67 grams (600/9), and the remaining 800 calories could be in carbs (2000 X 40%). You can add this same logic to your personal calorie goal.

If I'm wrong on this, somebody please feel free to correct me.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    save
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!