It is NOT that simple.

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Yes, because it is so impossible for me to have only consumed 1100 cals and be nearly 100lb oveweight.

I dunno. This could be just one extreme case. If your base metabolic rate is INCREDIBLY low, and you do no exercise or daily activity, I suppose it could be possible. Though that would be extreme. And then losing weight when increasing calories would also be suspect.

For most, weight lose IS simply numbers. Even if the *OP* had some phennomenally odd situation as described.
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It's been said, but for anyone that hasn't read all the other pages:

OP has "PCOS (including the accompanying hypoglycemia) and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is a form of hypothyroidism." Revealed on page 8.

Comments were made stating CI/CO works, with the exception of certain medical issues (pages 2, 3 and 5).

OP felt it "wasn't necessary" to reveal said medical issues (and also claimed no one "asked" about them, even though people referenced the "with the exception of medical issues" clause).

OP is losing weight by consuming less calories than she burns, along with medication for said medical issues.

OP has left thread a loooooong time ago.

Now will someone PLEASE find me a good headdesk gif??

* Did not feel like using many articles or pronouns today.

IF ANYONE HASN'T SEEN THIS, READ THIS BEFORE POSTING. I KNOW YOU WON'T BUT I'M SAYING IT ANYWAY.

And since you wrapped that up so nicely, here ya go:

HeadDesk.gif

For the love of all things holy, THANK YOU for that gif! I really needed it :flowerforyou: I feel so much better now....*ahhhh*

P.S.--" ...I KNOW YOU WON'T BUT I'M SAYING IT ANYWAY" <---That's exactly how I felt when I first posted lol
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as a "skinny fat" person--who may not be "obese" but is still extremely unhealthy.

I really hate this term and think it needs to stop. It's used way too much to shame otherwise healthy women who just happen to not be muscular. I don't believe you have to be muscular in order to be healthy.

this++++++

^^^ This. I'm sorry, but I"m wearing a size 6 now instead of a 12. People want to tell me I'm doing it wrong and say I'm skinny fat? Whatever. I'll take my skinny fat @$$ and put into my size 6 pants rather than have my fat, fat @$$ squeezing into a 12.

Hee. Amen.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It's been said, but for anyone that hasn't read all the other pages:

OP has "PCOS (including the accompanying hypoglycemia) and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is a form of hypothyroidism." Revealed on page 8.

Comments were made stating CI/CO works, with the exception of certain medical issues (pages 2, 3 and 5).

OP felt it "wasn't necessary" to reveal said medical issues (and also claimed no one "asked" about them, even though people referenced the "with the exception of medical issues" clause).

OP is losing weight by consuming less calories than she burns, along with medication for said medical issues.

OP has left thread a loooooong time ago.

Now will someone PLEASE find me a good headdesk gif??

* Did not feel like using many articles or pronouns today.

IF ANYONE HASN'T SEEN THIS, READ THIS BEFORE POSTING. I KNOW YOU WON'T BUT I'M SAYING IT ANYWAY.

And since you wrapped that up so nicely, here ya go:

HeadDesk.gif

You come up with the best gifs :love:
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I really hate this term and think it needs to stop. It's used way too much to shame otherwise healthy women who just happen to not be muscular. I don't believe you have to be muscular in order to be healthy.

I didn't intend it that way. If you look at the context, I was referring to people who were unhealthy but were not obese. That's all I meant by that.

glad you lost weight but you seem very angry..at least thats what I got....

I am angry because there is an awful lot of shaming and pretentiousness coming from the cals-in/cals-out crowd who look down their noses at anyone who doesn't agree with their oversimplification of how weight loss works.

Find me one shred of evidence to back up your claim. Every relevant scientific study ever done proves it right, and you think you are the special snowflake that defies the laws of the universe???

Should read this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say I sympathize with the OP. I was logging (I used LoseIt! for a couple years) & eating 1,000-1,200 cals/ day & was 40+lbs over my norm. Doctors told me to eat less, I would eat <1,000, then they told me to eat less, like 800. I can't starve myself or be anorexic if I wanted to, but I also don't eat crap either. I started getting tested for things like thyroid but everything came back a dead end, & my BP was rising (100/150 avg.) Now, I'm logging again (MFP for 2 weeks) & started exercising again. My HR is down to 79. I'm hoping taking things back into my hands & out of bad Dr hands will work.

Please don't automatically assume that because someone is saying their overweight & consuming few calories that we either must not be overweight or not eating/ logging food correctly. We do exist & don't have the magical formula that seems to work for so many people.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say I sympathize with the OP. I was logging (I used LoseIt! for a couple years) & eating 1,000-1,200 cals/ day & was 40+lbs over my norm. Doctors told me to eat less, I would eat <1,000, then they told me to eat less, like 800. I can't starve myself or be anorexic if I wanted to, but I also don't eat crap either. I started getting tested for things like thyroid but everything came back a dead end, & my BP was rising (100/150 avg.) Now, I'm logging again (MFP for 2 weeks) & started exercising again. My HR is down to 79. I'm hoping taking things back into my hands & out of bad Dr hands will work.

Please don't automatically assume that because someone is saying their overweight & consuming few calories that we either must not be overweight or not eating/ logging food correctly. We do exist & don't have the magical formula that seems to work for so many people.

OP has PCOS and thyroid disease. She neglected to mention that crucial information for 8 pages.

By chronically undereating you were artificially suppressing your BMR. Meaning, you changed the OUT side of the CI/CO equation, not that the equation itself is invalid.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I was tested for thyroid & it came out negative, as I mentioned. It also didn't matter if I ate 1,000 calories or 2,000 calories - I wasn't losing any weight. Maybe there is something wrong with me but county healthcare medical doctors couldn't help. I'm just saying that it's not all black & white with every single person out there.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I was tested for thyroid & it came out negative, as I mentioned. It also didn't matter if I ate 1,000 calories or 2,000 calories - I wasn't losing any weight. Maybe there is something wrong with me but county healthcare medical doctors couldn't help. I'm just saying that it's not all black & white with every single person out there.

Dr's are awful. My Dr admits I know more than him.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    After nearly 20 years of various symptoms, half a dozen doctors, and nothing more than "Eat less to lose the weight", I did finally receive a diagnosis of PCOS (including the accompanying hypoglycemia), and later, of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is a form of hypothyroidism that is primarily triggered by gluten.

As an aside, the autoimmune response in Hashimoto's is not always triggered by gluten. What the truth is, is that autoimmune diseases often run together, and Hashimoto's often runs alongside celiac disease, and in cases where the patient is also a celiac, there may be a link with gluten. If you have Hashimoto's, you should get tested correctly for celiac disease so it can be ruled out as a complication.

Hashimoto's can also exist on its own, too. Friend of mine has it and is not a celiac.

I have celiac disease, diagnosed in 2002 by duodenal biopsy and antibody tests.

Yep. This.

I have Hashimoto's. I am not gluten intolerant.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

It doesn't mean that you don't have a thyroid problem. Most docs are unaware that the norms have changed---there's a lot of information about this in the threads of the hypothyroid group here. Getting to an expert endocrinologist (preferably one associated with a large teaching hospital and university) will likely uncover the cause of your problem.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    hmm...
    well apparently every BODY works differently then because I lose mad weight when i consume 1100-1200 cal per day and exercise about 4 times a week. Of course i am also burning off a lot of calories most of the time but still.....

Just saying...
    i think you are only speaking for yourself.

1100-1200 works great for me.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Well, ironically I had this happen to me this past two weeks. Last week I worked out 6 out of 7 days, 15 minutes cardio each day and weight training on one body part per day. I ate 1400 calories a day. The end of the week weigh in showed I gained a little over 2 lbs. This week I ate around 1400-1500 daily (and higher carbs - pasta and such). I only worked out two days and this weeks weigh in shows Iost a 1/2 lb. Now i'm just shaking my head in confusion. Apparently it's not as easy as calories in and calories out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    wGGL8Zs.gif

Awesome....

hey OP, how about you were starving yourself at 1100 calories and you metabolism stalled...when you bumped up yhe calories you started to eat between your BMR and TDEE (like you're supposed to for healthy weight loss) and your metabolism reset. That would be the scientific reality of what is probably going on. Not that I have anything against making better nutritional decisions...I do so myself...but scientifically, a calorie is in deed a calorie.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've been experimenting for over a year in calories. At 1200 for a few months, at 1400 for a few months (had a loss), bumped to 1700 for a few months (had a slow gain), back to 1400 for a month (yoyo up and down weight). I have no idea how much to eat anymore.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    wGGL8Zs.gif

Awesome....

hey OP, how about you were starving yourself at 1100 calories and you metabolism stalled...when you bumped up yhe calories you started to eat between your BMR and TDEE (like you're supposed to for healthy weight loss) and your metabolism reset. That would be the scientific reality of what is probably going on. Not that I have anything against making better nutritional decisions...I do so myself...but scientifically, a calorie is in deed a calorie.

Indeed, a calorie is a calorie but how each individual USES those calories is particular to that person. Whether it is used to produce muscular energy or plump up fat cells further, is based on that individual's bio-chemistry. In general, if you are gaining weight, you are eating too many calories FOR YOU (and also perhaps the WRONG KIND of calories for you). What I have found, is that the more nutrient dense the food I eat, the fewer calories I want to eat. (I don't eat the empty calories of most sugary foods and I don't eat wheat because I found it addictive--especially things made of white flour). Fifty pounds ago, I had blood sugar issues and I expect that was why, when I cut out sugar and wheat, I no longer had trouble controlling my appetite. I have found that it is impossible to overeat when one restricts oneself to nutrient dense food.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    No, you simply stopped eating food that effected your blood glucose levels and insulin. Not nutrient dense food.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    No, you simply stopped eating food that affected your blood glucose levels and insulin. Not nutrient dense food.

Well, I won't quibble, but I will say that I used to be able to sit and eat half a loaf of freshly baked white bread and now, I would struggle to eat more than one piece of the very dense, sunflower-seed-sprinkled, 100% rye bread that I eat instead. :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well, ironically I had this happen to me this past two weeks. Last week I worked out 6 out of 7 days, 15 minutes cardio each day and weight training on one body part per day. I ate 1400 calories a day. The end of the week weigh in showed I gained a little over 2 lbs. This week I ate around 1400-1500 daily (and higher carbs - pasta and such). I only worked out two days and this weeks weigh in shows Iost a 1/2 lb. Now i'm just shaking my head in confusion. Apparently it's not as easy as calories in and calories out.

Water weight fluctuations.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    How long did you consume 1100 cals per day for and do you still have those tracking records?

Roughly a year, possibly more. But it was mostly processed foods--just smaller quantities.

Weightloss is magic

what makes you think you were overweight at 1100 calories a day?

Ummm... Being 235 lb. Am I understanding this question correctly? I was clinically obese and was only consuming 1100 cals a day. I increased my intake, but changed the quality of food, and lost 60 lb.

You are CORRECT my darling!!! And you know what? You have the RESULTS to prove it!! People need to read "Why we get fat" and then they'll GET IT!! It is not calorie in/calorie out ... so much more than simply that! :)

Great job hun!