Paleo / Gluten Free Diets

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There really is no such thing as "whole grain". You can't eat it straight from the plant out of a field and it has to be highly processed in order to be edible.

This is not true. "Whole grain" does not refer to the whole plant, it is a term that means the germ and bran were not removed before consumption. It is possible to eat many grains "processing" them with nothing other than your hands.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I haven't read any of the posts so I'm sorry if this has been said, but I do not recommend going GF for diet purposes. GF food is high in calories and if you don't have an intolerance, there really isn't a reason to go GF.

Both are lifestyles that take commitment.

Gluten substitutes like the bread and pastries, etc are way high in calories and in fat. Thats why if you go GF you should really go Paleo. I indulge in a GF muffin or bagel now and then but most of the time its not worth burning the extra calories.

Processed GF products like bread and pastas may be high calorie and expensive, but brown rice is a GF grain and is fairly cheap. Even GF grains like quinoa, buckwheat and millet can often be affordable as more and more people want GF products.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Gluten doesn't bother me but I eat pretty close to Paleo any way. I add legumes where they suggest not to. It is great. Sometimes i sneak in a little milk just 'cuz!

I would try gluten free for a week and see how you feel. Once you know if gluten is not your friend, Paleo isa great way to combat. And lose weight, think more clearly. Wish helped me spell better... oh well!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Helps with what?

I'm just trying to explain that the fact you have to peel something doesn't make it bad for you, but you HAVE to do severe processing to grains in order to keep them from being unhealthy. In fact the only grain I would consider un-harmful is white rice.

Whether you consider something healthy does not determine whether it is, in fact, healthy. Eat the way you want, but I prefer to stick to scientific evidence to decide healthy vs. unhealthy for me. Including legumes and grains pretty much daily has been working for 1/2 century for me.

Yeah, right.............just like the so called scientific evidence that stated that Cholesterol and saturated fat is what caused heart disease and now you have so many heart doctors and surgeons coming out saying it is the refined grains and other refined carbohydrates and sugar that causes it, not the cholesterol and saturated fat.

<BIG roll eyes> The new scientific research is telling a much different story than what you have been told. I will continue to go with the NEWEST research, not research that is so old and outdated.

And I will say this..............the way I went back to eating, is the way I grew up eating. To have even home made bread, or any heavy carbohydrates when I was growing up was a rare thing. We grew up eating, meats, fats, fruits and vegetables and RAW dairy straight from the farm.

There is something to that, as that is how most farmers live still where I grew up and now live again.

Here is just one of many doctors that are starting to speak out more and more:

http://www.sott.net/article/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    There really is no such thing as "whole grain". You can't eat it straight from the plant out of a field and it has to be highly processed in order to be edible.

This is not true. "Whole grain" does not refer to the whole plant, it is a term that means the germ and bran were not removed before consumption. It is possible to eat many grains "processing" them with nothing other than your hands.

That small sprinkling of what they call whole grain is ground up so fine and still have to be fortied with nutrients because yes, they are still stripping the nutrients out when they process it to be fit to be consumed.

That sounds real healthy. I prefer to eat things that don't need to be fortified with nutrients to be eaten and considered healthy.

You are the exact type of person (and there are many of you out there) that they want. Sheeple that just eat up and drink the koolaid of false knowledge they feed you.

As someone else mentioned, white rice is the only "safe" grain, if there are any safe grains.

Quinoa is not a grain either. It is a seed.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

That small sprinkling of what they call whole grain is ground up so fine and still have to be fortied with nutrients because yes, they are still stripping the nutrients out when they process it to be fit to be consumed.

That sounds real healthy. I prefer to eat things that don't need to be fortified with nutrients to be eaten and considered healthy.

You are the exact type of person (and there are many of you out there) that they want. Sheeple that just eat up and drink the koolaid of false knowledge they feed you.

As someone else mentioned, white rice is the only "safe" grain, if there are any safe grains.

News flash, grains are seeds too. How do you think wheat reproduces? Live birth?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Grains are not the healthy source they are made out to be. There are many other nutritional sources that provide higher amounts of nutrients, as I mentioned in my first post, fruits and vegetables.

It is not a ridiculous argument at all. It is a true statement to say that there are no nutrients in grains that can't be obtained from other sources (fruits and vegetables). After all, grains have to be fortified to be nutritious, fruits and vegetables don't.

Refined grains are fortified in the UK because refining strips them of their nutrients, wholegrains are not. If what you claim is true I have no idea why wholegrains are fortified in the US. Fruits and vegetables are not a like-for-like substitute for the nutrients in grains - beans, lentils, nuts and seeds are closer.

I am not aware of whole grains being fortified in the US. Sounds like someone is making things up.

I am not making anything up. All breads and grain products (cereals) are fortified..........even the ones that say "whole grain".

Sure there is. For example whole oats, brown and wild rice, barley, buckwheat, quinoa, rye, bulgar and corn are whole grains.

Quinoa is not a grain, it is a seed.

And these are not technically "whole grains"................they are still highly processed in order to be eaten. You can't go to any field and pick these items and eat them.

And really, the only "whole grain" are rice and corn (which we both know if not very nutritious and doesn't even digest in our system, so it is useless to eat).

I don't eat for the reasons that you all eat. I eat for nutriiton and health reasons. Not to maintain some arbitrary calorie goal.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

News flash, grains are seeds too. How do you think wheat reproduces? Live birth?

Grains are grasses if you want to get technical. Not all grains are seeds. Quinoa is more closelessy related to beets and tumbleweed, not wheat, rye or barley.
  • brower47
    Options

Grains are grasses if you want to get technical. Not all grains are seeds. Quinoa is more closelessy related to beets and tumbleweed, not wheat, rye or barley.

I don't want to get technical, I want to get accurate.

Grains are not grasses but a part of them. All grains are seeds. Yes, they are in a different class of plants but that doesn't change that grains are seeds just as much as quinoa. Merriam Webster's definition of a grain: a seed or fruit of a cereal grass.
  • wannabtight
    wannabtight Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I eat paleo and I actually think more clearly and I'm embarrassed to say I'm not as quick to anger when avoiding gluten.

I have massive mood swings if I eat gluten. I have Celiacs, and if I even have the smallest bit I'm flipping out over every little thing. Its awful.

Wow - this is the first I've heard of mood swings on gluten! And I thought I was the only one! Ever since I went off of gluten, I have had virtually NO PMS. And trust me, the PMS I had was so profoundly bad that I'd be a raging lunatic one moment, a crying nut job the next. I'd even catch myself laughing WHILE crying.

I thought it was all in my head -- but sure enough, I haven't had bad PMS in two years -- and I'm on the cusp of menopause.

Thanks for sharing, I don't feel so crazy anymore!

I'm actually three weeks into a GF trial to see if gluten affects my moods as well. I have PMDD, aka PMS on crack. I'm in the worst week of the PMDD cycle right now and I feel great. It wasn't nearly as hard to avoid the gluten as I thought it would be (since I'm such a carb wh0re). I've just been making smarter choices. I feel great, not bloaty, and I've been better able to stick to my calorie range. I've also lost almost 3 lbs in three weeks.

I think this may be a permanent change for me. I am a beer lover though, so I may cheat once in a while and I'm not too worried about cross contamination as I don't have celiac or a sensitivity (that I know of), but the drastic reduction in my gluten consumption has definitely been positive for me. Sorry for crazy run-on sentence.

There is gluten free beer out there! I can't remember the name, but do a search for it and get some. Several restaurants have added it to their stock as a way to accommodate those with food allergens. I'm not a beer drinker (never was), but I know brands exist -- and you won't be need to give up your beer!
    I tried it and it is very yeasty tasting.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Wild rice is technically a seed too. Tomatoes are not a vegetable. Strawberries are not a berry. So what?

Grains are only ground to make flour. There are plenty of unfortified flours available as well as unfortified breads. These things are fortified because the typical diet is devoid of so many nutrients but most diets include bread. The same reason they put iodine in salt and vitamin D in milk. These are common foods and good way to get nutrients that are commonly lacking in the average diet.
  • karrieamandakeeps
    Options
    Its tasty, healthier, & yummy but its expensive(too me anyhow).I kinda didn't get a say in it since I'm GF for Celiacs. I baked some GF cinnamon rolls for the holidays and made them with egg whites and used low fat healthy ingredients and my kids loved them more than store bought Christmas cookies.
  • brower47
    Options
    Its tasty, healthier, & yummy but its expensive(too me anyhow).I kinda didn't get a say in it since I'm GF for Celiacs. I baked some GF cinnamon rolls for the holidays and made them with egg whites and used low fat healthy ingredients and my kids loved them more than store bought Christmas cookies.

MMM, cinnamon rolls... GF or reg, delicious!
  • christinelyn
    christinelyn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had gone gluten free because I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and I went to a Homeopathic Doctor and found I was gluten sensitive. Also I need to stay away from the nightshade foods also( white potatoe, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant), and a few other foods for me like eggs, brown rice. Since cutting back on the gluten my joint pain has eased up alot and I stopped taking my meds for the Fibromyalgia.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

lol, just keep posting the kind of nonsense in your last few posts and no one will have to challenge your understanding and credibility. You do it for them!!
  • christinelyn
    christinelyn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @mmapags...who would that comment be directed to if you don't mind me asking?
  • wvfrog22
    Options
    I eat paleo and I actually think more clearly and I'm embarrassed to say I'm not as quick to anger when avoiding gluten.

True...I've noticed that since I cut out carbs I am no longer getting that 2:30 or 3:30 feeling and I am much cooler headed.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Yeah, right.............just like the so called scientific evidence that stated that Cholesterol and saturated fat is what caused heart disease and now you have so many heart doctors and surgeons coming out saying it is the refined grains and other refined carbohydrates and sugar that causes it, not the cholesterol and saturated fat.

<BIG roll eyes> The new scientific research is telling a much different story than what you have been told. I will continue to go with the NEWEST research, not research that is so old and outdated.

And I will say this..............the way I went back to eating, is the way I grew up eating. To have even home made bread, or any heavy carbohydrates when I was growing up was a rare thing. We grew up eating, meats, fats, fruits and vegetables and RAW dairy straight from the farm.

There is something to that, as that is how most farmers live still where I grew up and now live again.

Here is just one of many doctors that are starting to speak out more and more:

http://www.sott.net/article/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease

You diss all grain consumption because of inflammation that can be caused when over consumed, but you promote saturated fat which is also inflammatory.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    GF craft beer New Planet...Very good and brewed by someone diagnosed with celiac that was a craft brew lover. Even their IPA tastes great!

I go as GF as I can as I have noticed it causes me issues as well in large amounts. No celiac diagnosis though. I am also dairy allergic so I am almost there to paleo, but honestly Paleo takes a lot of time commitment and personally I haven't found a good rhythm to really stick to it 100% with my schedule right now. I am hopeful that when Graduate School is over I can focus on it more because it is a lifestyle change not a diet. Lately my free time outside of work and my workout routine is just consumed with homework and thesis writing.

Good luck with whatever lifestyle change you decide to make!
  • brower47
    Options
    @mmapags...who would that comment be directed to if you don't mind me asking?

His comment was directed at PaleoPath4lyf. He was responding to the comment about grains not being seeds.