1200, and why it won't work

Options

Replies

• 4summer38
    Options
    Hey guys...to be honest I've been crushed at work, I did manage to get some PM responses out, but sadly I only check this thread 3 or 4 times a day. The response has been overwhelmingly positive, and I cannot express how thankful of that I am. There is also no real way I can read every single forum post here, so if you have any thing you need to say to me directly, please PM.

I have vowed to answer all of them!

You better! :wink:

I want to eat you know.
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am one of you...
    ...1200 calories a day is a paltry sniff of food. It's a dab of nutrients, and it's almost impossible to follow on a consistent (years) basis....

The number itself mocks you and makes you feel inadequate....You will live on...yes..but in misery.

well the thing is, you're not me.
    You look like a rather muscular man, where as I am neither. When you turn into a 45 year old woman, then you'll be one of "me".
    1200 calories a day probably is NOT enough for you, but its fine for me. I'm not starving. most days i'm not even hungry.
    I woh't have to stay at 1200 calories for years, because I will get to my goal weight and eat more to maintain.

I'm not mocked, and I don't feel inadequate, and i'm not miserable.

perhaps you should change the thread title to end with "for me", since you can't stand there and tell me what's going to work for me.

THIS. I've lost 75 lbs at 1200 calories. EASY (for me) :smile: No one way fits all... (FYI, I eat 1200 with, minimum of 20g of fat, 100 g of protein, 35 g of fiber, at least 3-5 veggies and 2 fruits and I let the carbs count themselves) I also watch to make sure I get enough calcium in, in addition to my vitamins.)
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I am one of you...
    ...1200 calories a day is a paltry sniff of food. It's a dab of nutrients, and it's almost impossible to follow on a consistent (years) basis....

The number itself mocks you and makes you feel inadequate....You will live on...yes..but in misery.

well the thing is, you're not me.
    You look like a rather muscular man, where as I am neither. When you turn into a 45 year old woman, then you'll be one of "me".
    1200 calories a day probably is NOT enough for you, but its fine for me. I'm not starving. most days i'm not even hungry.
    I woh't have to stay at 1200 calories for years, because I will get to my goal weight and eat more to maintain.

I'm not mocked, and I don't feel inadequate, and i'm not miserable.

perhaps you should change the thread title to end with "for me", since you can't stand there and tell me what's going to work for me.

THIS. I've lost 75 lbs at 1200 calories. EASY (for me) :smile:

As some of you may have seen through my responses, I am most thrilled when someone can lose weight and maintain the loss on 1200 a day. That is a testament to your ability to stay focused, and be unhindered in your task, and it's great. But the majority of people (myself included) cannot do this. We either were not built to be that diligent, or our bodies fought us every step of the way. In either case..75 pounds is no laughing matter...and I say, congrats!
  • Tootce01
    Tootce01 Posts: 184
    Options
    great post!

I can't seem to hit 1200 calories but I do try! I make a Nutri-blast every day, I drink it in the morning, afternoon and late afternoon (I make enough for 3 cups) and feel I am getting plenty of fruits, veggies and protein. I am not starving and the weight is coming off! I have a salad at lunch and eat protein and vegetables for dinner. I have always been a very simple eater!
  • angeldn52
    Options
    Bookmark
  • xmradio123
    Options
    Is it okay for some who weights 250ish to do the 1200 diet with no excercise? I eat a lot of vegetables and make sure I get my nutrition. I feel great!
  • CricketsGirl
    CricketsGirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Awesome info! Thanks for taking the time to post it. My goal is set at 1200 but I use my exercise to buy more food cause I'm hungry at only 1200. I've only been here for 2 1/2 weeks so I still have lots to figure out, one step at a time.
  • aelunyu
    Options
    Is it okay for some who weights 250ish to do the 1200 diet with no excercise? I eat a lot of vegetables and make sure I get my nutrition. I feel great!

I see these types of responses alot. the reason we get to 200 or 250 in weight is originally more because we don't exercise, not always because we don't eat right. If you were to look at my diary..i'm sure you would not say that i "eat right". but..i do exercise. alot. a whole lot.

So in the grand scheme of things, and to answer your question, yes you'd lose weight. assuming the worst, and you are 50% bodyfat, that means 125 pounds of you is fat, and 125 is lean. that puts your BMR at approximately 1250. All you have to do is get up and walk around and by all logic, you'd lose weight!
  • espi180
    espi180 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Amazing post. Very liberating!
  • xmradio123
    Options
    You're amazing. Maybe I can pay you so we can talk on the phone to learn more? One more thing. If I start walking should I stay at 1250 or so I eat my calories that I worked for?
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Very informative post.
  • UNCLRB15
    Options
    WTG....I enjoy read your story..
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I love this post. I have a personal trainer that is fabulous and who is teaching me a ton about weight lifting. This is helping me understand food a bit better, so thank you!!
  • ANPayne81
    ANPayne81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! Makes sense!
  • graced111
    graced111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow that made sense. Funny my doctor told me the same thing, as did some of my friends on this site. I am barely losing. Time to re-evaluate. Thanks
  • aelunyu
    Options
    You're amazing. Maybe I can pay you so we can talk on the phone to learn more? One more thing. If I start walking should I stay at 1250 or so I eat my calories that I worked for?

I will never accept payment or money from anyone earnestly trying to lose weight. A phone call is just a phone call...i view that as an exchange similar to a PM, and does not warrant payment! Although PMs are really piling up, so please be patient and I will get to you!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    YOU are so right :grumble: must be why I'm so very damn successful. I don't eat 1200 or close to it at all. Horray to the person with all the "right" answers. :huh:

Please feel free to look at sarcasm after every word here.
  • aelunyu
    Options
    YOU are so right :grumble: must be why I'm so very damn successful. I don't eat 1200 or close to it at all. Horray to the person with all the "right" answers. :huh:

Please feel free to look at sarcasm after every word here.

haha! humorous criticism is the best way to pose criticism. touchay, madam! and i commend you on your 167 pound weight loss. that is something that deserves respect. No sarcasm there!
  • jme6976
    jme6976 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes! You said exactly what I was thinking as I read this!
  • Careygirl1968
    Careygirl1968 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    One of the best posts I have read on MFP! Great info, and so very true