Anyone heard of the blood type diet? What's your take?

Options

Replies

• shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    OP re: hot dogs... 2 words. FIELD ROAST

you're welcome.
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options
    Is bood high or low in calories?

In all seriousness if you don't want to don't unless certain foods are giving you problems.
    I'm blessed with A negative blood and my doctor has mentions that is the big contributing factor in why beef gives my stomach horrendous pains. Mostly because he can't determine any other reason, and he's seen others with A negative blood have similar issues. I've cut beef from my diet and my stomach feels a lot better.

sorry that was kind of irrelevant. /shrug I think my point was sometimes blood can effect digestion or something to that effect. idk.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It's like a horoscope for nutrition.
    Awesome.
    My mom tried this diet back in the '80's. After that, she tried a diet where she filtered everything through red light first.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's like a horoscope for nutrition.
    Awesome.
    My mom tried this diet back in the '80's. After that, she tried a diet where she filtered everything through red light first.

Like just passed it by the light or literally ate under the red light? Because there is scientific evidence that changing perception of color of food impacts rates and amounts of foods eaten.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0899900704001510
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I bounced this off my Doctor and he said there is no scientific findings to support this kind fo Diet. So I stopped.

Wouldn't be the first time a doctor was wrong or gave bad advice - in this case I think it's the right advice tho :)
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Junk science.

Can't use the word science !! It's as unscientific as you can get.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer a few years ago that had me on that diet. Fortunately, I'm the "caveman" type (O). Supposedly, I do best on a protein diet.
    I did it for a year. I cut out dairy, wheat, peanut butter. It was difficult. I lost only 30 lbs.
    It's an ok diet..but not very practical, and hard to stick with.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    Taking a consensus from the group here is proof positive there's money to made for just about anything you can think of without actually having to back up those claims, lets face it, a broken watch is right twice a day :smile:
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I hope i have the blood type that gets to eat Mexican food and brownies. Which one is that?
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous to choose diet based on blood type.

According to that, I should eat plenty of meat and avoid grains.. but I went vegan almost a year ago and have never felt better. Large amounts of meat aren't healthy anyways. I think people should do whatever makes them feel best, not what some blood type theory says. Try different things, and choose your diet based on what you can maintain long-term. What makes you FEEL best is what you'll be able to stick with for life (and therefore maintaining weight loss once goal is reached). Good luck finding what works for you.
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    When I first about it I started laughing. Crock of ***. Especially when their recommendations were the opposite of what my body responds well to
  • RACHEALK1019
    Options
    According to the books I've read the blood type that we've all derived from our ancestors had to do with their diets, essentially. Basically, type "whatever" was in the colder regions, regions where mostly grains, fruits not dairy-eaters, i.e. The book I'm reading now talks about how to "eat instinctively." The author uses the horse and lioness as an example. He points out how horses eat oats in the fields rather than chasing squirrels or rabbits in search of meat and vice versus for the lionesses in the wilderness. Not everyone buys into every diet concept( how could we?).
    What works for one may not work for another of course. It is always good to try new things until we find what does. Don't you think?
  • RACHEALK1019
    Options
    I'm confused how people in the 1700's would have known their blood type in order to eat in a specific way? Pretty sure it's not at all relevant....

According to the books I've read the blood type that we've all derived from our ancestors had to do with their diets, essentially. Basically, type "whatever" was in the colder regions, regions where mostly grains, fruits not dairy-eaters, i.e. The book I'm reading now talks about how to "eat instinctively." The author uses the horse and lioness as an example. He points out how horses eat oats in the fields rather than chasing squirrels or rabbits in search of meat and vice versus for the lionesses in the wilderness. Not everyone buys into every diet concept( how could we?).
    What works for one may not work for another of course. It is always good to try new things until we find what does. Don't you think?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm confused how people in the 1700's would have known their blood type in order to eat in a specific way? Pretty sure it's not at all relevant....

I understand you are relating what you've read, I am address the information provided to you - not you directly - but that is a silly point. It's far more than instinctive eating. Carnivores have sharp teeth for tearig meat, certain digestive tracks for breaking down meat, predators have certain adaptations to help them hunt better, whether its eyesight, speed, etc. Herbiovores likewise. Even taste buds are adapted to attract animals to what they need to survive. Prey animals have specific adaptions to help them avoid being caught. They are specifically built for what they eat, it's not a matter of choice. A horse could not eat squirrels. It would be a huge amount of energy expenditure for them to catch one for little reward. Likewise a lioness cannot eat a herbivore diet.
    It's not even close to the same idea.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    That and blood types didn't form based on region. If that was true, then blood types would have so much variance between individuals around the world. There probably also wouldn't be the several hundred blood types that currently exist (A, B, AB, and O are the most common, but there are hundreds more, especially when you take into account the 30 different methods of classifying blood type.)

Following a "blood type" diet is no different than following an "eye color" diet, a "hair color" diet, or a "toe size" diet.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

You are literally comparing apples to oranges by saying, "What works for one may not work for another" using a comparison between a HORSE and a LIONESS. I guess what works for one mammal may not work for another, if that's what you mean?
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Another way to appear different and make money from gullible folks.
  • Peechuz4You
    Peechuz4You Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello - I've been on the new lifestyle of eating for about 2 weeks; I've lost almost 5 pounds; I went to Dr. D'Adamo's website and did some analyses as I am A+. If you go to his website, he has loads of info with regard to your blood type ..... I took it a step further and purchased his Genotype book - lots of Q&A with regard to family history, body type, measurements (not the typical stuff - more like hip-leg ratio, finger print analysis - lots of good stuff)l, I also purchased his online program (one time purchase) called SwamiXpress - based on your genotype, it provides you with recipes and a guide back based on your allowable (beneficial) foods. As an A, I follow a more vegetarian based plan because we do not digest proteins well; I've always consumed more than enough protein so this was a change to choose from plant proteins; I've felt so much better, healthwise. I do count my calories on MFP, but am concentrating on more of the quality of food that I eat. I am a 56 yr old gal with hormonal weight gain over the past year or two - I've tried so many plans with little success and don't consider it a diet, but a new way of eating. I would recommend this to anymore - it just makes good sense and to work with your genetics, not against them. Any other questions - let me know.:smile:
  • iamlaprell
    iamlaprell Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I met a man once who followed the blood type diet strictly and his results were nothing short of astonishing!!! This guy looked like he was an olympic athlete and I very rarely saw him work out!!! He showed me a picture of himself at 350 lbs and he was about my height 5'5", let's just say the man in the picture could have fit four of him in his body! And the thing was he wasn't skinny fat, but really really hot! I've been toying with buying the book as I can't find enough info online to constitute an entire eating plan.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money. There's nothing to this, scientifically. If there was, everyone with thread blood type would have he same food allergies, but they don't. Also, people with different blood types can have the same food allergies. That should be impossible if this "blood type diet" malarkey was true. It's just a money making scheme. It works based on the placebo effect.