Does the weight loss count if they had surgery?

Options

Replies

• baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Look at Tripmom's before and after pics and tell me that "doesn't count." whatever.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    Look at Tripmom's before and after pics and tell me that "doesn't count." whatever.

Flattery will get you everywhere LOL
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options

Flattery will get you everywhere LOL

Hehe, I hope so. :-) but I mean every word.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    The only time weight loss doesn't count is when it's...found again :tongue:

This
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes they still lost weight. It was much much much easier for them, but honestly I'd rather put in the hard work than get surgery. I'm terrified of surgery so they have more guts than i do lol!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    "Count" as what? If they lost the weight, then they lost the weight. I don't understand the question.
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    wowzers...I looked at your photos, congrats on all your efforts!
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    maybe it's not so much the "loss" that matters, but getting there any maintaining...bc I really think THAT is the hardest part. I've gotten myself less fluffy and into better shape a few times before, for long stretches of time, but then I fall off the wagon, get fluffy again, and have to start all over! But if you start a goal and complete it with good intentions, yeah it should all count.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I haven't had surgery, but a couple of my friends have. They worked their *kitten* off to lose and maintain the loss. You have to make lifestyle changes along with it. Otherwise, you/insurance company are wasting money.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    First of all, of course it counts as an achievement. The surgery helps but they still have to work hard to lose the weight and maintain.

Secondly, I don't understand what your dread of the personal training session and the trainer's termination pertains to this scenario. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

And lastly, how would you like it if people judged your 50 lb weightloss and discounted it for some reason? And why is WLS a reason to discredit someone's weightloss but there is no mention of other tools that aid success, like diet pills and fads. If you only think good old-fashioned nutrition and exercise count, then there are plenty of other weightloss methods that could be examined besides surgery.
  • jaurora2
    jaurora2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends had gastric bypass a few months ago. When she first got it I thought, "what on earth is she thinking." Now I see how much healthier she is after dropping the weight, and all I am is happy for her. She did what she needed to do. She admits straight up that she "cheated" and got it because she knew that she was way too undisciplined to be able to lose the weight that she needed to on her own. My only concern is, by not learning to watch what she eats and having to become disciplined there is a high chance that she will gain the weight back.

I will say that I started out being jealous of her because of how quickly she dropped the weight, but once I saw how many complications she had with the surgery and how difficult her healing was after it really cemented in my mind that the best way FOR ME to go about this is to learn about the food I use to fuel my body, work my butt off, and make smart decisions.
  • brunetteavoxgirl
    brunetteavoxgirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think WLS is taking the easy way out. Talk to people who have had it and you'll see it's anything but the easy way out.
    This.
    My mom had it about 7 years ago. And to be honest (as I was a naive high schooler), I hated her for it. I told her she was cheating, taking the easier way out, and that I would tell anyone who congratulated her that yeah it was easy to lose a bunch of weight in six weeks by sitting on your butt because of surgery. My mom worked out when she was cleared to, and she's kept the weight off.
    I watched a lot of bad things though. Her pain after surgery, her blockage, which almost killed her and required more surgery. It's not magic, and it's not an "easy" fix, as I once thought. It's still painful, hard work.
    I won't opt for surgery, because I don't fit all the qualifications, and I want to give myself a chance to prove that I can lose weight, as most people think I can't; but I respect anyone who's had the surgery.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think it counts because it doesn't seem fun. Ironically my relative who had that surgery thinks mine doesn't count because I had a tummy tuck as part of my hernia surgery. She said..."i'd rather lose weight the natural way, and then proceeded to have gastric bypass surgery". WTF? Last I checked neither hernia nor tummy tuck are weight loss surgeries, correct me if I'm wrong.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yes they still lost weight. It was much much much easier for them, but honestly I'd rather put in the hard work than get surgery. I'm terrified of surgery so they have more guts than i do lol!

I disagree that its "much much much" easier. At least not with lap band, I don't know anyone who had any other type of weight loss surgery. I can say this proudly, my mother works out way harder than I do. Hell, her trainer has her doing things like lifting those big heavy tractor tires.
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It is quite a fantasy to think having weight loss surgery takes away any hard work related to weight loss. Keep dreamin.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

I think that you need to learn motivation to lose weight, and anyone and everyone CAN. They just need to be educated on how to do so.

Yeah, cause I was just too stupid to do the math, now I get it, so glad to finally know the reason I couldn't lose the weight before surgery.

It's good that you understand that now. The first step to overcoming a problem is to admit that you have a problem
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends had gastric bypass a few months ago. When she first got it I thought, "what on earth is she thinking." Now I see how much healthier she is after dropping the weight, and all I am is happy for her. She did what she needed to do. She admits straight up that she "cheated" and got it because she knew that she was way too undisciplined to be able to lose the weight that she needed to on her own. My only concern is, by not learning to watch what she eats and having to become disciplined there is a high chance that she will gain the weight back.

I will say that I started out being jealous of her because of how quickly she dropped the weight, but once I saw how many complications she had with the surgery and how difficult her healing was after it really cemented in my mind that the best way FOR ME to go about this is to learn about the food I use to fuel my body, work my butt off, and make smart decisions.

She will gain it all back in a year or two anyway.
  • lcardullo
    Options
    I write this as I just at lunch....3 ounces of sea bass and 2 spears of asparagus. Lunch is a little late today because I did an extra long workout at the gym today.

As a former 300 pounder for most of my life who thought that WLS was a cop out - "i can do this on my own!", I can honestly say that WLS has saved my life. It is though nothing more than a tool. I made the choice to go to the gym. I made the choice on what to eat for lunch. I may not be able to eat much but I still could have made unhealthy choices.

WLS is a gift that is helping me to finally succeed in the lifestyle changes that are necessary to lose weight and get healthy.
  • CoachKristenSmith
    CoachKristenSmith Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wellz, I had surgery 18 months ago - the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. In 5 months I lost 80 pounds and it was super easy, I couldn't overeat if I tried! Then everything changed, my body got content and I had to whip it in to high gear to lose the rest of my excess weight over the next 7 months through daily HARD exercise, avoiding carbs, and drinking gallons of water. I am now near my goal weight but in order to stay there, I run 15-20 miles a week, do workout dvd's in my living room 4-5 days per week, avoid carbs, focus on protein and healthy food and drink gallons of water. So yes, it was easier to do it with surgery, but I have to work VERY hard and never slack or it will come right back. So you be the judge on if any of that "counts" I guess. (Said with lots of love and good vibes coming your way whilst I defend myself :) )
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Of course it does. It's not like they go in to a day spa and come out 300lbs lighter.