Does the weight loss count if they had surgery?

Options

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's against the rules. They are automatically disqualified from the competition.
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Counts for what? We're not competing. I guess if she wants to count it, she should.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I remember last May I dreaded going to a personal training session so I called my health insurance company. I knew I was too small for Gastric Bypass so I asked them if they would foot the bill for Lap Band surgery.

And also, I hope you've sorted yourself out here because inquiring about a serious surgery just because you don't want to go to a PT session is all sorts of wrong when it comes to having a good mindset about healthy, long-term weight loss.

That was almost a year ago. It is obvious that I have done better judging by my success...also the gym fired the personal trainer.
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's against the rules. They are automatically disqualified from the competition.

lol
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If you lose it with raspberry ketones, does that count?
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I saw this question on the Success board and it kind of made me think. I remember last May I dreaded going to a personal training session so I called my health insurance company. I knew I was too small for Gastric Bypass so I asked them if they would foot the bill for Lap Band surgery. Of course they told me no, but a heavier relative qualified under her health insurance. I ask this question because I met someone that had the surgery. They had the band removed to conceive and once everything "settled" down she ended up gaining 141 pounds. So I ask for your opinion, do you think their weight loss counts if they had surgery?

Capture.jpg

Seriously, the thought popped into my head... Do my kids "count" because I birthed them surgically (c-sections) or not? So to me, this question is a big "Duh"...

Just had to edit and wonder why you're worrying about this since you have lost weight (presumably through exercise and good eating habits)... ??

12029845.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

Yup. And I have a big red stamp I can use to mark FAIL on their papers. Or on their foreheads, if they didn't hand in their papers.

Sometimes I miss teaching.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Capture.jpg

Does it matter as part of a success story, is a completely different question than "Does it count."
  • Clauduchinno
    Options
    It all counts, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

I think that you need to learn motivation to lose weight, and anyone and everyone CAN. They just need to be educated on how to do so.

One of my friends recently had that stomach banding surgery and lost 108kg in a matter of months. She didn't look too healthy and was always complaining about how dizzy she felt and all the mood swings she was getting. She couldn't eat anymore than 1 small meal a day and just wasn't as happy and bubbly as she used to be. It was affecting her relationships at home and at work.

I personally think that if she would've done it the right way, yes it would've been slower to lose the weight but the experience would have been a lot more comfortable. It also is just totally unnatural to get surgery to lose weight, there definitely has to be a catch.
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options

This made me laugh out loud! :)

12029845.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • MaryJane_8810002
    Options

I am hearing a lot about raspberry Ketones, what exactly is that?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

*bangs head on keyboard*
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options

I think that you need to learn motivation to lose weight, and anyone and everyone CAN. They just need to be educated on how to do so.

Yeah, cause I was just too stupid to do the math, now I get it, so glad to finally know the reason I couldn't lose the weight before surgery.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    Options

*bangs head on keyboard*

I know a website that is offering a discount on that and some type of african mango appetite suppressant...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Dr Oz's latest BS miracle weight loss secret.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    So a fat person gets shamed for being fat, and then he or she gets shamed for having weight loss surgery and losing the weight?

That is a large cup of WTF.

Right. My mother had lap band. In order to get the surgery she had to wait a year....lose weight..and show she was serious about a weight loss change. She lost over 50 pounds before the surgery and has lost a lot more after. She works full time but works her butt off at the gym a few times a week and has totally changed the way she eats. Her weight lost inspired me to get my **** together as well as my dad. Her weight loss counts 100% because she just didn't get surgery, she changed her life form the better. I even believe that if the band magically vanished she would continue on strong.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    Options
    I am aware of ketosis and something tells me that it would be wise to stay away from RK ...and Dr. OZ
  • queenbelove
    queenbelove Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've never understood why people think that surgery doesn't count. You still have to make lifestyle changes (i.e. diet and exercise) to lose, and maintain, weight loss regardless to the type of surgery you have. Surgery doesn't automatically make you lose weight. Your stomach size is restricted so you eat less, and with some surgeries you can lose a great deal upfront. However, you can still eat/drink the wrong foods, take in too many calories, and end up gaining weight instead. Happens a lot.

It's not a quick fix by any stretch of the imagination, and no one that has had the surgery will ever agree that it is something that doesn't take effort. In order to qualify for the surgery you have to have tried other medically supervised weight loss programs, and have certain co-morbidities--it's not something you just do because you don't want to exercise or eat vegetables. You have to be committed to changing your diet, your lifestyle, going to groups, and taking medications if necessary. Not easy...

On another note...why did your friend have the band taken out to conceive? You can have children with the band. One of the benefits of having the band is that you can remove the fluid during the pregnancy, and add it again afterwards to keep your weight loss on track. Not to mention you can have children with other surgeries as well. They just want you to wait for a certain period of time (not that everyone does and they have perfectly healthy children). Just wondering.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    srsly_b01010_366886.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am aware of ketosis and something tells me that it would be wise to stay away from RK ...and Dr. OZ

Raspberry ketones have nothing to do with ketosis.