Loosening Up in the Gym- Ladies

So... last night, I was totally excited about doing a few circuits with weightlifting, jump-roping, step-up's etc. and I get to the gym and it's totally packed out. In normal fashion, all the men were on the weightlifting side of the gym and all of the women were on treadmills/ ellipticals. When I went into the "men side," I felt like a total alien! Most men have that 30-60 second resting period where they are walking around a bit... talking with the other guy thats resting. It took me about 2 minutes of awkwardness to take my walk of shame back to the treadmill! So instead of getting this super awesome workout, I (maybe) burned 200 calories on the treadmill.

So just curious, ladies... how do you loosen up at the gym on the "guys side"? I know these guys aren't even close to caring what I am doing but I totally feel uncomfortable when it's packed out like that.

I did try to get a really good workout in on the treadmill. I learned this circuit for the treadmill : http://youtu.be/GVxoP3Fy4TQ

Replies

• jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Don't think of it as the "guys side", you belong there as much as they do.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Unfortunate. And they're all going to try to help you with your form and probably will be incorrect. Ugh. It must suck to be a female trying to lift.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    I put my headphones in and get to work :)
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    It may feel awkward at first but eventually you will be at ease over there. It is everyones side :)
  • Starleng
    Starleng Posts: 52 Member
    I don't focus on them. I focus on my needs and go for it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    How do you loosen up - maybe have a few drinks prior?

Really, what kind of answer are you really looking for here? You just have to suck it up and do it. Worst case, go at a time when no one else is there.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    I workout at home. But sometimes I go to the gym with a girl friend. We only stay in the weight lifting section.
    We just walk in like we own the place and get to work.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Find a friend to work out with you or do a session or two with the trainer. Once you are confident in what you are doing, you will have no problem working out with the guys. The other thing that helped my confidence was a weight lifting class. I learned proper form and had a good base of what to do for each body part.
  • I definatly agree- it's everyones side... I pay for it just like they do! I saw one lady going to town on that side and I was totally envious!
  • jrowens3224
    jrowens3224 Posts: 31 Member
    I went with my husband for the first couple times...now I'm pretty comfortable going by myself. Do you have a friend (female or male) you could go with at first?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I used to go with my bf in the beginning - he introduced me to weights. After a while we couldn't always go together because of our work schedules so I just had to suck it up and go by myself. It's hard at first but it does get easier, promise :)

Maybe start off going when it's not so busy. Get a feel for the weights and all the exercises and then once you feel more comfortable, and it becomes more of your routine (you just HAVE to go, mentality) then you can start going when there's more crowds.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Don't think of it as the "guys side", you belong there as much as they do.

Exactly!

Next time, just go and do your thing. Don't think about how anyone else is talking, just think about your next rep and do your own little walk around while you're waiting.
  • Gemalar
    Gemalar Posts: 301 Member
    I just head into the weights section (which is pretty much the "guys side") and smile, I have just as much right to be there as anyone else, an I figure that they are too busy doing their own workout to be bothered about me being in there. :bigsmile:
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    I belong to a large gym chain and the weight lifting area always intimidated me. People were rude when I would ask if they were done with a piece, they refused to share even if they were doing a circuit...all that jazz.

I joined a cheap gym with my best female friend so we could lift together. Even when there's guys there we just walk in like we own it and I've never felt uncomfortable there at all.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    I love being the only woman in the free weight part of the gym. I really feel at home. I say you have to put your big girl panties on and fake it until you feel it.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    We won't bite
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Are you used to lifting at all ? You might get a personal trainer to get you started ..... that's what I did ...... it will cost some $$, but you'll get used to lifting & the "guys" will get used to seeing you there ..... just saying ......

Good luck !
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    I totally understand what the OP is saying. The guys DO act like they own the place and it's awkward for us. I pretty much retreat to the treadmills, too. It sucks.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    i never feel that way. I pay just as much as the "men" do..so I use the weight room without any issue. I think its neat seeing what workouts everyone is doing..adding different stuff to my workout..
  • Bringing a friend sounds good. I take a few classes at my gym and I'm sure that I could talk one of them into weight lifting with me. I think that once I get comfortable in there and know where everything is at and what I'm doing, then I'll feel more like I own it and can do it alone. Right now I'm kinda wandering around with a peice of paper in my hand (with my work outs) trying to find the right weights and all.