Fat-Shaming May Curb Obesity?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't think we need to shame people but I do think we need to quit making excuses for obesity being accepted as the norm. Stop adjusting sizes so the overweight can feel good about themselves, making allowances on public transport, ***** footing around the word fat by using chubby, fluffy, etc, making adjustments to the work place to accommodate the obese.

There's the odd special snowflake out there who has some genuine medical problem that causes a weight issue but for the 99% it's a matter of getting your head in the game. Pretending it's alright is not helping.

Edit: Seriously? Another word for cat is deserving of censorship? SMH

I'm fine with not vanity sizing. A number is a number. But stop making allowances on public transport? You mean seats big enough to accomodate people who need a place to sit. Sorry, that's straight up sizism. You're not human enough to deserve a seat if your *kitten* is a certain size? **** that ****. People are people. We need to treat each other with a basic level of respect and dignity regardless of physical appearance.

Sizism? What nonsense, who will pay for bigger seats?
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I think fat people get hell enough for being fat. We don't need extra drama. People judge without knowing why some of us are fat, medical issues or whatever.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm not even reading it. I can just imagine. It is putting blame in the individual and no one else is taking any blame. Look at the high processed foods that grow up eating. What about people on welfare who can only afford cans of soup, kraft dinner, etc. I think as a society we should all be looking to curb obesity. People gain weight for all kinds of reasons: depression, child birth, medications, poor diet, physical limitations. I am not trying to make excuses for people, but shaming is not a good way to go about anything. Encouragement and support? Sure. People need to feel self-determined and motivated. People need to want this change for themselves, not because they are bullied into it.

You're not trying to make excuses for people but that's all you did, foods don't jump in ones mouth, nor does any one type of food make you fat. The chronic over consumption of calories makes you fat, who is in control of that? You are

People find themselves in the situation they are in for all knids of reasons. If you were taught to eat and live a certain way it can be hard to unchange that behaviour. If all you can afford is cheap processed foods, you have 5 kids to raise, and no money or time for the gym etc it can be hard. When people are just trying to survive and get through the day, it can be hard. I just don't think we should be putting these people down more. I also do not think we should be putting all the blame on the individual. If obesity is such an issue why are there more fastfood places than healthy restaurants? Why are vegtables so expensive but for 1.29 you can feed 2 people with a box of kraft dinner? What about medications that cause weight gain? What about women who give birth and then due to all kinds of reason (money, depression, time) have a really hard time getting back on track?

People don't just wake up and decide to be obese.

But clearly you woke up and decided to be ignorant.

Ah yes excuse after excuse, overeating makes you fat. ZOMG, fast food or processed foods, do they make you fat if you are in a deficit or at maintenance? Eggs, milk, cheese, ground beef, whole chickens, fresh veg is cheap, people are just too lazy to cook stuff, once again it's on the individual and you are are the ignorant one if you thing all these external factors are forcing food down their throats and making people fat

Boot strap mentality your worthless because you dont do habit A and therefore I have every right to change you because it is the right way. I dont know I'd think about my words before I started insulting a bunch of fat people who are also getting stronger now we might sit on you and with our super strength now you wont stand a chance.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I was told I was fat by ever member of my family it soon sorted me out to lose weight x but who are people to tell other people that there fat my has put quite abut of weight on after being pregnant an she's the happiest she has ever been x
  • Annaduurai
    Annaduurai Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well, one of the arguments was that public shaming of smokers worked to get people to quit smoking.

Some people are genetically predisposed to obesity. Medical issues. Hormonal problems. No one is predisposed to smoking.

Not that that is an excuse to be obese, but it's also very easy for a slender person to make this assumption.

People aren't breathing in my fat, and I am not sitting on their babies. Just sayin'
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    This is supposed to be a supportive site. And there are a lot of people on here considered overweight or obese for whatever reason. This is a place where people come to get support and make changes.

This is a site to count calories, to many people rely on the crutch of internet friends telling them how awesome they are. People need to learn how to stand on their own, thats when the successes will come.

Nice Trollface, sir, but you see this IS a support site. If people really only wanted to count calories or track their exercise efforts, they could do so easily on their own. The ability to do so accurately has existed long before the internet was even around. This is a social site intended to create a sense of community and togetherness, because we are all (supposedly) here to improve our health, whether it's eating right, getting fit, losing weight or bulking up. People DO need to learn to stand on their own, and you are right in saying that, but I can just hear the judgement in your tone reading it. Obviously being on this site 24/7 will do nothing for us, the point is that when we come here as part of our daily routine after we've done our part outside to eat healthy and exercise, it's seeking motivation to do even better tomorrow. What is so wrong about that?
  • Ramberta
    Options
    Well, one of the arguments was that public shaming of smokers worked to get people to quit smoking.

Some people are genetically predisposed to obesity. Medical issues. Hormonal problems. No one is predisposed to smoking.

Not that that is an excuse to be obese, but it's also very easy for a slender person to make this assumption.

People aren't breathing in my fat, and I am not sitting on their babies. Just sayin'

This made me laugh out loud! Excellent.
  • celestialbadger
    Options
    Hahahahahah--oh wait that guy is serious?

I was bullied and shamed about my weight for nearly 20 years. It didn't work. What worked was me deciding I wanted to improve my health and my life. Rubbing my success in the face of people who treated me like a subhuman piece of filth is incredibly gratifying, yes, but it was never, and will never, be my motivation.
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    I don't think we need to shame people but I do think we need to quit making excuses for obesity being accepted as the norm. Stop adjusting sizes so the overweight can feel good about themselves, making allowances on public transport, ***** footing around the word fat by using chubby, fluffy, etc, making adjustments to the work place to accommodate the obese.

There's the odd special snowflake out there who has some genuine medical problem that causes a weight issue but for the 99% it's a matter of getting your head in the game. Pretending it's alright is not helping.

I'm fine with not vanity sizing. A number is a number. But stop making allowances on public transport? You mean seats big enough to accomodate people who need a place to sit. Sorry, that's straight up sizism. You're not human enough to deserve a seat if your *kitten* is a certain size? **** that ****. People are people. We need to treat each other with a basic level of respect and dignity regardless of physical appearance.

Sizism? What nonsense, who will pay for bigger seats?

Once again from the top, for the troll whose mother did not cover this: People are people. We need to treat each other with a basic level of respect and dignity regardless of physical appearance.
  • Ramberta
    Options

Okay, I'm really not trying to be rude when I say this, so I will say it as nicely as I can-- while I agree that it's sad and humiliating that my ex-girlfriend had to pay for two seats on her airline flight (because she weighs nearly 400 pounds), the fact is that if we are TOO accommodating, no one will have motivation to improve their health. And the cold, hard truth is that if you can't fit in a seat designed for one normal-sized person you are probably at an unhealthy weight. When I couldn't ride Raging Bull three years ago with my friends because I couldn't get the bar down far enough, it was embarrassing and I wanted to cry, but I didn't consider the ride to be "sizeist" because I didn't fit on it.

It's true that there are some people who are overweight and truly cannot do anything about it because of medical conditions, and that breaks my heart, but MOST people can lose part of that excess weight if they are committed to doing so. It's not "sizism" to not make seats designed for size 30+ butts. It's being hopeful that we will never NEED seats that are size 30+ on a broad scale, that that becomes the new "norm" for the world. See the difference? I am NOT advocating body shaming and disagree with the OP that it can be helpful, but there is quite a large grey area between body shaming and encouraging people to remain at their unhealthy weights by making it easy for them to continue their daily lives at said weight.
  • missttl
    Options
    Although I am all for the 'tough love' I will never shame someone for anything. Exposing someone's shorfalls only makes it worse. Some people may react on that and go like 'ok, you call me fatty, I'll show you' and lose all the weight, but they will be still a fat person inside, you know? what's it gonna do to their self-esteem? not much. Instead I am for encouraging, empowering and supporting and yes, some telling off works at times ;-)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Shaming is wrong, and and I don't believe it will result in healthy weight loss, more likely just direct suicide instead of indirect suicide by food.

I do think we've gone too far in the other direction though. The western world enables obesity and glorifies over-eating. It's not enough to have good tasting food to celebrate, you have to eat it to excess as well or you aren't doing it right. And of course, every day is a celebration of something. And even while we fret about the harm obesity is doing, and the money it's costing the country, we say "it's ok to be fat" and "big is beautiful". It's not ok to be fat. It might not be shameful - it was a mistake, and we all make mistakes - but it's not ok.

You even hear parents gushing about how much their children can eat - somehow making it sound like a skill to be lauded. Or filling a plate with more than an adult sized portion, and then expecting the plate to be cleared. What sort of adult do we expect as a result of this? My ex's kid is already obese and he's the same age as my daughter - six. How the heck do you get obese in just six years on the planet?

When my step-son visits he brings that attitude with him - "I can eat a whole pizza and then ice cream afterwards." I'm trying to get him to see that if he's full after two slices, then eating more is unnecessary. I certainly won't praise or glorify him for eating more than he needs to. If I put out too much food and he pushes the plate away unfinished, I'll ask "Are you full?" Assuming he says yes, I'll reply "Then I think that's a good choice." On the flip side, if he's cleared his plate, but we've had a really busy day, I'll certainly offer more. In short, I'm trying to encourage an awareness of the link between the day's activity and the necessary amount of food to fuel it.
  • soberstudent
    Options
    What a horrible way of thinking, surely this would just raise the amount of people with eating disorders.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    I'm not even reading it. I can just imagine. It is putting blame in the individual and no one else is taking any blame. Look at the high processed foods that grow up eating. What about people on welfare who can only afford cans of soup, kraft dinner, etc. I think as a society we should all be looking to curb obesity. People gain weight for all kinds of reasons: depression, child birth, medications, poor diet, physical limitations. I am not trying to make excuses for people, but shaming is not a good way to go about anything. Encouragement and support? Sure. People need to feel self-determined and motivated. People need to want this change for themselves, not because they are bullied into it.

You're not trying to make excuses for people but that's all you did, foods don't jump in ones mouth, nor does any one type of food make you fat. The chronic over consumption of calories makes you fat, who is in control of that? You are

People find themselves in the situation they are in for all knids of reasons. If you were taught to eat and live a certain way it can be hard to unchange that behaviour. If all you can afford is cheap processed foods, you have 5 kids to raise, and no money or time for the gym etc it can be hard. When people are just trying to survive and get through the day, it can be hard. I just don't think we should be putting these people down more. I also do not think we should be putting all the blame on the individual. If obesity is such an issue why are there more fastfood places than healthy restaurants? Why are vegtables so expensive but for 1.29 you can feed 2 people with a box of kraft dinner? What about medications that cause weight gain? What about women who give birth and then due to all kinds of reason (money, depression, time) have a really hard time getting back on track?

People don't just wake up and decide to be obese.

But clearly you woke up and decided to be ignorant.

Ah yes excuse after excuse, overeating makes you fat. ZOMG, fast food or processed foods, do they make you fat if you are in a deficit or at maintenance? Eggs, milk, cheese, ground beef, whole chickens, fresh veg is cheap, people are just too lazy to cook stuff, once again it's on the individual and you are are the ignorant one if you thing all these external factors are forcing food down their throats and making people fat

Boot strap mentality your worthless because you dont do habit A and therefore I have every right to change you because it is the right way. I dont know I'd think about my words before I started insulting a bunch of fat people who are also getting stronger now we might sit on you and with our super strength now you wont stand a chance.

Yes because clearly I wouldn't hear you lumbering towards me and I couldn't just walk away at a quickened pace with you wheezing and trying to catch up

You are being very rude and ignorant. Please stop.
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    it's true that a network of family, friends, and society that prioritizes enabling a food addict to stay on a person's good side or maximize profit isn't doing that person any favours.

tough love through complete unabashed honesty, paired with love, support, and provision of useful tools goes a much longer way towards helping than kissing someone's fat *kitten*. ;)

Edit to add: negativity and un-constructive comments are a waste of everyone's time. ignore them.
  • jubeesh
    jubeesh Posts: 156
    Options
    You cannot make someone lose weight no matter how hard you try. My friends and family tried to get me to lose weight for years and I never did. I had to make the choice myself to get off my butt and do something about my weight. It has to come from within or it will not happen. Once you take the step to become healthier then it becomes a matter of preference as to what will help motivate you to keep going. Some people like rewards and some people like tough love, but every person is different. Shaming is NOT the answer though and will only lead to more obesity IMO.

^THIS!!!!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Yes because clearly I wouldn't hear you lumbering towards me and I couldn't just walk away at a quickened pace with you wheezing and trying to catch up

Wow. Really?

Fat =/= Unhealthy. I've seen some overweight people run far, run fast, run well. That was really just insulting for the sake of it. Not sure about anyone else, but I'm not going to be shamed into losing weight just because someone finds it fit to ridicule me.
  • MirinSerratus
    MirinSerratus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    but a 99% tax on all those over 12% BF... two things will occur, the will lose weight themselves, or they will be so heavily taxed they will not be able to eat those loose weight that way...no excuse to be fat its a personal choice a poor one that that. being fat is like being a drug addict you choose the lift style if you dont like the way your treated change yourself not others.
  • merrymurderess
    Options
    The world is way too sensitive these days.

Translation: It's not my fault when I say something that's out of line, offensive, or hurtful! It's the OTHER person's fault for being so darn sensitive. Why, oh WHY can't I just say whatever I want without experiencing any negative consequences?
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea! My problem was definitely that I was never ashamed ENOUGH.

I don't' think anybody should ever sugar-coat it for fat people, but shaming doesn't help.