Drinking 8 glasse of water a day...is it mega important?

Options

Replies

• tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    this is a topic that many will argue both ways. i am the same as you. i like water. but i wont go crazy to drink it. i have to have my pop and coffee. i am also bad about an occasional energy drink. i was watching on dr oz about water. he says that the extra water is not necessary for your body. and he also brought up good points that some of the foods we eat will also keep us hydrated. but that doesn't mean to stop. we still have to stay hydrated and go a little extra when we exercise. but i also want to point out that i have read that water can be useful to curb appetite and can help with over eating? so it just depends on what you read and believe.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some research, and so far 4 of the book I've read say at least 8 glasses of water are vital. mainly to stay hydrated and to help you from over eating. Here are some other reasons from a book I just finished.

Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittlerman M.S. C.N.S.

"The body is 60-70% water by weight. Most is in the cells the rest is body fluid. Ths water flushes out the toxins and moistens the respiratory system and is part of all metabolic systems." "Many individuals carry an extra 10-15lbs of water trapped in tissue. That leads to abdominal bloating, cellulite, face and eye puffiness." "Too little water leads to water retention. The kidneys must have enough water to flush out waste or they hoard water which can slow the lymphatic system and leads to cellulite."

I looked all that up cause I HATE water with a passion. Ever since pregnancy. I usually drink half with green tea, but yea, its mega important.

The 8 glasses a day requirement is a myth - I provided a link above to a thread that explains it.
    like does provide some good points, but im gonna stay with my books. besides, for me at least 8 glasses of water and green tea are better than the 8 sodas i'd have.
  • fwaffy49
    Options
    Interesting discussion - but can someone tell me how much a 'cup' of water contains? I have a lot of cups / glassses in my kitchen and they are all completely different sizes!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Just drink in general. It helps get rid of some water weight here and there that comes from being dehydrated. I used to drink soda and tea and rarely felt dehydrated. I've switched over to 90% water this week and don't feel particularly different, but I know it's better than the chemical-laden stuff and good for my skin and various things like that. :)
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion - but can someone tell me how much a 'cup' of water contains? I have a lot of cups / glassses in my kitchen and they are all completely different sizes!

I think 8 oz is the standard, but I may be wrong.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some research, and so far 4 of the book I've read say at least 8 glasses of water are vital. mainly to stay hydrated and to help you from over eating. Here are some other reasons from a book I just finished.

Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittlerman M.S. C.N.S.

"The body is 60-70% water by weight. Most is in the cells the rest is body fluid. Ths water flushes out the toxins and moistens the respiratory system and is part of all metabolic systems." "Many individuals carry an extra 10-15lbs of water trapped in tissue. That leads to abdominal bloating, cellulite, face and eye puffiness." "Too little water leads to water retention. The kidneys must have enough water to flush out waste or they hoard water which can slow the lymphatic system and leads to cellulite."

I looked all that up cause I HATE water with a passion. Ever since pregnancy. I usually drink half with green tea, but yea, its mega important.

The 8 glasses a day requirement is a myth - I provided a link above to a thread that explains it.
    like does provide some good points, but im gonna stay with my books. besides, for me at least 8 glasses of water and green tea are better than the 8 sodas i'd have.

Not disagreeing with what works for you - just stating that the 8 glasses of water a day is not a requirement for hydration purposes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I think 8 oz is the standard, but I may be wrong.

Yes - it's 8 fluid ounces.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    8 floz is supposedly a 'cup'. I go by 1/2 litre as 2 'cups'.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Water is vital to the proper functioning of your body - kidney, blood, liver, brain etc etc. aids digestion, keep your body's temperature balanced, it's definitely critical for health. And it aids in detoxing the body.

Moreover, with water, your skin is hydrated, you will look better. If you start drinking more, you may not need to eat more, which may lead to weight loss, but that's not absolute.

If you don't like tap water, or mineral water, start with water with honey, water with lemon, or throw some cucumber, rosemary, or drink Green tea.
  • fwaffy49
    Options
    Thank you - I'll go with my 500ml bottles being 2 glasses then. Love your ticker LadyPakal :smile:
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    If you're pee is colorless you're good.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    drinking water is important for your health . i love water when its ice cold. I was at a boot camp once and they served water with various fruits in it ..some had strawberries .orange slices or blueberries in it . it doesnt matter to me if fruit is in it or not but everyone said they liked it better than plain water
  • MLibby84
    Options
    I try to drink more water because I need to, I didnt drink enough. I find that drinking more water now has helped me with the weight loss. I do on occasion drink gatorade, but for me my goal is drinking more water. I do use the crystla light packets to go.. they are only 5 calories, and they have different flavors. I like those if I get sick of just plain water.
  • ersu99
    ersu99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

check out snopes for information on myths
  • savyjenn
    savyjenn Posts: 41 Member
    Options

1 cup measure is equal to 8oz.

2 ltrs. = 8 cups

Drinking water has some health benefits over other drinks, including helping out your kidneys. Your kidneys have to filter out what ever you drink ie coffee, tea, pop etc. I know a couple of people with kidney problems and all are made worse by consuming tea or cofee in place of plain water. I am pretty sure coffee can dehydrate you, as I believe it has diaretic properties... Personally I find drinking plain water a challange...I sometimes use water enhancers like mio....but I know that stuff isnt the best for you....so make the choice...though drinking water curbs my appetite and I have dropped 7lbs in 14 days and I am sure I drink my 8 glasses everyday...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Um, no. Your kidneys filter your blood. They don't filter out the other things you drink, that's called "digestion" and it happens in your stomach and small intestine. Kidney issues are exacerbated by dehydration, not by drinking any one specific liquid. As for the diuretic comment, water has much stronger diuretic properties than the caffeine in coffee can ever hope to have.
  • rjmatthews62
    Options
    I agree. The 8 glasses of water a day has been pretty thoroughly debunked.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Anything besides alcohol can be considered hydration. Except maybe sugary and caffeine loaded drinks, but thats obvious.
  • savyjenn
    savyjenn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Um, no. Your kidneys filter your blood. They don't filter out the other things you drink, that's called "digestion" and it happens in your stomach and small intestine. Kidney issues are exacerbated by dehydration, not by drinking any one specific liquid. As for the diuretic comment, water has much stronger diuretic properties than the caffeine in coffee can ever hope to have.

UM yes! Your kidneys filter your blood...got it ! But what is in your blood stream if digestion solved the problem of filtering everything else than why do we even have kidneys?? Because there is waste in your blood...this is waste created by the normal breakdown of active tissues, such as muscles, and from food - what you are eating is what goes into your blood stream ie water, caffine, protein, sodium etc.....digestion breaksdown the dense parts of food, and the microscopic particales that are in what you eat goes through the membrains of your stomach and intestines into your blood stream. So "you are what you eat"

During the filtering process the "waste" is eliminated from the body through urination. When you drink something with caffine your kidneys have to filter this out of your blood....because your kidneys are working hard you may have to urinate more frequently which can cause dehydration.
  • Lilith5
    Lilith5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Arrowhead makes sparkling water (no sugar or seeteners) It is pretty much water, co2, and citric acid. I love them!!!! They are cheap too. Usually a buck for the big bottle copaired to like $3 for perrier.

I love to drink sparkling water! I can drink that all day long but with plain water I struggle unless it's what I crave. Aldi does 4 x 2lt bottles for 99p I enjoy it anyway