Why I love MFP (to combat the moaning threads!!)

Options

Replies

• MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I :heart: MFP because:

- If you know where to look, it provides lots of knowledge about fitness and nutrition.
    - The people. Every single person in my FL is awesome.
    - It keeps me entertained
    - Only place I know where is acceptable to post pictures wearing close to nothing. You know, to show progress...
    - It makes my work day go by faster (I love this, my employer not so much!)
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I :heart: MFP because:

- If you know where to look, it provides lots of knowledge about fitness and nutrition.
    - The people. Every single person in my FL is awesome.
    - It keeps me entertained
    - Only place I know where is acceptable to post pictures wearing close to nothing. You know, to show progress...
    - It makes my work day go by faster (I love this, my employer not so much!)

Yes, all of these!
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    In the beginning because it opened my eyes and showed me how much I was going OVER my suggested calorie intake.

The, when I hit plateaus I had great resources (friends, forums) to learn how to change things up and break through.

Now, to make sure I am bringing in ENOUGH calories - not always easy when go for long bike rides and long runs!

Oh, and there is no way I could ever forget or discount the fun, twisted humor that the awesome people on here have ... makes me feel right at home! ;-)
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    1. It's FREE. why is this important? Because it promotes lifestyle change, if you let it. Weight Watchers and other paid programs set you up with more of a diet frame of mind. You pay until you lose the weight and then you are done. Yes, most preach staying onboard for maintenance, but who really does that, its quite rare I guess. With MFP you can keep going forever.

2. Great friends that I have made here. We encourage each other daily.

3. Humans are communal creatures. We have survived for millions of years by working together. MFP promotes that. Except for the trolls (they aren't human though are they?).

4. The basic tools. entering food and exercise. key for me to stay on top of things.

5. Success stories. These are inspiring. :)

MFP may have just saved my life. thank you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    For me it's:
    -The awesome, smart and supportive friends
    -The chance to learn more and get more resources than I've ever seen in one place

Just 2 but more than enough!!
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MFP!!! :smooched:

Nearly everyone on my FL is so encouraging.
    I'm on here every day. Literally. Until my vacay last week I had logged over 300 days in a row. This site changed my life.
    The fact I can log on with my phone has made things so much easier than trying to remember for later.
    Posts like this just make my day!!!
    And of course the one most amazing aspect.... :heart: It's Free!!!!!:heart: this always bears repeating. :happy:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I'm fed up of the moaning about grumpy people, attacking etc. I'm starting this thread because basically I LOVE MFP. I truly heart you. You've help me lose more than just fat. I've learnt more about nutrition and exercise in the past 6 months than I have in years of dieting. The people and the help they give is just phenomenal. You find the right group of friends, put the effort in and don't behave like a *kitten* and you will find nothing but positivity here. Why do you love and stay on this site? Please share?

Same reasons, plus I love the banter on the forums...took me while to get with it, being British and all but I love 'em!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I love MFP because -
    I've found so many amazing and supportive people.
    I can brag about my weight loss or post about my daily workouts and don't get people asking me why I'm posting it.
    Lots of great food and recipe ideas.
    I've learned a lot from checking the forums and then researching to verify or disprove info.
    But mostly because this app helped me do what I thought was impossible - get back to my high school size and below.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Definitely the forums. They are a veritable fount of useful and relevant information. Nowhere else on the internet can you find such a gathering of easy-going, confident, knowledgeable experts on every topic you can imagine. Whether it's what counts as water or relationship advice or the optimal path to maximum health, they absolutely know their stuff...and the logically-centered exchange of differing viewpoints is refreshing, to say the least.

Ahh, yes. Thank you, MFP forums.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I :heart: MFP. Love like chocolate sauce and ice cream. Pop tarts and pizza. Chicken wings and celery sticks. Thong Thursdays and TMI Tuesdays. Hamburgers and beer. Bacon.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I love it because there are other chicks lifting weights... outside my coupla gym-gal-pals, none of the girls I know have ever deadlifted a thang.

It's also nice to hear about nutrition from people without a financial agenda...

Plus the people are cool and funny and sooooo smart!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I find the pictures showing people who have lost huge amounts of weight simply amazing. They're an inspiration. If so many people can do that, I can do anything -- well, maybe.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What a great thread. I love the community spirit, learning about weight loss from people who really know, logging everything, inspiration. It's been truly life changing, love it, love it, love it!! Some threads are lame but I don't get angry I just move on to another. This one is brilliant, well done x
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have met the most amazing people!!!! I seriously have the best friends list ever, love you guys!!!!
  • maeveslim
    maeveslim Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I find it so easy to use to log my food, the database is truly a modern marvel! Plus it is so great to have a supportive FL to celebrate successes and be nice when you are having a bad day. Best of all I am being sucessful and it is FREE no one is trying to sell me anything!!! This cannot be praised enough :)
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    To be honest I found this site by mistake while trying to find a website to help me keep track of calories. This site came up and it was the best thing ever AND it was FREE the database has virtually every food possible. I originally used it to track calories and then maybe 6 months later I met my first friend and that changed everything again the support and inspiration from friends is AMAZING! I love the forums I have learned SO much. Being able to access the site on my phone is easy and convenient. Thank you creators for giving us fatties a place to get our life back in order. I love you MFP! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    IF "Success is a staircase, not a doorway." THEN MFP is an escalator. :). And hopefully you are walking/running up the escalator not just standing there.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    IF "Success is a staircase, not a doorway." THEN MFP is an escalator. :). And hopefully you are walking/running up the escalator not just standing there.

Ha ha I like that I'm on the MPF escalator!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    The Mods and the rest of the staff make it a great place to be, without them the site would crumble. MFP has come along ways from it's early days with only Mike running it and then came Al, and the volunteer mods, and then MFP simply blew up in size when facebook was hooked in. Then came Steven, Olivia, and a host of other mods and behind the scenes peeps, that keep this place running smoothly.:drinker:

I love the small groups and how easy it is to enjoy a small group of friends that I can keep up with and feel close too.

There are just too many things to list... I could go on and on but I won't, gotta get some good sleep for a workout in the a.m. Right after I log food for tomorrow, oh and the database, the logging section...all great features!

:drinker: :smooched:

EDIT: I totally agree, what a positive thread to post OP, we need as many of these as we can get on MFP, Thanks!!:flowerforyou:
    Oh...and the ignore feature, totally in love with that!! :laugh:
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I love MFP because it keeps me focused on my goals. I have tried losing weight before, but always gave up because I didn't see progress and results right away. This site has taught me that it takes time to achieve your goals and that through hard work and perseverance it IS possible! Plus the people on here are absolutely wonderful! I have found so much encouragement through this site, and it's a lot easier for me to talk to the people on here about my struggles as opposed to my friends and family in real life. Thanks MFP! :smile: