5 Truths about weight loss and people in general...

Replies

• chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    135178426286078449_uOaGrP39_c.jpg
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    JUST that "method"....

I would openly say JUST concentrating on that is usually quite ineffective at HELPING PEOPLE MAINTAIN A HEALTHY WEIGHT FOR THEIR WHOLE LIVES.

No, that doesnt mean they cannot go super anal, and just eat significantly less for 6 month, lost e a pile of fat and muscle and feel good about posting a lady bug moving towards a meaningless number.

Im not quibbling about that....maybe you need to reread my posts in this thread.

I already said there are many ways to lose weight...including basically being imprisoned and having your caloric intake drastically limited.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    troll thread is trolling.

i hope newbs don't get sucked in.

the OP had so many troll posts deleted by the mods yesterday that he was down to a -1 (minus 1) post count at one point.

I'm a relative Newbie.... what's a troll? (within MFP context, not the little doll with wild hair or legendary characters like fairies & hobbits)

Trolling:

The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
    Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    can everyone just stop calling people "simple minded," "morons," and junk like that. If you disagree or agree or whatever, than do that. no need for insults.

There are only two posters that are personally attacking other posters (OP and one other poster) and these two have been reported :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Yes, you are right, knowledgeable people never gain weight due to factors like stress, work, or simply bad choices....

This thread is pretty LOL considering most of the things I said are like well established science and embraced by virtually the entire weight loss medical community.

AGAIN, FOR THE SLOWER PEOPLE....

I AM NOT SAYING YOU SHOULDNT EAT LESS THAN YOU EXPEND CALORICALLY...NOWHERE DID I SAY THIS.

Thank you...lol.

Then please could you explain it to us dim witted souls how this comment "Why calorie in calorie out is moronic." ties with the above shouty comment.

What exactly are you trying to say? What is your point?

Eating 1400 calories of ice cream per day while burning 2500 calories per day is moronic. See how easy that was?

Are you calling me a moron?

And I was asking the OP btw. And where are you getting 1,400 calories of ice cream?

Ok, yes, after this post I include you in the moron category. I made it up. The point is, calories in vs calories out works, but it needs to be the right calories. FOR EXAMPLE if your goal is 1400 cals then 1400 cals of ice cream is not going to be a great plan for losing weight.

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    I agree with most of this....but it's hard to take advice from someone who has 53lbs to lose and has lost 0lbs.

Come talk to us when you have a 6-pack. :-)

Though, if you bring me a 6-pack of Founder's Porter, you can spout for hours about whatever you want.

I've seen a few people post this and it's pretty stupid. Maybe he has already lost 150 pounds and needs to lose 50 more after joining MFP. Would you put in the weight that you started at years ago or would you use the weight you started MFP at? I know I lost quite a bit before I joined so my ticker doesn't represent what I have lost total, it represents what I have lost since joining. Some of you people just don't use that gray thing between your ears very well.

Who exactly would that be that does not use that gray thing between their ears?

If you can't tell by reading some of the stupid posts then you may fall into the category yourself.

Are you calling me stupid?

Careful. I smell a trap here.

New user posts bad info, suddenly staunchly defended by another user, experienced users refute, names get called...

Long time, helpful people once again end up getting banned for junk science and someone with an agenda/products to push.

ABANDON THREAD!!!

agreed.

this is the guy from yesterday who didnt get enough attention from his antics yet...

not worth the energy
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Yes, you are right, knowledgeable people never gain weight due to factors like stress, work, or simply bad choices....

This thread is pretty LOL considering most of the things I said are like well established science and embraced by virtually the entire weight loss medical community.

I AM NOT SAYING YOU SHOULDNT EAT LESS THAN YOU EXPEND CALORICALLY...NOWHERE DID I SAY THIS.

Thank you...lol.

Then please could you explain it to us dim witted souls how this comment "Why calorie in calorie out is moronic." ties with the above shouty comment.

Eating 1400 calories of ice cream per day while burning 2500 calories per day is moronic. See how easy that was?

And I was asking the OP btw. And where are you getting 1,400 calories of ice cream?

Ok, yes, after this post I include you in the moron category. I made it up. The point is, calories in vs calories out works, but it needs to be the right calories. FOR EXAMPLE if your goal is 1400 cals then 1400 cals of ice cream is not going to be a great plan for losing weight.

Also, people tend to not understand how variable calories out is based on activity levels/lean mass etc....so it is hardly a perfect science unless you have a human performance lab and once a week access to it.

AGAIN, NO ONE IS SAYING CONSUMING LESS THAN YOU EXPEND CALORICALLY IS BAD.....OR NO EFFECTIVE IN WEIGHTLOSS.....

I CAN ONLY REPEAT THIS SO MANY TIMES FOLKS.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    can everyone just stop calling people "simple minded," "morons," and junk like that. If you disagree or agree or whatever, than do that. no need for insults.

There are only two posters that are personally attacking other posters (OP and one other poster) and these two have been reported :smile:

Thankfully we have the hall monitor here so the thread will get closed and people who don't understand basic sentences will never get to see explanations.
  • moosegt35

the word you are looking for is then.
  • bonkers1224
    bonkers1224 Posts: 80 Member
    I was interested...until you said "calorie in calorie out is moronic."

So I lost 73 pounds putting less calories in and putting more calories out. And I'm not a moron. Tuned you right out.
    [/
    quote]

So true!!!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Oh, it's you again.

Decided you like the social aspect of MFP, did you?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    An argument that makes about as much sense as the original post. Legit in the context of this thread.

It actually does make sense. Calories in vs calories out by itself IS moronic. While calorie counting is a great way to lose weight, eating the right calories is the key to success. Pretty simple for the not so simple minded.

What about ^^this makes counting calories moronic. Are you saying you should not count them at all?

No one said counting calories is moronic, moron.

You might want to read the rules. Insulting others like you did is a no-no.
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    The capslock, bro....seriously! :noway:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,733 Member
    troll thread is trolling.

i hope newbs don't get sucked in.

the OP had so many troll posts deleted by the mods yesterday that he was down to a -1 (minus 1) post count at one point.

I'm a relative Newbie.... what's a troll? (within MFP context, not the little doll with wild hair or legendary characters like fairies & hobbits)

alot of people here misuse the term. you'll see people called trolls simply for disagreeing with somebody else.

for example,

person #1: i'm special. what works for me might not work for you.
    person #2: no, you're not special. it works the same for all of us.
    person #1: shut up! you're a troll.

the real definition of a troll is somebody who comes onto a forum with the sole purpose of stirring up trouble and making people angry by posting outrageous and insulting things, for their own amusement.

we do get real trolls on here from time to time. you can decide for yourself if the OP fits that category.

there's also such a thing as a "sock puppet" account. this is a fake account that a troll will use to come in and defend what the troll has posted, so it looks like he has supporters, but really it's the same person behind both accounts.

again, i'll leave it to you decide if we have a sock puppet account on this thread.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    TL;DR
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    An argument that makes about as much sense as the original post. Legit in the context of this thread.

It actually does make sense. Calories in vs calories out by itself IS moronic. While calorie counting is a great way to lose weight, eating the right calories is the key to success. Pretty simple for the not so simple minded.

What about ^^this makes counting calories moronic. Are you saying you should not count them at all?

Thank you again :flowerforyou:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    I was interested...until you said "calorie in calorie out is moronic."

So I lost 73 pounds putting less calories in and putting more calories out. And I'm not a moron. Tuned you right out.

Actually I'm quite interested to hear why he thinks this is wrong.

I know this wasn't directed at me but the reason is that we have metabolic ward studies dating back to the 1930s which have never failed to achieve fat loss when a calorie deficit has been established.

Having said that where diets routinely fail is not in weight loss. That's rather easy. It is long term weight maintenance which is the true prize and setting up the diet correctly to achieve this end game.

I'm keeping an open mind on this thread...for now.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member

Thank you...lol.

Also, people tend to not understand how variable calories out is based on activity levels/lean mass etc....so it is hardly a perfect science unless you have a human performance lab and once a week access to it.

AGAIN, NO ONE IS SAYING CONSUMING LESS THAN YOU EXPEND CALORICALLY IS BAD.....OR NO EFFECTIVE IN WEIGHTLOSS.....

Ok thanks. Also, your caps lock seems to be stuck.
  • moosegt35

Thank you...lol.

I agree, but the arguments are coming from people who think the MFP calculator tells you how many calories you burn per day based on your age, height, weight and what kind of job you have.
  • moosegt35

You might want to read the rules. Insulting others like you did is a no-no.

then call the cops captain save a h0
This discussion has been closed.