1200, and why it won't work

Options

Replies

• Chikara312
    Chikara312 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    VERY inspirational post! I will hold this knowledge forever now!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Nice post. Your story was wonderfully explained and will hopefully provide a good perspective for those looking for help. For me, I've lost 80 lbs in a little over a year doing things my way (with my Dr.'s approval) so far. I do have to say that I eat well and eat quite a bit (quantity). I haven't experienced anything negative eating between 1200 to 1400 calories. But that's not to say I wouldn't change it up if I hit a plateau or just to have a change, which I occasionally do to shock the body. It's nice to know I can refer to posts like these should I ever need that change or to get additional information. Thanks for a good read and congrats to your client!
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    This post is phenomenal. Which model do you use for BMR and TDEE calculations? This is where my problem seems to lie. I get so many different answers that I'm just not sure how much to eat! :)

^ Same issue!

Well, the model I use is dynamic. In the case of Monica, she ate 3000-3300 calorie a day because her body was accustomed to that kind of intake. Usually, and even in overweight individuals, calorie intake stabilizes. That means you eat a certain amount, you stay at a certain weight, and you dont get bigger or smaller. Only in pretty rare cases do I see a linear upward progression in weight gain beyond that point. Some people do have an emotional fixation on food, and it will lead to weight gain that is newsworthy. most people tend to taper out at some point and stay there for years.

I would say the "model" you refer to is something that is personal. There is no standard model outside of the kind of trial and error Monica was so kind to subject herself to. It's up to yourself or the person overseeing the task to set the right startpoint.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    This post is phenomenal. Which model do you use for BMR and TDEE calculations? This is where my problem seems to lie. I get so many different answers that I'm just not sure how much to eat! :)

^ Same issue!

Please review this to aid in your questions! It offers great information and advice! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?page=4

Did that. They show the 2 different ones which are literally over 1000 cals/day different. Hence my confusion! :)
  • hollietkac
    hollietkac Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! very interesting
  • ventrone
    ventrone Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your time and energy you put into this post.

I also recently got a fitbit. The fitbit combined with a spreadsheet someone else posted (calories in/out) helped me come this realization myself. I am beginning to lose weight, gradually. It feels so much better that deprivation and I can begin to see what I "need" rather than using an arbitrary target.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

^ Same issue!

Well, the model I use is dynamic. In the case of Monica, she ate 3000-3300 calorie a day because her body was accustomed to that kind of intake. Usually, and even in overweight individuals, calorie intake stabilizes. That means you eat a certain amount, you stay at a certain weight, and you dont get bigger or smaller. Only in pretty rare cases do I see a linear upward progression in weight gain beyond that point. Some people do have an emotional fixation on food, and it will lead to weight gain that is newsworthy. most people tend to taper out at some point and stay there for years.

I would say the "model" you refer to is something that is personal. There is no standard model outside of the kind of trial and error Monica was so kind to subject herself to. It's up to yourself or the person overseeing the task to set the right startpoint.

Thank you for answering so quickly! I have used various methods of figuring out my BMR and TDEE (via all those online 'calculators') to no real avail. As of right now, I'm sitting my calorie goal at 1600/day and have been achieving a loss...and so far I haven't seemed to feel real problems with hunger. I'm exercising 3-4 days a week for 20-30 minutes (I used to not exercise at all), take the stairs at work (I'm on the 4th floor) and have a job where I'm at a desk but a lot of my duties require me to haul things from the basement so I'm back and forth with a dolly. I just don't want to set myself up for failure! :)
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

^ Same issue!

Please review this to aid in your questions! It offers great information and advice! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?page=4

Did that. They show the 2 different ones which are literally over 1000 cals/day different. Hence my confusion! :)

I personally think that the calorie deficit should come from your actual TDEE (usually taking 250-300 calories from your TDEE to create the deficit.)
  • tcompton70
    tcompton70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok. So I'm curretly doing the 1200 calories and it is not working. I worked out for 4 months cycling 5-6 days a week burning 350-400 calories (per my heart rate monitor) and i only lost 5 lbs. My doctor put me at 1200, told me not to eat my exercise calories back and put me on a pill to help me stay at 1200. I'm currenlty trying to figure out what I should do. I'm 43 year old femail about 5'2" and currently at 210 lbs. Current goal is to loose 25 lbs. but ultimatly I want to loose 100 lbs.

I do not know your medical history or if you have any medical conditions, however, you may want to consult a dietitian and maybe find a new physician.

Secondly, knowing what your actual TDEE is of importance as this is where you can create your calorie deficit. Usually 15-20% below TDEE.

Take a look at this link. It offers great information and can offer some understanding. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?page=4

Perhaps you should get tested for hormonal issues. Maybe the thyroid. But I must ask, when you are performing exercise, are you very worn out, tired, scarce, in terms of energy? At my lowest point, I was eating 1400 calories a day as a male. I found it extremely taxing to complete 10 minutes of jump rope or a 2 mile run.

I've have been thyroid tested and everything comes back normal. Only health issues is asthma, but I have it under control. As far as energy after exercising I was completely wiped out at the beginning, then towards the end only so so tired. I did loose a total of 24 lbs last year, but 19 was before I cycling like that. I know I need to exercise and enjoy cycling.
  • 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you on an excellent post. Should be required reading for everyone. Thank you for taking the time to write it! I lost from 208 to 130 on 1400 cals but never was satisfied with the way I looked. Then I discovered EM2WL which promotes this concept. I upped my cals for the first time in many years. All of sudden, my body is gaining muscle, and taking shape in a way that I never knew it could. It took me many years to figure out that I can eat more, and acheive BETTER results. So, yes, you can lose on 1200 cals, but you can also lose on 2000. In many ways, we are all Monicas. TFS!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Umm that's a lot to digest
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    On most days I get in 2 - 1 hour bike riding session at vigorous effort. They usually burn around 1,000 calories each. I think I would actually starve to death on a 1,200 calorie diet.
  • erper83
    erper83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love this post! I was feeling discouraged after feeling HUNGRY with only 130 calories left--AFTER EXERCISE-- to try to plan dinner around. You gave me the encouragement to have a real, lean meal!! THANK YOU!
  • halleyg2
    halleyg2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. I can't help but think this is geared way more toward men. Especially the heavy lifters. When I've been thin with good physique and muscle definition, I ate 1200 calories a day. Any more than that and I'd gain. Maybe it has something to do with hypothyroid although I take medication.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    replying so i can read this later at home looks insightful.
  • lsand
    lsand Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Love your post. It makes sense to me. So any idea how many calories I should eat to lose 20 lbs? I am female, 5'4", 49 years old, weigh 150 lbs, walk outside 45 minutes daily, go to gym twice a week. Most of my extra weight is in my stomach, which I know is not good. Definitely apple-shaped. Thanks for your advice!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. I can't help but think this is geared way more toward men. Especially the heavy lifters. When I've been thin with good physique and muscle definition, I ate 1200 calories a day. Any more than that and I'd gain. Maybe it has something to do with hypothyroid although I take medication.

Could be hypothyroid, or perhaps you are very short? I can guarantee you that this post isn't only geared to men. There are many, many women who eat waayyy over 1200 and lose weight steadily. I lost weight eating 1900 for a while!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I am one of you...
    ...1200 calories a day is a paltry sniff of food. It's a dab of nutrients, and it's almost impossible to follow on a consistent (years) basis....

The number itself mocks you and makes you feel inadequate....You will live on...yes..but in misery.

well the thing is, you're not me.
    You look like a rather muscular man, where as I am neither. When you turn into a 45 year old woman, then you'll be one of "me".
    1200 calories a day probably is NOT enough for you, but its fine for me. I'm not starving. most days i'm not even hungry.
    I woh't have to stay at 1200 calories for years, because I will get to my goal weight and eat more to maintain.

I'm not mocked, and I don't feel inadequate, and i'm not miserable.

perhaps you should change the thread title to end with "for me", since you can't stand there and tell me what's going to work for me.

Agree! Wait until you are a small 58- year old woman with a BMR of 1,000. 1200 calories is a veritable feast. Working on handling maintenance now, but it is unlikely that I will ever be able to eat more tan 1400 even with moderate exercise. Which is fine. My nutritional needs are getting met and I'm full of energy.

Like many prescriptive "should" posts, this does not take body differences into account.
  • Angel0787
    Angel0787 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

^ Same issue!

I personally think that the calorie deficit should come from your actual TDEE (usually taking 250-300 calories from your TDEE to create the deficit.)
    [/quote

Okay, I am just trying to get an understanding on this. So if my TDEE is 2005, then I should in intaking around 1705 calories daily, plus eating back those that I burn during exercise? I'm just trying to make sure that I understand it and am going in the right direction lol
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    This was so easy for me to understand! Thank you!