Does anyone get frustrated watching The Biggest Loser?

Options

Replies

• WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Because they lose SO much weight, SO quickly? I feel like it sets a bad example for people trying to lose weight the healthy way, 1-2 lbs a week. I'm happy for them when they do lose the weight because it is so life changing, but I often wonder for them how sustainable it can be when they get home. Just wanted to start a bit of conversation.

That is exactly why i don't watch it. it made me sad to see people upset they only lost 6 lbs a week and get down on themselves.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Sunday nights are reserved for Dexter, Bad Girls Club or Game of Thrones. The Biggest Loser can suck my toe.

Mine too, remove Bad Girls Club and replace with American Horror and you're on a winner!
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    Sunday nights are reserved for Dexter, Bad Girls Club or Game of Thrones. The Biggest Loser can suck my toe.

It's on Monday nights haha. My Sunday is for Game of Thrones as well. Or Walking Dead. Or Hell on Wheels.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Not planning on reading through the other comments to see if some of this has already been mentioned, but my answer is yes and here are my reasons....
    #1 a 'week' on the Biggest Loser is never actually a week. The first week, for instance is more than 2 weeks long. For people that overweight, it is quite possible to lose that much weight in over 2 weeks when you're first starting out. My first two weeks I lost 15 pounds or so, with no exercise and a 500 calorie a day deficit. Doesn't mean you should aim for it, just saying. They have other weeks (especially towards the end) that aren't anywhere near a week long.
    #2 the weigh ins you see on tv are not the actual weigh ins. They weigh them outside in the heat hours before on a livestock scale.
    #3 they stop drinking water 24 hours before weigh in.
    #4 the "last chance workout' you see in tv is NOT their last workout before weigh in. They are taught to dehydrate... They pile on layers and layers of clothing and go workout for hours (with NO water).
    #5 they are creating 4000+ calorie deficits to lose that much weight which is way beyond unhealthy.
  • jimbo2180
    jimbo2180 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    No not really. I just count myself lucky i dont have to go on to a Tv show to lose weight.
  • ChristiMightGetFit
    ChristiMightGetFit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    One of the past contestants has spoken out to some people about how filming a "week" on the show was sometimes more than a week so it would look like they lost more. She also talked about how they would not drink any water or anything at least 24 hours before weigh in, and they would try to dehydrate to be able to stay on the show. They actually weigh in off-camera on a cattle scale somewhere on the ranch prior to what we see on the show. There were many other interesting tidbits she talked about l So I think there are some unhealthy things going on behind the scenes . But all that being said, I do love the show. I find it inspiring, because If they can live through all that and push themselves that hard and far, I should be able to at least push myself to work a fraction as hard. It's taught me how I had been limiting myself in the past, and had to step out of my comfort zone. :-) Plus seeing their transformations is just really inspiring as well!
  • mightyafrodyte
    mightyafrodyte Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    No, because I don't watch it. There used to be a good show on A&E called "Heavy" that showed people really working at making a change because they wanted to be healthy and live a better life - not because they would win a prize.

I loved Heavy... I'm sad that they didn't bring that back. That was a good, REAL show.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Because they lose SO much weight, SO quickly? I feel like it sets a bad example for people trying to lose weight the healthy way, 1-2 lbs a week. I'm happy for them when they do lose the weight because it is so life changing, but I often wonder for them how sustainable it can be when they get home. Just wanted to start a bit of conversation.

I don't really think there is anything for you to be frustrated about. If you had the time and money (not to mention mental capacity!) to work out 12 hours a day EVERY DAY with world famous trainers and also be monitored 100% of the time by doctors and nutritionists, you would probably lose weight that fast too! lol I don't think I'd make it AN HOUR on the BL Ranch, let alone a whole season. Maybe if you dangle that much money in front of me I could push through!

So unless you're working out as much and as hard as they are, as well as eating as strictly as they are, and STILL not receiving their same results, then yes, you have every reason to be frustrated. If not, keep doing what you're doing. This is your life, not a TV show. Its about getting yourself healthy not about how fast you can do it. Just keep focusing on your goals. :smile:
  • WinCherry
    WinCherry Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I don’t feel frustrated when I watch the show. Just remember they take these people out of their homes away from everyone. They are in the gym 2 to 3 hours a day. They have them on a diet of no more than 1200 calories per day. If I had nothing to do all day but exercise I’m sure I could definitely lose 10 to 20 pounds easy. But I have a life, and a kid, and a family, and a job, so I have to fit it in whenever I can. However I do let the show motivate me to get up and do something, anything even if it’s walking in place or lifting weights while the show is on.
  • angelams1019
    Options

I get frustrated by the people who whine and cry the entire time. Thousands of people would do ANYTHING to have that opportunity, yet some people on the show seem like they couldn't care less if they threw it away.
    omg yes My wife and I talk about that every show and almost stop watching cause of that

See how you feel after eating 1200 calories and exercising for 6-8 hours per day, while dehydrated/in pain/puking/passing out, all while getting screamed at, for weeks on end. I bet $10 you whine at least once or twice or maybe even cry at the end of the day.

They're human. Just because they're on a stupid reality show doesn't mean they aren't allowed to have emotions. What they're being put through is exhausting and a total mindf*ck. I don't blame them for crying.

hahahaha YES!! Out of ALL of the seasons of the biggest loser, there hasn't been ONE PERSON to go into that gym and NOT find it difficult and NOT complain. They're getting their *kitten* kicked! I'd love to see you try to do what they do for a 30 minutes without whining. I know for me- If I even THOUGHT I was going to throw up or pass out I'd be in a corner somewhere in the fetal position crying like a baby! :drinker:

Not to mention the fact that that process is FORCING them to battle their inner demons. A lot of times the crying and what not is more mental than physical. They're battling THEMSELVES non stop.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Not really, because I don't watch it... but when I do I also realize that A) They weigh way more than I do... thus, their weight will come off faster... and B) losing weight at the moment is their full time job.... when I had the time to spend 4+ hours at the gym (which I have done before when I was around 20 and didn't have a bajillion responsibilities) I lost weight quickly too...
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

It's on Monday nights haha. My Sunday is for Game of Thrones as well. Or Walking Dead. Or Hell on Wheels.

Is it really? I thought it was on Sundays.

Well in that case, Monday nights are reserved for How I Met Your Mother and 2 Broke Girls. The Biggest Loser can still suck my toe. :laugh:
  • rush0321
    rush0321 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Overrated and too many commercials!! it's inserational, but they try to make it like a Real world or Jersy shore with all the "Drama" in the house. No thank you, if your going to loose weight, do it on your own will power and join MFP!! :)
  • angelams1019
    Options
    And for all of the people talking about how it sets unrealistic expectations- The point of the show is to inspire you to PUSH yourself. To overcome the obstacles in your life that are keeping you stuck. Nobody on the show ever said "Hey, people at home, do everything we're doing without the supervision of a TEAM of professionals." Its not recommended for you to try and do what they do, and its not even realistic. What is realistic is for you to get off your *kitten* and push yourself to do things you never thought you could before. I think THAT is where the inspirations should be coming from....Not to go lose 20 pounds in a week's time.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

Mine too, remove Bad Girls Club and replace with American Horror and you're on a winner!

I can't watch that show, it scares me too much. Haha. I'd rather watch crazy girls ripping each others weaves out.
  • Ender126
    Options
    Frustrated, no, but I do wonder about their techniques. Specifically Jillian, who, when people are passing out and puking all over the place, is still yelling at them to keep going. Sorry, but there is only so much the body can handle when it is not conditioned for exercise. Push yourself, yes, but not to the point where you lose consciousness.

I think they overdo everything, and don't consider the health of the contestants enough. Apparently they have doctors standing by if something happens, but that doesn't mean you should keep pushing until something does happen.

Yes, it will be harder for them once they go home, but I think that would be true anyway. Without someone telling you to do this every single day, and having to stay motivated yourself... it's always going to be a challenge. I think that having been there at all would be incredibly motivating, though.

I think Jillian's technique is pretty spot on. One of the points all the trainers are trying to make is the difficulty of losing the weight so they don't ever put it back on. If you had to work that hard for something you'd change your life pretty quickly. Some of the same principles are used in Military bootcamp. You'd be amazed what the human body can handle... I mean look at any documentary on the Navy SEALs or any other SPEC OPS in the Military and you'll be dumbfounded. It's all about the person's willingness and determination.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

I get frustrated by the people who whine and cry the entire time. Thousands of people would do ANYTHING to have that opportunity, yet some people on the show seem like they couldn't care less if they threw it away.
    omg yes My wife and I talk about that every show and almost stop watching cause of that

See how you feel after eating 1200 calories and exercising for 6-8 hours per day, while dehydrated/in pain/puking/passing out, all while getting screamed at, for weeks on end. I bet $10 you whine at least once or twice or maybe even cry at the end of the day.

They're human. Just because they're on a stupid reality show doesn't mean they aren't allowed to have emotions. What they're being put through is exhausting and a total mindf*ck. I don't blame them for crying.

hahahaha YES!! Out of ALL of the seasons of the biggest loser, there hasn't been ONE PERSON to go into that gym and NOT find it difficult and NOT complain. They're getting their *kitten* kicked! I'd love to see you try to do what they do for a 30 minutes without whining. I know for me- If I even THOUGHT I was going to throw up or pass out I'd be in a corner somewhere in the fetal position crying like a baby! :drinker:

Not to mention the fact that that process is FORCING them to battle their inner demons. A lot of times the crying and what not is more mental than physical. They're battling THEMSELVES non stop.

Bingo, and a lot of the people who get upset that these people are complaining have never weighed 300+ pounds. They have absolutely NO idea how painful it is to go from zero to running while your feet, knees, and back adjust. When I weighed 357 pounds, I couldn't walk for more than five minutes without severe pain in my arches. I had to sit as often as possible. If someone had put me on a treadmill and made me run, I would have cried/shrieked from the pain. I could hardly get out of my recliner because of the pain in my knees, so squats and getting up/down from the floor were completely out of the question. I STILL can't do squats or lunges because of my knees. It's like cutting with a hot knife. It hurts so much.

There's pushing past the hurt, and then there's just being stupid. Nobody should force a workout when they're injured.
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Been watching Biggest Loser for years now and I always find it very funny at the start of the season as the really obese contestants try and do challenges that require balancing themselves on something most normal size people find easy.

Then I watch the girls get to my weight and then my goal weight and by Finale time half of these funny fat people are fitter than me and I feel quite sad.

This year I've promised myself that I'll get to my goal weight by Finale time so yes I find it frustrating that I've lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks and the women on the show have drooped 15 + . But then I remind myself:
    1) That I only have 30 lbs to loose while they have 3 to 6 times that.
    2) I have a very demanding full time job which means I wake up at 5 am to get my burn in, am sleep deprived and retaining water.
    3) I can still go out and socialize with my friends (and do) at the expense of my diet, while they can't.

I'm buying a new dress for the Biggest Loser (US) finale and I live in the UK. Why not I'll be at my goal weight I'm just going to keep at it!!

It's also important to know that a "week" on that show is generally much more than 7 days. Trying to keep up with the contestants' losses along with the show as it airs would be madness.

Well my current goal is to lose 30 lbs in 6 months so about a 1lb per week which is realistic. Coincidentally, the BL finale is going to be around the same time so something to remind me to keep on. I'm not trying to achieve BL results on my own!!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about the healthy weight loss amount per week too but you have to remember, there are trainers and doctors there watching their moves and bodies to ensure it's safe. If it wasn't safe, they wouldn't do it.

I don't think it's valid to assume that the producers care more about the subjects' health than their ratings.
  • LuvingMumof2
    LuvingMumof2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We have to remember when watching the biggest loser that these people are on a contest show. They are also supervised by medical professionals and they are on a very STRICT diet. Not to mention they work out for like 6 hours per day! I believe this show is a great motivator for someone who is trying to lose weight, however it can be frustrating when they step on the scale and pull like a 15 out and then we step on the scale and only pull a 2.... But lets keep in mind 2 lbs per week is a healthy weight loss goal to have! :happy: