1200, and why it won't work

Options

Replies

• horrificat
    horrificat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes! You totally nailed it for me. I don't do a progression and so I yo yo up and down.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thanks!
  • conorpatmanCHANGED
    conorpatmanCHANGED Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am one of you...
    ...1200 calories a day is a paltry sniff of food. It's a dab of nutrients, and it's almost impossible to follow on a consistent (years) basis....

The number itself mocks you and makes you feel inadequate....You will live on...yes..but in misery.

well the thing is, you're not me.
    You look like a rather muscular man, where as I am neither. When you turn into a 45 year old woman, then you'll be one of "me".
    1200 calories a day probably is NOT enough for you, but its fine for me. I'm not starving. most days i'm not even hungry.
    I woh't have to stay at 1200 calories for years, because I will get to my goal weight and eat more to maintain.

I'm not mocked, and I don't feel inadequate, and i'm not miserable.

perhaps you should change the thread title to end with "for me", since you can't stand there and tell me what's going to work for me.

nice post, but this.
  • zumbachelle
    zumbachelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This sounds great to me...I have been losing weight since September 2011. I went great guns until about August last year and since then have almost stayed at exactly the same weight. I am going crazy.

I currently weigh 216lbs, have lost 86lbs, but as I said none of that since August 2012. I believe I have about another 60lbs I would like to lose.

I do zumba 2-3 times per week and bootcamp 1 day and usually go for a 7km walk which takes me about an hour once or twice a month.

I sit on my butt at work all day.

I have been having 12-1300 cals a day...and suggestions or ideas on what it should actually be? MFP tells me 1200 and I always feel SO guilty about going over.

Michelle.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support, guys. I will get to your questions one at a time. Stay strong, and be vigilant!
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    Amazing post... Thank you..
  • mistakenidentity
    mistakenidentity Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • nursekern
    nursekern Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Great explanation! Thanks so much!
  • jessielynn1083
    jessielynn1083 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read this and makes a lot of sense to me. My question is I have already been on the "1200 cal diet" for a couple of weeks and I struggle to get in the full 1200. Would you suggest I bump it back up? I have a total of 20-25 lbs to lose.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ok. So I'm curretly doing the 1200 calories and it is not working. I worked out for 4 months cycling 5-6 days a week burning 350-400 calories (per my heart rate monitor) and i only lost 5 lbs. My doctor put me at 1200, told me not to eat my exercise calories back and put me on a pill to help me stay at 1200. I'm currenlty trying to figure out what I should do. I'm 43 year old femail about 5'2" and currently at 210 lbs. Current goal is to loose 25 lbs. but ultimatly I want to loose 100 lbs.

I do not know your medical history or if you have any medical conditions, however, you may want to consult a dietitian and maybe find a new physician.

Secondly, knowing what your actual TDEE is of importance as this is where you can create your calorie deficit. Usually 15-20% below TDEE.

Take a look at this link. It offers great information and can offer some understanding. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?page=4
  • lisapittman53
    Options
    Wow, great post. The first one I've read on MFP. I'm so glad I did!
  • blg5
    blg5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Read it all and thanks for posting. It was very interesting and helpful.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    This post is phenomenal. Which model do you use for BMR and TDEE calculations? This is where my problem seems to lie. I get so many different answers that I'm just not sure how much to eat! :)
  • Angel0787
    Angel0787 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Great information....I've always heard the 1200 calorie intake stuff as well, and MFP set my calories at 1290 for 2lbs of loss a week, and I've lost a small amount, but with exercising 6 days a week, even if I eat back half my calories I feel like I am starving myself trying to stick to that. So a couple days ago I changed my goals to a 1 1/2 and it increased it to 1500. I am hoping it will help keep my metabolism going and kick this weight loss into gear.
  • Angel0787
    Angel0787 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This post is phenomenal. Which model do you use for BMR and TDEE calculations? This is where my problem seems to lie. I get so many different answers that I'm just not sure how much to eat! :)

^ Same issue!
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Ok. So I'm curretly doing the 1200 calories and it is not working. I worked out for 4 months cycling 5-6 days a week burning 350-400 calories (per my heart rate monitor) and i only lost 5 lbs. My doctor put me at 1200, told me not to eat my exercise calories back and put me on a pill to help me stay at 1200. I'm currenlty trying to figure out what I should do. I'm 43 year old femail about 5'2" and currently at 210 lbs. Current goal is to loose 25 lbs. but ultimatly I want to loose 100 lbs.

I do not know your medical history or if you have any medical conditions, however, you may want to consult a dietitian and maybe find a new physician.

Secondly, knowing what your actual TDEE is of importance as this is where you can create your calorie deficit. Usually 15-20% below TDEE.

Take a look at this link. It offers great information and can offer some understanding. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?page=4

Perhaps you should get tested for hormonal issues. Maybe the thyroid. But I must ask, when you are performing exercise, are you very worn out, tired, scarce, in terms of energy? At my lowest point, I was eating 1400 calories a day as a male. I found it extremely taxing to complete 10 minutes of jump rope or a 2 mile run.
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Having weighed over 325lbs I learned very very quickly that you must eat to loose and the more I lost the more I exercised, because nothing tastes as good as thin feels! Great story, thanks for sharing.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

^ Same issue!

Please review this to aid in your questions! It offers great information and advice! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?page=4
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Excellent information in this post, thank you!