Does Anyone Else Stockpile Calories For Dinner??

Options

Replies

• Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I do the same... I used to try and eat a healthy breakfast (oatmeal, etc.) but then I find I get hungry at lunch and then I dont have enough cals for dinner... so now I just have a fruit with coffee in the morning and save my cals for dinner, so I can eat with my family.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I don't purposely stockpile calories for later in the day, that's just my natural preference. I graze on little stuff during the day then eat the vast majority of my calories between dinner and bedtime. That's just when I'm hungry, so that's when I eat. It works for me-I wouldn't do it that way if I was "forcing" myself to eat on that schedule - just as I don't force myself to eat more during the day just to eat less at night. It's much easier for me to sustain a pattern that follows my preferences.

I do this too.
  • Arcane2013
    Options
    I've always had a small meal for lunch and only rarely have breakfast so my dinners have always been the biggest meal. I was brought up doing this and I've just never changed.
  • XDiet_SlayerX
    Options
    My best reply to this is eat like a king for breakfast because you will most likely burn most of it off during the day, a prince at lunch and a peasant at dinner.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I dont do it intentionally but I also cook a full meal every night for everyone so I only have a light lunch. With four growing kids a salad wont go down too well especially in the winter.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Usually half of my calories are for dinner. The other half is all other meals including nighttime snacks. most of my calories are consumed after 4pm. It works for me. If I don't save those calories for when I'm hungriest then I will go over.
  • Chameleongal
    Options
    I have major problems going to bed at night and one of the remedies is a big meal. After I eat my 500 calories at night, I'm knocked out. Works pretty well for me!
  • hlavers
    hlavers Posts: 32
    Options
    NEVER!

I always eat the majority of my cals in the morning and afternoon because it keeps my metabolism (and mood) elevated during the work day when I need the mental boost.

It also makes sense to have more calories earlier in the day when you have more time to burn them off. When I'm planning a dinner out or want a bigger cal dinner I make sure to get in a good workout that day to make sure I have enough to eat.

1200 cals a day doesn't sound like much, make sure you're not starving yourself which is counterproductive to weight loss :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I used to but I'd be so hungry by night I'd not always make good choice. I increased my calories so I can still have a hearty dinner and fuel myself through out the day. I now eat 1700. 500-700 of that is usually dinner! X
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I actually save most of my calories for after dinner, as I am a night snacker :P.
  • Linybean
    Linybean Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to a nice hearty meal gives me a reason to live :)

I feel that way sometimes too! :)
  • LovahLorah
    LovahLorah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do this too, glad to know I am not the only one! Helps me to keep on track!
  • KellyKat64
    KellyKat64 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I noticed I was doing the same thing until I tried a little mental trick. Instead of thinking of food in reference to meals or snacks I changed my meal descriptions to increments of time. It works for me. Now instead of worrying about the meal I just enter what I eat in the time range I eat it. It may sound crazy but it seems to be working.

But in the end if you are still keeping your calories and nutrition in the correct range you will lose. And for me the more I move the better able I am able to stay on track. Probable because psychologically I have made more of an effort.

Good Luck:smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    NEVER!

I always eat the majority of my cals in the morning and afternoon because it keeps my metabolism (and mood) elevated during the work day when I need the mental boost.

It also makes sense to have more calories earlier in the day when you have more time to burn them off. When I'm planning a dinner out or want a bigger cal dinner I make sure to get in a good workout that day to make sure I have enough to eat.

1200 cals a day doesn't sound like much, make sure you're not starving yourself which is counterproductive to weight loss :)

You should read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • chadselmer
    chadselmer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did when I first started the program a while back. Lost 40 lbs, it was great. But I noticed that I lost a ton of muscle. Did some research on the subject, and while it is true that calories in/calories out will definitely lead to reduced weight no matter what, and that it is of course normal to lose muscle as well as fat, more calories later in the day will shift your insulin levels higher at night (unless you are all protein, which I doubt), and that in turn causes a decrease in natural HGH production at night.

HGH production is necessary for muscle maintenance and growth, and what I experienced was a significant loss in strength, despite consistently working out. I shifted to more calories in the morning and less at night, and I noticed over time that I was getting better muscle development from working out.

It's just a theory, but my suspicion is that while you'll see the same or similar weight loss, you'll see more fat loss & muscle retention, and therefore a higher sustained metabolic rate if your calories are weighted earlier in the day. But that's just my 2c.
  • roiLEI1554
    Options
    I do the same thing! i eat about 600 throughout the day and then save 600 for dinner (and possible snacks afterward) to help me get through studying
  • kelfer80
    kelfer80 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that so many do this. I do too for the most part. I can have small , low cal snacks during the day, but I like being able to have pretty much anything I want at dinner time. It also makes it easier for me if we aregoing out to eat. I have plenty of calories to play with.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    For 8 years now I've worked 3rd shift & rarely do I eat during the daytime, I'm either sleeping till 1PM and then I'm out the door doing errands, yardwork, Riding, etc. and don't stop until I get home at 6PM to finally eat a meal. Take a nap at 8PM before my shift starts and at work I have snacks to keep my body going. I think it's what you've trained yourself to do it and when you do it. Now if I could just train myself to lose weight I'd be soooo :happy: :love: :smooched: :smile:
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I stockpile for dinner every night because my hubby likes heavy calorie dinners. I find that by eating light throughout the day then having a big dinner, I'm better able to fit my diet into my life.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing but find I feel better all day if I balance my calories for the 4 meals I eat.