Drinking 8 glasse of water a day...is it mega important?

Options
You know what I am so baaad at drinking water!! It's so bland!
Im serious!!

I drink maybe 2 water bottles a week!!
I drink coffee and diet colas--once a day!

Is it vital to weight loss this drinkin' water thing? ;) hehehe!

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It does not have to be water, liquid is what is required, water just happens to be handy & comes out of taps. Booze & sugar laden drinks are not ideal substitutes

Tea, coffee, count, and remember fruit & veg contain water, some more than others

PS if you find bog standard water "bland" you could try as others have a squeeze of fresh lemon juice in it [not lemon cordial]
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just stay hydrated. Drink if you're thirsty. If you aren't thirsty, don't worry about it. Some people try to make it way more complicated than it is.

And yes, anything you drink (other than hard liquor) will hydrate you. No real reason to drink just water, other than if you enjoy it. As long as you stay within your nutritional goals, there's no special benefit to drinking water over tea, or coffee, or anything else.
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Vital for weightloss, probably not. Highly recommended, definitely.

If you're drinking a bunch of water you're not drinking other stuff that is likely way worse for you (i.e. diet cola), but I can see how it can be a hard thing to switch to. My cure for it was to give up pop for a year as last year's new years resolution. Once pop was out, I drank a ton of nearly as bad drinks. After doing that I've since been able to ween myself into drinking more and more water.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    If you're really into peeing, sure it is. I drink tea, coffee and the occasional glass of water, and I'm getting along just fine.
  • kamiAK
    kamiAK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    tea and coffee dont count
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

utter tosh
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Of course they do. They are 99.9% water.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yep! At least 6-8 cups/day, more when you exercise. Important for cell function and elimination of waste and toxins.
    This is a good link for more info
    http://www.fitness-n-function.co.nz/Wellness_Good_Health/hydration_water_facts.htm
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just stay hydrated. Drink if you're thirsty. If you aren't thirsty, don't worry about it. Some people try to make it way more complicated than it is.

And yes, anything you drink (other than hard liquor) will hydrate you. No real reason to drink just water, other than if you enjoy it. As long as you stay within your nutritional goals, there's no special benefit to drinking water over tea, or coffee, or anything else.

^^this
  • DeanCorleone
    DeanCorleone Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    what Sara say's. Dont over complicate it, the one thing thats good about water is 0 calories, people sometimes dont want to drink their calories, which can add up if you are drinking coke and juices all day :) Water is good for you, just start off with 1 cup a day and work your way up, i currently drink litres everyday and used to hate water!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to your health in general. For me it helps when sometimes I think i'm hungry i drink something and feel better....and it's not always captain morgan's lol.
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    The 8 glasses of water a day thing was something that bottled water companies got into quoting based on research that was about how much water you need in a day to stay hydrated including tea, coffee, beer, food, etc. It's a total myth.

Drink to your thirst and you'll be hydrated.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Arrowhead makes sparkling water (no sugar or seeteners) It is pretty much water, co2, and citric acid. I love them!!!! They are cheap too. Usually a buck for the big bottle copaired to like $3 for perrier.
  • KazSmith68
    Options
    I drink around 3-6 glasses most days otherwise anymore than that and I'm living in the toilet. I'm doing fine not drinking the recommended 8
  • Rssblade
    Rssblade Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hydration is one part, but when you start to burn established fat , your breath can become a tad rank, water tends to ward that off.

Ref: Hackers diet, online
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some research, and so far 4 of the book I've read say at least 8 glasses of water are vital. mainly to stay hydrated and to help you from over eating. Here are some other reasons from a book I just finished.

Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittlerman M.S. C.N.S.

"The body is 60-70% water by weight. Most is in the cells the rest is body fluid. Ths water flushes out the toxins and moistens the respiratory system and is part of all metabolic systems." "Many individuals carry an extra 10-15lbs of water trapped in tissue. That leads to abdominal bloating, cellulite, face and eye puffiness." "Too little water leads to water retention. The kidneys must have enough water to flush out waste or they hoard water which can slow the lymphatic system and leads to cellulite."

I looked all that up cause I HATE water with a passion. Ever since pregnancy. I usually drink half with green tea, but yea, its mega important.
  • rmgatch
    rmgatch Posts: 38
    Options
    I found that once I increased my water intake daily it was easier to lose the weight. I have read that the more water you drink helps flush the sodium through the system. It my experience it seems to be true.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some research, and so far 4 of the book I've read say at least 8 glasses of water are vital. mainly to stay hydrated and to help you from over eating. Here are some other reasons from a book I just finished.

Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittlerman M.S. C.N.S.

"The body is 60-70% water by weight. Most is in the cells the rest is body fluid. Ths water flushes out the toxins and moistens the respiratory system and is part of all metabolic systems." "Many individuals carry an extra 10-15lbs of water trapped in tissue. That leads to abdominal bloating, cellulite, face and eye puffiness." "Too little water leads to water retention. The kidneys must have enough water to flush out waste or they hoard water which can slow the lymphatic system and leads to cellulite."

I looked all that up cause I HATE water with a passion. Ever since pregnancy. I usually drink half with green tea, but yea, its mega important.

The 8 glasses a day requirement is a myth - I provided a link above to a thread that explains it.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    This depends a lot on the climate you live in - someone in a hot place will need to drink more than someone shivering in a cold place because they sweat more and so lose fluid that way. Drink if you're thirsty. Also drink if you are hungry - to see if you are actually hungry because the body can mix those signals. I drink tea and diet coke mostly for my fluids - hasn't harmed my loss at all.