Options
    thanks for post :)
  • kanadian_bear
    Options
    <<< BUMP >>>
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    bumping because i want to read the comments later. Great post! Loved it all!
  • notsofit2
    Options
    female, 5'5"
  • stacifahlsing
    stacifahlsing Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I loved this post! I am sad though, that so many people feel they need to leave negative comments. If they don't like it, move on! On the other hand... not being a thin 18 year old (instead a 41 year old that is over 200 and only 5'4") 1200 is killer low! I could easily continue on eating 3500 calories of pizza and Outback Steakhouse and balloon some more, but instead I "suffer" on salad and lemon juice! I really appreciate the wake up call on progression! You are soooo right!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post...very interesting to read "Monica's" story. I calculated my TDEE and tried the eating that number for a few weeks. I'm maintaining. I've been maintaining for 9-10 months going from 1600 -2100 cals for a few weeks at a time (depending on what I read). I've cleaned up my diet significantly. I've always exercized. I'm a sugar-aholic and I've cut a lot of it out.
    I don't want to maintain, I want to lose. I feel like I am at the end of my rope. I won't give up, but its just hard to lose a little and then bounce right back up in a day or two. I'm not sure what to do. For me, it doesn't seem to be all about calories...
    Ugh.
  • willow_rb
    willow_rb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump-Save for later!
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've been a 1200 girl since October, and in two months, lost 27 pounds. I got sick around mid-December and while I kept eating only 1200 calories, on average, I had to stop working out due to viral illnesses that kept popping up. I attributed the illness to stress but now, after reading this and extensive other reading on nutrition, I attribute it more to my decreased calorie and nutrient intake. I also discovered I've been getting more and more tired as of late, and I'm now always hungry, even though my diet hasn't changed. I'm upping my calories per day to around 1500 to see how I do there with exercise (I'm finally getting healthy to the point that I can exercise again) - thanks for the great post OP.
    I done the same and got sick. I have to agree with you, I upped my intake too.
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed the progression part and see how this would work for moderately to severe obese. I hope this helps a lot of people. I know just reading the success stories and the falling and getting back up stories has helped me stay with my plan of action. I am succeeding slowly. I do find the best results when I stick to 1200 but that is my individual case. I am now officially overweight instead of obese..Horay!!!!
  • mommamellymac
    mommamellymac Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump for later! very interesting though, thank you for taking the time to write this!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I sure needed to read that! I began only last week at 200 pounds. Yes, I put my limit of calories at 1200. which is HARD. When I have wine, i always go over. What should be my max intake of calories a day? I'm not very active, i'm 49 and would like to be in 'decent shape by April. Suggestions?

Honestly, my suggestion would be to be more realistic in your goals. That said, it also depends on what you mean by "decent" shape.

Three months is a negligible time frame in the grand scheme of things. You didn't get to 200 Lbs in 3 months...why would you expect to lose that weight in 3 months. I'm a big proponent of 1 Lb per week loss goals, sometimes I'm a little more, sometimes I'm a little less. I have dropped 16 Lbs in 3 months following this goal, but I wouldn't say I'm in decent shape yet...much better than I was, but nowhere near what I want to be.

Here's the calculator I use as I follow the TDEE method @ 20% less my TDEE; I've found it to be quite good:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Make your goal 20% for safe and healthy weight loss. You will not that if you enter anything more than 20%, scooby will give you a warning.

Conversely, you could just use MFP and set your goal to 1 Lb...maybe do a comparison of the two. I found them to be very close for me...within about 20 calories.
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    well the thing is, you're not me.
    You look like a rather muscular man, where as I am neither. When you turn into a 45 year old woman, then you'll be one of "me".
    1200 calories a day probably is NOT enough for you, but its fine for me. I'm not starving. most days i'm not even hungry.
    I woh't have to stay at 1200 calories for years, because I will get to my goal weight and eat more to maintain.

I'm not mocked, and I don't feel inadequate, and i'm not miserable.

perhaps you should change the thread title to end with "for me", since you can't stand there and tell me what's going to work for me.
    [/quote]

Here, here. It's working for me (51 yo and 5'6" female) - - it's been 23 days and I've lost 6 pounds. I don't think this can be generalized in that way.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Samanthahahaha
    Options
    bump to read later, i don't eat that little but i think this could be an interesting read, thanks! :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Thank you for the post...very interesting to read "Monica's" story. I calculated my TDEE and tried the eating that number for a few weeks. I'm maintaining. I've been maintaining for 9-10 months going from 1600 -2100 cals for a few weeks at a time (depending on what I read). I've cleaned up my diet significantly. I've always exercized. I'm a sugar-aholic and I've cut a lot of it out.
    I don't want to maintain, I want to lose. I feel like I am at the end of my rope. I won't give up, but its just hard to lose a little and then bounce right back up in a day or two. I'm not sure what to do. For me, it doesn't seem to be all about calories...
    Ugh.

Find a method and stick to it. I would think 2100 calories would be very close to your maintenance level TDEE. Barring medical conditions, it is calories in and calories out for everyone. Also, remember that these calculators are estimates based on avg populace, and estimates based on your inputs.

Don't bounce around week to week with different goals...set one using one method and stick to it for at least a month. This is the calculator I use for the TDEE method less 20% (~ 1 Lb per week) and I've found it to be very accurate. If you stick to it for a month and you're honestly measuring/weighing, logging, and otherwise not cheating yourself, you may want to see a doctor about possible medical conditions which could be preventing you from burning at a reasonable deficit from TDEE.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Your post should be manditory reading.

Very well put!!!
  • TrishyWest
    TrishyWest Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    well the thing is, you're not me.
    You look like a rather muscular man, where as I am neither. When you turn into a 45 year old woman, then you'll be one of "me".
    1200 calories a day probably is NOT enough for you, but its fine for me. I'm not starving. most days i'm not even hungry.
    I woh't have to stay at 1200 calories for years, because I will get to my goal weight and eat more to maintain.

I'm not mocked, and I don't feel inadequate, and i'm not miserable.

perhaps you should change the thread title to end with "for me", since you can't stand there and tell me what's going to work for me.

Here, here. It's working for me (51 yo and 5'6" female) - - it's been 23 days and I've lost 6 pounds. I don't think this can be generalized in that way.
    [/quote]

It usually does work for everyone in the short run...and 23 days is a short run...it's the plateaus down the road and other negative side effects of eating below your BMR for extended periods of time that generally become the issue. I have no idea what your weight is, but if you are very overweight to obese, this is sustainable for longer because you have more fat stored to use as fuel...as that fuel gets burned, your body adjusts and wants to start retaining...enjoy
  • JHoelck0928
    JHoelck0928 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! :)