Options

Replies

• cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post this. :smile:
  • savbentley
    Options
    I agree and disagree. You have to do what works for you. I eat from 12-1600 a day. I'm not hungry at the end of the day. I don't feel like I'm not eating enough. I don't restrict myself. I eat a lot of vegetables and healthy food, half of my meals leave me stuffed. If I didn't track calories for a day and ate whatever I wanted I'd bet anything I'd still be right around that number. It's not a magic number for weight loss, no. Certainly not for everyone. But I'm perfectly okay with it (not that I don't eat more if I'm hungry).
  • Jackie80taylor
    Jackie80taylor Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    great post, read it all.. twice!

friend request sent and inboxed you a question :-)
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I liked your post. It was exactly what a lot of people on here need to read.
  • stephiegirl1215
    Options
    Very good advice that I think more people need to hear! I've tried 1200 myself twice in the past and for me it is just miserable. Nice anecdote too, I always love stories like that :)
  • junerbooner
    junerbooner Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    ``Interesting. Bump to read all this later```
  • fauxfoe
    fauxfoe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That was exactly what I needed to read. Thanks!
  • helenld1
    helenld1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I read every single word.

I'm guilty of being a 1200 goal person (who in reality used to aim way lower after exercise) and I suffer chronic binge eating which I attribute to years of eating at 1000/1200 cals a day.

I'm slowly slowly starting to realise what's going on and I thank people like you for taking the time to explain the why's and wherefore's of it all.
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I,m disagreeing at this purely because i spent months on 1200 calories. I never felt that i was starving myself I started to workout more so upped my calories to 1400 calories.I struggled to hit this but did most days and never ate into my exercise calories how come then I stopped losing weight and gained instead.
    I gave myself a whole month for my body to adapt and still i kept gaining.
    I think its an individual choice and what works for that individual.
    Also when i was gaining for that month and working out more my inches never changed either.
  • THOMAS8253
    THOMAS8253 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    great articile. it makes so much sense. im a first time dieter as of 1 month ago. i will follow your program idea for the near future. i was getting a little upset by not losing any weight the last 2 weeks. i will be patience and continue to work the program guidelines for the long term. thank you so very much. i learn a lot.
  • juliesmithdiet
    Options
    I,m disagreeing at this purely because i spent months on 1200 calories. I never felt that i was starving myself I started to workout more so upped my calories to 1400 calories.I struggled to hit this but did most days and never ate into my exercise calories how come then I stopped losing weight and gained instead.
    Also when i was gaining for that month and working out more my inches never changed either.

I agree with you, and also if 1200 is so bad why does MFP recommend that for some of us ? Also why does my nutritionist and Doctor also recommend it ? I know what's working for me and I am carrying on that way.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

I agree. I've been on 1200 calories a day now for 2 months and it isn't a problem for me. However, I exercise almost every day so I actually eat around 1500-1600 and burn off 400-500 with exercise. I adjust my calorie intake depending on how much exercise I do so some days I will only fit in 60 minutes of walking so I aim for 1300-1400. I don't see the problem with this and it doesn't make me miserable.
  • purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Milliemocha
    Milliemocha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great post. Really made sense to me. Thanks :-)
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm am so impressed. Your account of weight loss and relating it to behavior change is very sound! You account for current behavior, the conditions under which your client "slips up," you break a very large goal down into smaller increments of behavior change and then gradually fade yourself out as a prompt. Just fantastic. Do you have any background in applied behavior analysis?
  • kvltcat
    Options
    bump.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later - it's long but has a 'thumbs up' in this thread from some people I respect so it's worth reading.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I like your explanation
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I just had 3 cups of veggies stir fried in olive oil with some chicken, a chocolate bar, and a coke while reading this for lunch *burp*. And I'm not fat. woopie! If I was on 1200 cals that leaves me with um...pretty much nothing.

You don't want to see me if I'm not able to have my magnesium in the form of chocolate...
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a post. It is definitely another way of looking at weight loss and I can believe in it. It is funny how most (if not all) people that diet cut back considerably right at the beginning. When MFP set me at 1200 calories (which it seems to for every woman), I tried it for 2 weeks and went over constantly and felt like a failure. I bumped it up to 1500 and I also eat back all or part of my workout calories. It is working and I am losing weight at about 1 pound per week (40 pounds to lose in total). My BMR is around 1550 and my TDEE is around 1900 (sorry, can't remember the numbers off hand). I figure on the days I work out I can afford a little more than 1500 and the days I don't, I try to keep around 1500. This works for me and I try not to feel too guilty when I go over one day here and there because I am still so much better off than before I started this.
    Thanks for the post.