Cleaning Calories?!?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Maybe they log it to make themselves feel better since they actually didn't work out like at a gym. Those people won't last long if that's the case.

I've been here 435 days, lost 88lb and don't go to the gym. Obviously I won't last long here :noway: :angry:

:laugh:
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    As a stay at home mom, I do log cleaning, not for the extra calories. I stay under calories all the time. The point is, a stay at mom is hard work. I don't just sit on my butt, you are constantly on the go when you have a little kid. I may make 4 trips up and down the stairs carring laundry, picking up toy, vacuuming, picking up the kids ect.

Do I think some people abuse it yes, but to each their own. Who are they really hurting but themselves. But not all people abuse adding cleaning to their exercise.

If someone is way over weight, cleaning can be a VERY big chore for them. When you are obese, you have a lot more weight to move around, to do every day cleaning. So if someone is that over weight and they are getting off the couch or chair and bending, going up and down stairs, and walking in general. I am happy for them. Every bit counts. As long as they are not abusing it to get more calories so they can eat me.

And no I am not over weight.

Even though it may bug you that your friends are adding cleaning for their exerices. Before you judge someone else get to know them first or walk a mile in their shoes.

I watch 5 toddlers during the day, so I am with you 100%
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    A bit surprised that a general question can get peoples backs up so hard - eeeeee by gum. People do get quite irate...however, had a few supportive emails, and friends requests, Seems I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Still, I do agree with those who also say 'Whats it to do with me'. I never proclaimed it to be my business. Just can't help it annoying me. Just like the people who get rude because they have seen this posted before and tell you to use the search function then complain if you comment on an old thread....

Well I cant help but be annoyed by people sitting behind their computers judging other lives, you got friend request good for you. Make sure they don't clean though, or you just wasted your time accepting. This kind of judgemental crap is on here weekly and people still don't learn to just leave it be. People aren't being rude because its an old post, they're being rude because their being judged by someone who does not know them, that would get you made too right?
  • silverburk
    Options
    When I log it as light cleaning I'm really really working at it. I have fibromygia, so sometimes it's alot of work me for do some of that "light" cleaning. I'm sweating and hot and my heart rate is up. Do we really have the right to judge other people for what they do for exercise? Shouldn't we be glad they are up and doing something? No matter how mundane?
  • Dourpussdora
    Dourpussdora Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    well i have over 150lbs to lose and when im cleaning i work up a sweat!, if i put serious effort into it then i think i do burn calories especially srubbing floors etc.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Personally, I will add it when I do a significant cleaning spree - because I turn up the music and clean, dance, and do moves like squats, plies, lunges etc while doing it so i keep my heart rate up the whole time. And it takes muscle to really scrub!

I don't log if I just tidied up the kitchen or something like that.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I log mine when I do real cleaning, I don't log it if I'm just doing that nights dishes or a light surface pickup before someone comes over with short notice.
  • MAV9855
    MAV9855 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling guilty..I'm taking off my cooking activity LOL!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia armband now, so it counts everything. However, before I had it I set my activity level as low as possible and I logged everything. It was my way of being as accurate as possible. I was learning what each day looked like as far as calorie burn and everything you do in a day counts. Until I got to a point where I knew what an average day was for me, I didn't really know which activity level fit me. Years of bad habits take a lot of effort to overcome.
  • mommy055
    Options
    well that just was not very nice. Some folks, unlike yourself, can not afford to go to a gym. ( your picture is discussing by the way. Very unattractive)
  • mommy055
    Options
    lol
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Think you should quit moaning about other people and focus on yourself.

As Teddy Robinson once said 'If you ain't got something positive to say, say NUTHIN!'
  • missferoux
    missferoux Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    well that just was not very nice. Some folks, unlike yourself, can not afford to go to a gym. ( your picture is discussing by the way. Very unattractive)

WTF? How do you know I CAN afford to go to the gym? Most of my workouts are running outside or doing a cardio routine at home. And why is my picture 'discussing' and unattractive? Wow.I'm drinking a cup of coffee in Amsterdam showing off my engagement ring form 3 years ago. Why the living hell is that 'discussing'?
  • mommyang2
    Options
    While I may or may not agree with things being said in this forum, to call someones picture "disgusting" when it clearly is not is a bit distasteful!

Just because you do not agree with someone does not mean their picture should be attacked.

While I do not count my calories for cleaning or child care ( I run after a 14 month old and 6 year old all day every day, while cleaning daily, laundry daily etc) if you want to so be it! But, I think you are only huting yourself especially if you are eating those calories, Unless you are doing a spring cleaning (which is not what I am talking about).

I was always told exercise is something you intentionally mean to do: going to the gym, for a walk, exercise video, exercise from your chair if you are unable to do anything else, etc.
  • srpm
    Options
    Must say, quite a few different views. And to the ones saying 'don't post on it' THATS WHAT A FORUM IS FOR...is it not?

I was genuinely curious what other peoples views were, so thanks for answering. I don't actually get proper worked up over this, I use MFP for support and give support to people and expect it back. So I'm not gonna sit there chanting Way to Go on someones activity if it's cleaning. therefore I am not being supportive. Hence the delete.

You should totally say way to go to me for cleaning, I hate to clean...In fact I cheer on everyone who logs cleaning calories, not because of the "burn" but because they were visibly productive at home instead of sitting on the couch eating bon-bons like I would much rather do.
  • srpm
    Options
    If you can log cleaning, why can't you log sex?

You can, I can't remember what it is under though, there was a thread about it a month or two ago.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    That's nothing, I log 1 calorie each time i open the fridge, you don't even wanna know how many calories I burn blinking :wink:
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who gets totally annoyed with people logging cleaning as an exercise? I'm turning into a bit of a cowbag about it and deleted people off my friends list because seeing it genuinely miffs me off.

I mean seriously - logging over 600 calories for light cleaning? Seriously? Come on - tell me i am not being unreasonable thinking it's a cop out?

To answer your question, yes, in my opinion you were being unreasonable. While I don't log everyday cleaning, who am I to condemn someone else for doing it? Your former friends are probably better off without you - and you without them, because you obviously weren't much of a friend.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I don't do a lot of cleaning (it's why I have kids, LOL...) but when I'm out there busting tail on washing, waxing, and detailing my car and/or the hubs' truck? It's the only label I can find that fits. :)

To each their own, tho.

If it burns calories, I log that stuff.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    My BodyMedia FIT device records the calories burned while doing housework and yardwork, just like any other activity. Of course it depends on how much effort you put into it but it's definitely possible to burn a respectable amount while doing the chores. Certainly more than you do tapping at a keyboard...