Anxiety at the gym...

Options
124»

Replies

• busywifehealthylife
    Options
    The thing I always try to remind myself is that in most situations, gym or otherwise, people are almost always thinking about themselves 90 percent of the time. They might glance at you for a split second, but they are probably only thinking of their next set, or what they are going to do next. Another thing you might try is recruiting a friend or someone to go with you. I found it helped when I first started going to a gym to lift to have a partner, even if you aren't both experts. It's just nice to have someone there as a security blanket of sorts and to distract you from those anxious thoughts that people are looking at you or judging you. I promise, if the people at your gym are serious about their own health and fitness, they are definitely focused on their own goals and workout. And if not, then they are idiots who are wasting their time and who cares what someone like that thinks anyway? :)
  • busywifehealthylife
    Options
    Oops! Just saw you already recruited a friend to go with you. Good! And I am glad you went back!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: for what's it worth, I was in the gym Sunday with a gf that joined. She's not into the free weights(yet), but I got the moxy to walk to that side of the room (with her in tow) and asked an older guy to show me how the squat rack worked. I know how to do squats but was unsure how to adjust the rack height.

He was kind enough to do so, and even gave me pointers on form. I did two sets with the barbell. Now I'm one step closer to being comfortable on that side of the room. Oh yea, and my @ss is sore this morning, LOL

Next goal is to figure out dead lifts. I want a trainer but can't afford it right now.

Baby steps....

tumblr_inline_mhatrkmvz81qz4rgp.gif
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: for what's it worth, I was in the gym Sunday with a gf that joined. She's not into the free weights(yet), but I got the moxy to walk to that side of the room (with her in tow) and asked an older guy to show me how the squat rack worked. I know how to do squats but was unsure how to adjust the rack height.

He was kind enough to do so, and even gave me pointers on form. I did two sets with the barbell. Now I'm one step closer to being comfortable on that side of the room. Oh yea, and my @ss is sore this morning, LOL

Next goal is to figure out dead lifts. I want a trainer but can't afford it right now.

Baby steps....

tumblr_inline_mhatrkmvz81qz4rgp.gif

+1
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Is it "gymtimidating"? Abso-freaking-lutely. Will it be worth it to "get over yourself"? One million percent yes. I conqured mine this morning, that d@mn ab pull up bar thingy you hang and pull your knees up. It worked for me in the past and I loved the end result, but I have been in my head that I will not be able to do more than 1 pull up. Good news is I was wrong, and I was able to do 15 no prob (admittedly 5 at a time, but...). Needless to say I will be doing 20 tomorrow and plan to not look back. I am sure six months from now I will be VERY glad I did.

Listen to your mom, she sounds like a smarty :drinker:

And PS listen to yoovie too, she is a smarty also.

ETA: Besides, if someone's going to judge you for trying to be healthier, sounds like more their problem than yours.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I get the most inspiration not from the people that are already fit. I am inspired by those who are dragging themselves to the Y against every personal habit that got them to their plus size condition. Whether they are working alone, with a friend or a trainer, they are doing more than so many others that never even take the first step.
    I watched one woman keep coming and work her butt off. I finally had to tell her that I found her inspiring and noted how much she lost.
    One guy tells me he brags about my progress.
    Look to those who inspire you. The rest don't deserve your attention.
    When I started in the gym I could do RDL's with 30# dumbbells. I'm up to 55# now.
    Just keep going. Progress will come.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I agree with things lots of other posters have said: music, a friend, most others there admire that you are starting something hard.

I'll add something I learned when I turned 40 (I'm now 45):

Screw'em. Ima do what I want. You should, too. You paid to go to the gym. Get every dime out of it. You deserve it. Don't know how a machine works? Make the attendant show you. That's his/her job. They work for you; you pay their bills. (Be nice, not demanding, but still, you are paying for the service.)

I used to feel intimidated in many physical situations like gyms. I just tell myself that this is my life, and I'm going to do it. You joined the gym; it is YOUR gym.

I know that doesn't completely solve the problem, but if you keep telling it to yourself, it does get better!

Good luck!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I can empathize. Let me copy and paste something I shared with someone else:

"I just have some social anxiety issues, on top of the expected body discomfort issues. And a year and a half ago, when I was still going to the gym, I had a bit of an incident involving a slightly too baggy shirt getting caught up in a machine, and some other ladies personal trainer who saw me and rather than helping me out or even ignoring me, about busted a gut laughing at me. Total panic attack, lol. Couldn't get out, people looking at me, etc. The client actually untangled me, fired her trainer, and got me out and calmed down. But I haven't gone back in there since, didn't even clear out my locker, not even when they called three months later to say my locker rental was up. Just couldn't do it. But that is a neurosis I'm working on. Some of which I'm doing by starting with body weight exercises and what dumbbells I have access to, so I'll feel safe and comfortable enough in the movements to go straight to free weights rather than the traumatizing machines ;) (and yep, I can laugh about it now, I mean I wasn't THAT stuck, not in any real danger of being injured or harmed,mostly just embarrassed and neurotic)"

So, I hope this helps you see we have all had embarrassment at the gym, that free weights can actually be WAY LESS SCARY than the machines. And that you are totally so far ahead of me, because you walked in the doors. And I think I will be using you as one of my inspirations for getting MYSELF back in through the doors.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i really feel for a lot of people in this thread. I must say i've never really understood why people would be so self conscious at the gym, but after reading a lot of these comments, it seems to make more sense... seems especailly true for woman... but maybe thats just because i never assume women are looking at me lol.

I was also thinking how tragic it would be if someones only experience with the gym was around new years.

All this being said, i get a much better workout at home then at the gym. but i go to planet fitness lol.
  • mauswood
    mauswood Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm still a little intimidated by gyms - but that comes from not really knowing how all the new-fangled machines work :) It's just important to remember that everyone there is focused on themselves and what they're doing. The only thing I think when I see someone new come in is "good for them" - Just keep doing what you're doing, the stronger you get the more impressive you'll be! You can take on ANYTHING!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Screw'em. Ima do what I want. You should, too. You paid to go to the gym. Get every dime out of it. You deserve it. Don't know how a machine works? Make the attendant show you. That's his/her job. They work for you; you pay their bills. (Be nice, not demanding, but still, you are paying for the service.)

I used to feel intimidated in many physical situations like gyms. I just tell myself that this is my life, and I'm going to do it. You joined the gym; it is YOUR gym.

^^ This