Loosening Up in the Gym- Ladies

Options

Replies

• Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I cannot speak for all the guys. But, in my case, I am very impressed and feel a great deal of respect when I see a woman lifting. I try to stay out of her way.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    So just curious, ladies... how do you loosen up at the gym on the "guys side"? I know these guys aren't even close to caring what I am doing but I totally feel uncomfortable when it's packed out like that.

I'm a fat chick with anxiety, and if I can do my business on the "guys side" of the gym, so can you.

There are about 3-5 trainers walking around at my gym, and I bug them a lot between sets, asking questions, getting tips and form checks. I write down my progress in my gym logbook. Fiddle around with my ipod. Blow my nose. Wipe my equipment down. Refill my water bottle. There a lots of things to do so you're not just standing around :smile:
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I only use the free weight side - honestly, there is so much more you can do on the free weight side. You will also make more of a difference in your body if you spend more time with the weights than with the treadmill.

If you are uncomfortable, go two or three times during a time of day or weekend when it is not as busy and get your routine down. When you are confident with what you are doing, you won't even notice the other folks around you. You'll be just waiting for your next set. If you feel that unfamiliar with the equipment, hire a trainer for an hour. Tell them that you want a basic, compound lifting freeweight routine (squats, deadlift, bench press, overhead, flys are some of the basics and great lifts) and have him or her walk you through a program. It would be worth the $50 or so bucks.

It can be intimidating for many women. That is a normal feeling. But once you own your routine, you seriously won't even notice.
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I find women gawk at me more when I am working out than men do - any workout, not necessarily weights. Women, in general, are judgey. They judge your form, your routine, etc. Women are also observers, we want to know what everyone else is doing so I feel like women watch more than men.

It seems like men tend to put their heads down and get the job done, and go home. I go to a very small gym currently, maybe things will change when I join a "real" gym. But for now, I go in with a plan, put my game face on and kick the gyms rear.

Put on your confident face, even when you aren't doing it perfectly. You will learn as you go. I second the idea of a trainer to get you started. You can do it!

Of course those are serous generalizations. There are some women who don't even glance up when someone approaches and there are men who gawk, judge and stare. But regardless of genders and who might be watching you, just be confident in yourself and your ability.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I don't look at anybody else. I focus on me!

Cause I know if I look up when squatting, guys will be checking me out. I know if I look up from bench presses, I'll get intimidated that everyone else is using big plates and I'm using 2.5s.

I have laser focus =)
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I work out at home now, but when I was in the weights area of the gym I was always treated with respect. I suspect that it was partly because I used good form, didn't waste space or time, and was willing to work in or allow someone to work in.

Second on using a trainer if you don't feel confident in setting up a workout.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I wish women would never feel this way! I think more women give me odd looks now than the men do...they are use to me now :wink:

I think women assume men will laugh and think the whole..she doesnt know what she is doing type thing.. but I get comments almost daily from males about how impressed they are..

Just do it..and enjoy it..and tune everyone out :) it's your body..and your gym!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I pay the same fees so that side is also my side! What helps me is having a PLAN. I follow NROL4W, so I have my little notepad with the workout laid out for me. I already know what I want to do, in what order, how to do it (reading up/watching youtube before going to the gym) and how long to rest. You may also want to consider working out in the early morning, my gym is empty then!
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I must go to a strange gym or something because it's pretty even with men and women on both "sides" of the gym.

must be nice. I've only seen 2 or 3 other women SERIOUSLY LIFTING in the free weights (and they only go late at night). usually when women are in that section they are either a) looking for their boyfriend or b) using the benches to do leg lifts.

most of the women in my gym use the weight machines not the free weights. I always feel so lonely. =( But once you establish yourself the guys will definitely respect you. I've been gettin a few compliments lately on how much I'm lifting. :blushing:
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Apparently the secret is to walk up to the biggest guy there and kick his *kitten*...
    ...no wait, that's how to survive in prison.
    To be fair, I think most people get a bit intimidated when they first start using the free weights section - even if they won't admit it!
    When I first joined a gym ( way back ) I was using mostly cardio and machines because the big dudes were pretty intimidating.
    And I had done some lifting in our school's gym for a few years. But it was a new kid on the block mentality.
    It's purely a mental thing, noone there is trying to be scary - but the good thing is you know that.
    So just wander over with purpose and get to work, after 5 minutes you'll be too sweaty to notice the people around you, just like they'll be too sweaty to notice you.
    Failing that, walk up to the biggest guy there....
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    The community center near me has a women's only night in their weight room once a week, so I'm going there to get comfortable in the weight room. Once I know what I'm doing and am comfortable with all the weights, I'm moving in at my regular gym.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    So just curious, ladies... how do you loosen up at the gym on the "guys side"? I know these guys aren't even close to caring what I am doing but I totally feel uncomfortable when it's packed out like that.

there's no such thing as a guy side or a girl side unless we're talking lockers and bathrooms. so, i'd suggest forgetting ideas like that.

you pay money the same as they do. this isn't grade school where boys and girls are expected to play on different sides of the yard.

woman up and go get your lift on! :happy: you'll find it's hard to worry about who may or may not be watching you when you're effectively using the weights
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Have some confidence girl! Most the guys don't care that you're over there, and if they do they're usually impressed that a girl is getting off the treadmill and lifting some weights! I've always been treated politely in the weight section. Offering to help me rack/unrack weights or offer tips on form.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I walk in like I own the place, do my workout, and peace out.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    1. buck up.
    2. bring a friend.
    3. zone out into your own little world with music in your years.
    4. walk in like you own it (much like everyone else does lol).
    5. focus on you.
    6. pretend everyone is in their undies.
    7. go at a non-busy time (every gym has slots that are slow)
  • wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    We'd be happy to have you and, as long as you ask at the appropriate time, we are more than happy to help you out. I don’t know anyone who isn’t willing to offer some advice if asked. After all, we all started somewhere.

So, get in there. Those weights won’t lift themselves!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Like lots of people have said... buck up and do what you have to do. yes, you will feel a little out of place for a while, but that will go away with time. And hey, they might be excited that a girl is lifting weights... the benches and machines will get wiped down!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    All the boys at my gym are like 20, so they don't really intimidate me. I just walk up the power rack and get started.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    So... last night, I was totally excited about doing a few circuits with weightlifting, jump-roping, step-up's etc. and I get to the gym and it's totally packed out. In normal fashion, all the men were on the weightlifting side of the gym and all of the women were on treadmills/ ellipticals. When I went into the "men side," I felt like a total alien! Most men have that 30-60 second resting period where they are walking around a bit... talking with the other guy thats resting. It took me about 2 minutes of awkwardness to take my walk of shame back to the treadmill! So instead of getting this super awesome workout, I (maybe) burned 200 calories on the treadmill.

I did try to get a really good workout in on the treadmill. I learned this circuit for the treadmill : http://youtu.be/GVxoP3Fy4TQ

No matter how uncomfortable and unsure of myself I may feel, I carry myself in there as though I own the weight room. Eventually, you will begin to feel as confident as you appear. I push myself as hard as I can, no matter what. I don't worry about how much anyone else is doing. I've found that I usually end up impressing those guys more often than not. If you get the impression that they are staring at you, they may be. But it's probably not because they resent you for daring to encroach on their territory, it's because they are quietly saying, "Impressive! It's not often that we see a chick who can lift like we do." At least, that's what I tell myself, anyway.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I put my headphones in and get to work :)

^^^This.