Anyone heard of the blood type diet? What's your take?

Options
I read up on it a while back, and it said that my type does best on a vegetarian diet. I think I agree with this, but I'm not sure if I want to go back to being vegetarian... I've discovered that I like hotdogs, and the vegetarian kind aren't that good. =/

Replies

• AEFidgets
    AEFidgets Posts: 243
    Options
    I'm confused how people in the 1700's would have known their blood type in order to eat in a specific way? Pretty sure it's not at all relevant....
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I did it for awhile back in 2007. I felt better when I stuck to the foods that were "beneficial" to me. I also lost some weight but I can't remember how much. I stopped because it just didn't work well for my family. We all eat supper together and I would have to fix different things for all of us.
    I like just watching my calories and eating what I want as long as it fits. :smile:
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As soon as I saw that I'm not supposed to eat tomatoes or corn, I decided the diet wasn't for me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    That it's balderdash. Yes, I said balderdash. I don't even know what that means, but blood-type diets sound silly. If they were true, we'd all be on them.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm a dance mom (Gawd how did that happen) and one of the other moms is doing it and has had a LOT of success. I think it all boils down to being able to live with whatever diet you choose to go with...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    That it's balderdash. Yes, I said balderdash. I don't even know what that means, but blood-type diets sound silly. If they were true, we'd all be on them.

agree. pure balderdash
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    SILLY!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I read up on it a while back, and it said that my type does best on a vegetarian diet. I think I agree with this, but I'm not sure if I want to go back to being vegetarian... I've discovered that I like hotdogs, and the vegetarian kind aren't that good. =/

Vegetarian hot dogs are vile. If you don't want to be vegetarian, I wouldn't put a second thought into it.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It's another nonsense. You're better just to bite the bullet, eat less (but of the right things too) and move more for weight loss and eat just the good stuff in the right quantities to be healthy and maintain or gain.
  • jlaup
    jlaup Posts: 1
    Options
    I bounced this off my Doctor and he said there is no scientific findings to support this kind fo Diet. So I stopped.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    nope not scientific.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Skepdic has a takedown:
    http://www.skepdic.com/bloodtypediet.html

In short: the author has never performed studies to test his theories, and his theories are built upon shoddy information.
  • TrekGuru
    Options
    If you are having allergy' problems the blood type diet (eat right for your type) is very benifical. I used it for a while and got my allergies under control. Every once in a while I will go back to it if they are acting up. And the book never said they ate for thier type in the 1700's or at any other time. It only said how eating patterns changed through the ages and how blood types changed with it. Take it or leave it, it is up to you. Use common sence as you should with any dieting program. I will say I have lost more just using MyFitnessPal than I have at any other time. Seeing what I was eating and making good choices for myself and not having anyone else telling me what to do has led to me losing the first 29 pounds of the hundred or so I have to lose. Good luck and God bless.
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's like a horoscope for nutrition.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Load. Of. Tosh.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Junk science.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I heard about it from a naturopathy doctor who spoke at a conference I attended. She relayed her experience -
    I can't remember the types, but whatever it was she was supposed to eat fish, beans and veggies (avoiding beef, limiting others like chicken) She followed the suggestions, lost weight, skin glowed - amazing. Then she found out somehow that she was mistaken about her blood type. Turns out she was supposed to be the one that eats a lot of protein and beef and low carb avoiding beans.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly type A supposedly does best with vegetarian grain type diets. Since I have type a but also have lots of food allergies and intolerances to grains and several fruits and vegetables, and have never had problems with meats, I find this "theory" difficult to swallow.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My husband is type O and has always gotten sick eating pork. So he thinks there is something to it. I am still not sure.
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and for me it was horrible. For my type it was more vegetarian and grains. I felt down right run down eating that way and had some pretty high blood sugar.