Anyone heard of the blood type diet? What's your take?

Options

Replies

• envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    B-b-b-bull****!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    It's like a horoscope for nutrition.

Right. If there were any credence to this only certain blood types in the western population would be getting fat. Instead...EVERYONE is.
  • SoulReckoning
    SoulReckoning Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I read the dos and don'ts for my blood type once. And a majority of the don'ts I already try to avoid because I've learned they upset my stomach. My current problem is eating too much of the dos and the foods that aren't on any list. lol. I have however, traced my slight (not severe, just slight) intolerance of lactose and dairy products to being Native American. Alot of that side of my family it turns out avoids dairy also because they don't digest it well or the doctors have told them it's wreaking havoc on their intestines. Dairy was also on my don't list.

I find the dairy thing humorous in the sense that, we used to get "commods" (commodities) from a government funded Native American Indian ran program...and the majority of it was milks, cheeses, yogurts, dairy stuffs! lol.

I think it's a great theory that I would like to see some research and studies on. I mean, it would be nice to get an explanation as to why we have different blood types...surely there was a biological / evolutionary purpose...maybe there is and I just can't remember...
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    BALDERDASH!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It has no scientific basis behind it. Ignore it.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I prefer the eye color diet. I have green eyes, so I stay away from eggplant and eat lots of orange-colored fruits and vegetables.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I prefer the eye color diet. I have green eyes, so I stay away from eggplant and eat lots of orange-colored fruits and vegetables.

But eggplant goes so nicely with green, I would have thought they were ok to eat.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    You're doing it wrong. Purple enhances green eyes. Orange clashes with them.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Ignore the negative nellies. Blood is rich in iron and protein; just make sure you know where your blood is coming from!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

But eggplant goes so nicely with green, I would have thought they were ok to eat.
    common misconception.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Skepdic has a takedown:
    http://www.skepdic.com/bloodtypediet.html

In short: the author has never performed studies to test his theories, and his theories are built upon shoddy information.

This^^^^ No case study = fail.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I should avoid chicken because it's going to give me a stroke.
    Then I should eat goat, lamb, mutton, rabbit and venison.

YEAH!

No.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It's hogwash. Almost any "diet" works if you stick with it. I choose to eat the things I like, in normal portions, in a way that I can sustain for the rest of my life. What happens when you go off those diets? Have you learned anything about the proper way to eat? Can you maintain it for the rest of your life?
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I know a guy who heard of it from a neighbor who is always into the "diet fad of the month" club. He had been noticing that his thinking got real foggy and made it hard to function after eating certain things so when he read that type O isn't supposed to have wheat, he tried it and said his problems cleared up. Whether that really has anything to do with his blood type is debatable in my book. I think it's more likely he had an undiagnosed gluten intolerance so cutting out the wheat products eliminated the problem. But I'm not a doctor....what do I know.....
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My mom swears by it, and constantly tells me since I'm an AB I need to avoid chicken and oranges. Two of my favorite foods, um EFF that noise. She has been avoiding certain foods for years just because of this BS. She is still 50 lbs overweight.

There's your anecdote.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I should avoid chicken because it's going to give me a stroke.
    Then I should eat goat, lamb, mutton, rabbit and venison.

YEAH!

No.

I'd take that menu..lol, although I've never had goat...lol.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I didn't watch Twilight, but I bet there is a better way with just a eating above your BMI and below your TDEE.
  • Absandok23
    Absandok23 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I tried it for two weeks, but it said I should not eat chicken and I LIVE on chicken. I gained about 5 pounds because I started eating beef instead. I did not feel any better either!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I prefer the DropTheDeuce diet...if it sinks, you're on target....