Loosening Up in the Gym- Ladies

Options

Replies

• LacyJean1
    LacyJean1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't focus on them. I focus on my needs and go for it.

This is exactly what I do.
  • deeray
    deeray Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I put my music in, shoot em a little smile, and get to work. Lol :wink:
  • Honeybea86
    Options
    The weight side is MY side!!!! lol you belong there just as much as any guy does. You may not lift as much (well some women do) but you are doing weight training. SO next time you feel awkward or uncomfortable just remember its your side too. Put in your ear buds grab your weights claim your bench and go at it girl. Never worry if people are watching, your there for you imagine your the only one there!
  • mindbodystrength
    Options
    Feel the fear and do it anyway. Claim your space in this world, and do what you need to do for YOU. Put your headphones on, get your mind in "badass warrior woman" mode, and do your thing. And don't you DARE let them intimidate you into another "walk of shame". You've got ONE shot at life hon, this ain't no dress rehearsal. :flowerforyou:
  • redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I can relate, at times I feel the same way, because you don't know if maybe your doing something wrong with the weights or they indeed are staring at you lol. I can agree with you with the men's side you don't see many woman over there because of that. What I do is put my head set on and my hat, and just be like let them stare. I need to get my work out on!! It is a peep talk tI need to give myself each time lol. Your not alone sister keep it pushing!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I can relate, at times I feel the same way, because you don't know if maybe your doing something wrong with the weights or they indeed are staring at you lol.

For the record, a lot of the guys in there don't know what they're doing either. As a matter of fact, I see more crappy form in my gym than good. So this is also a non-issue. Read up on good form before you go in and maybe you will be the one people are sneaking looks at to figure out how to do things.
  • wonderwoman_72
    Options
    I absolutely know how you feel. I had to take baby steps. I'd walk over, grab some barbells and then retreat to an open floor part of the gym to do my exercises. I read a lot of books and watched a lot of videos at home. Every week as I got more confident in my technique, I'd take more trips to the "other side." In 7 months, I'm now the Girl that benches, squats and deadlifts alongside the guys. And I LOVE it! We're all in there with our headphones on, doing our own thing. But seriously, there is nothing more empowering that being the only girl in the free weights and doing more heavy lifting than half of the guys!
    I'm a list person, so my advice would be to do some research and have a plan for what you want to tackle that day, even if it's just a couple of sets of something. That way you won't be trying to figure out in the middle of the gym what exercises you should try. Then just do it!
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I can identify so well with what the OP is saying! I thought the "free weights" room was part of the men's locker room for about 5 years (It's In the basement, seriously)..... but when I was ready to do this, my husband showed me around (his first time in that particular gym) and that was all I needed. Within a week, I made one male friend. I didn't realize all I needed was one friendly face who would ask where I was if I skipped a day or walk over and spot me even when I didn't ask for it. I just had to show up and breathe confidence into myself. It will open up a whole world for you, girl! Looking back, it was facing that "fear" in the face which has been one of my proudest moments. I hope it will be for you too :happy: Just go, go regularly, and be a badass!
  • LWolford84
    LWolford84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    Have a good plan when you go in, put your headphones on and do it. The more you lift the more at ease you will be. I honestly would feel like a goofball doing a fitness class as I never do them... it's like starting any new thing. Use proper gym etiquette focus on your workout and you'll be fine. Most guys are into their workout and are not paying attention to anyone else. I'm always glad when other women are hitting the weights.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Just like anything else that is new, just start a little bit at a time.
    Get used to that part of the gym, your routine, and YOUR gym, in particular.
    Don't be so psychological about it.
    Glad you are drawn to weights, I LOVE weightlifting!!!
    I started with a few basics, reviewed them over and over on Youtube.
    Eventually I got comfortable around a few people and asked some questions, too.
    I take my routine to the gym with me, on a small note pad, just to keep my mind directed.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Go in with a plan (know what you are going to do, know what weights you need, and what lifts you'll be doing).

I take a notebook which I track my lifts/weights and in my 'rest breaks' I note the number of reps I've done etc in it.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    People don't pay attention to what other people do as much as you think. Most people are in their own little world in the gym, so don't feel self conscious.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I just act like I belong there, because I do.
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I went on "guys side" for my weight training today, and there were these 2 men in their 40's gossiping on one of the machines. At that point I decided that if they can be there, then I can, because I was at least working out! I also got annoyed because I wanted to use it, but that's a different rant :smile:
  • Librariangetsfit
    Librariangetsfit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just walk in there and get to work. If you are unsure of form, get a trainer to show you what to do. Eventually you will love being on the girls, who ventures into the other side. Result from weight lifting are amazing, it gives you the shape you want. :)
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Put on your big girl panties and walk in there like you own the place. Grab your weights and start your routine. Crank your music and bust your a&s! They don't care if you are there! Most of the guys at my gym love seeing women lifting. Just this weekend, there were more women in the weight room than I have ever seen. It was a thing of beauty!
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I work out primarily in the guys' section because the music is better, unless it's packed, or I need a machine or weights that aren't available there. I've discovered that the best thing to do is just to focus on my workout and what I'm doing, because nobody else really pays attention to me. They're all focused on their own workouts... Unless I've been doing cardio and am stretching before I lift. That might draw attention sometimes, but I don't care. I'm just trying to count to 30 during each stretch without losing track of it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what the OP is saying. The guys DO act like they own the place and it's awkward for us. I pretty much retreat to the treadmills, too. It sucks.

It's scary at first, but I started out by going with my husband during slow times until I was comfortable with what I was doing. Now I just walk in like a regular. I still prefer to have my husband with me, because he's fun to be around, but I can go alone no problem now. It's all in the attitude. Fake the confidence until it comes naturally. :flowerforyou:
  • LLaceFace
    LLaceFace Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I completely understand how you feel! I used to run on the treadmill and just stare over at the other side and think about how bad I want to tone my arms and work on other areas other than cardio.... then one day I guess my desire to get stronger overcame my fear of big bulky men with metal in their hands and I walked straight over and asked someone to show me how to use a few machines to tone my "trouble areas" He was actually really nice and showed me around and made me feel comfortable in this previously scary place.
    Now I have a few "friends" on the weight side of the gym and I dont feel so out of place when I am lifting...
  • LaPipebomb
    LaPipebomb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I skipped what everyone else posted, but I know how you feel. I felt the same way, initially. Most people working out are in their own little world, and aren't concerned with the comings and goings of others unless you're utilizing a piece of equipment they might be needing. I just pop my headphones in and, as with anything else in life, put on an air of confidence, and eventually you'll feel more comfortable.

As for what I do on the weights side, I'm fond of hammer curls, overhead tricep extensions, bench press, power cleans, deadlifts, squats (with or without weights depending on what I'm doing), box jumps, etc.

The one thing I'm still apprehensive about is asking someone I don't know, for a spot. Where I used to live, I had a really awesome lifting partner, but he moved away and then so did I. Now I've got to readjust to this new gym, and my boyfriend (who has no experience with free weights) doesn't feel he is ready to deviate from the circuit training machines to work free weights with me.

Bottom line, keep your confidence up! You belong there just as much as they do! You pay the same membership fee. Don't let them muscle you out of a spot in the weight area.