Eating Chik-fil-A for lunch

Options
123457»

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    My goodness, [Dan Cathy] believes in the Biblical definition of marriage.

Nonsense. Biblical marriage includes such things as one man, seven hundred wives, and three hundred concubines. (1 Kings 11:3.) Dan Cathy believes in the very modern notion of one man, one woman.
  • treetop57
    Options
    - I don't deny anyone anything. If I recall there is domestic partnership too....

There are many states with no domestic partnerships. And in any case, domestic partnerships don't give all the rights and responsibilities of marriage, especially since the federal government doesn't recognize same-sex marriage, let alone domestic partnerships.

Like it or not, your insistance that your religious view of marriage be enshrined in law does deny real people real benefits.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    5. Insurance - I can tack on my husband (but not a domestic partner) onto my insurance policy for peanuts! If I were a lesbian, my partner would have to buy her own insurance.

Take that up with your insurance company because that is not a legal issue. My insurance policy would cover a domestic partner.

Depends on your employer, actually. But it comes down to what is legally protected. If my employer said said, we won't pay for coverage for your black spouse because he's black - that's illegal. But nothing stops them from saying "we won't cover your female spouse because she's female."
  • treetop57
    Options
    And even if an employer provides health insurance for an employee's same-sex spouse or domestic partner, federal law says that is a taxable benefit. In 2012, my company added over 7 thousand dollars "imputed income" to my W-2, their cost of my partner's medical insurance. So I get to pay a couple thousand dollars extra taxes that a straight couple does not. I could buy a heck of a lot of chicken sandwiches with that money Cathy is fighting to make sure I keep paying.

Like it or not, insisting that religious views of marriage be enshrined in secular law denies real people real benefits.
  • grantsmommy
    grantsmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My fav bad food is Chick fil a! I haven't had it in over two years though!!! I'm counting down until I can have it again! Mmm..it is totally worth the extra calories!
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

16. No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.