People who log your food should read this

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad I wasn't the only one who has come across this on numerous occasions!! Thanks everyone! With everyone correcting things we should be good!
    I questioned the weight on a product I wanted to eat. The container said 750g's and the actual weight was 600. Apparently a 20% discrepancy is allowable by law.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Here here
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This drives me crazy too!! I'm always double and triple checking to make sure things are right
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    I feel you, I only trust what I input only use the database if I have no other choice
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I wish MFP had a like button right now.

me too! this irritates the crap out of me!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Also people who clog up the database with their recipes. Ok, this might possibly be useful if the entry included say the recipe book the recipe was from, but what use is "homemade apple pie and custard, 1 serving", to anyone?!

I actually find the home made entry useful at times, only yesterday I had some home made apple cake, but I never made it, so have no clue what it's calorie content was, but used someones entry for it.

OK, not accurate but better than my guesstimate
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you can build up foods in your own personal database on this site, you just don't click the "add food to MFP database" option. The food is saved in "my foods" and only you can see it or find it when you search.

For anyone who's doing things a bit different, like not counting fibre carbs or protein calories, then it's better to keep it in your personal database and not include it in the main database. You can build up your own personal database of foods with the values calcuated according to your way of doing it, without causing problems for everyone who's counting calories the regular way.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I agree. :happy:
  • Shellsmiley
    Shellsmiley Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES!! I Agree - so many times I have looked up a Food in the Database, sitting here with the package in hand or nutritional info from the direct website for the specific food I am looking up, and it's wrong - I was thinking "Why did people enter it like 200 cals off with no fat when here is shows on this package there are 5 g fat and 300 cals"? WTF? I was thinking it's those people that like to cheat to ensure they are under on numbers.

That being said - I live in Canada and sometimes the food nutritional value IS different from the exact same thing in the USA because of different food standards. So I was search for CND things in data base and compare - and also search specific stores too see if anything comes up.

Thanks for this post - Very much appreciated!! :heart:
  • Miss_Aurora
    Options
    Let me start off with - yes, i agree with you to some extent. Although, something you may not have considered when posting this is that companies tweak their ingredients constantly. Just today, I found two individual packs of chips ahoy cookies with different nutrition facts on the back. One I bought a couple months ago and one I bought this past weekend. So, the new information came up incorrectly because it matched the old info.

so, it may not be the person entering the information, just that the information is old.

Was just going to say something similar to this!!

And I went into something .. looked up Nutrition information .. clicked "NO" in answer to if it was correct ... and it let me edit it.

Mind you ... I put the wrong amount in one field ... but realised my mistake and edited it. Human error occurs at time.

It's the same with people who say to eat back exercise calories .. but there can be more than one entry on the same item .. hundreds of calories per hour different.

Is there a reliable place for calories for those of us that don't have a calorie counting watch/device?
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I totally agree on this. I want to know calories for the obvious reasons but I am also using the nutritional information for sodium to help me keep my blood pressure down and cholesterol to keep my numbers in order. I also need to watch my sugar due to hypoglycemia. This has been educational for me as well but it really defeats the purpose if people are screwing with the truth.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I had a slice of chocolate cake for 106 calories on my birthday~~

LOL:smooched:
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Let me start off with - yes, i agree with you to some extent. Although, something you may not have considered when posting this is that companies tweak their ingredients constantly. Just today, I found two individual packs of chips ahoy cookies with different nutrition facts on the back. One I bought a couple months ago and one I bought this past weekend. So, the new information came up incorrectly because it matched the old info.

so, it may not be the person entering the information, just that the information is old.

This is almost exactly what I was going to post. In addition, the same foods have different makeups for different countries. Just another thing to consider.

This is so true.
    For example, a swedish bic mac burger is 450 calories, but if I just search "big mac" in the database alot of the entries are 500 or 550 calories and that's a pretty big diffrence to me with my 1250 calories a day.
    And I'm not even gonna compare the rest of the info...
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Amen
  • bcassill2013
    bcassill2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    New to MFP and Loving it, but, also a little annoyed at the large number of inaccurate food entries in the database.

Would be great if the site owners / moderators can do some fact checking of some kind to keep the database more accurate!!
  • lindseym18
    Options
    Thank you!!!!!! Sometimes it takes me forever to find the correct information on my foods! I must be the only one on this website who likes accurate micro-nutrients :mad:
  • anniemallais
    Options
    I wonder if this is why I'm showing over on a lot of area's, such as protein. I'm new to this and I'm using the web based MFP. So I really need to double check the packaging. Makes me a little irritated too. Does someone monitor this sort of thing, or are we all on our own with the database that is provided.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    There will always be differences between carb and fibre numbers on some items due to the different listing in the US and other countries.
  • lindseym18
    Options
    you can build up foods in your own personal database on this site, you just don't click the "add food to MFP database" option. The food is saved in "my foods" and only you can see it or find it when you search.

For anyone who's doing things a bit different, like not counting fibre carbs or protein calories, then it's better to keep it in your personal database and not include it in the main database. You can build up your own personal database of foods with the values calcuated according to your way of doing it, without causing problems for everyone who's counting calories the regular way.

Amen!!!!!