How often do you weigh yourself and why?

Options
I weigh myself two to three-times a day. I always go by the morning numbers only because I know that i weigh more at night and I can also figure out that I'm going to lose about a pound-pound and a half at night while sleeping.

After all how can you adjust your routine when you don't know your status until the end of the week?

I find this works for me as I know that if I am up I have to increase and if I am down then I am doing SOMETHING right and either keep doing it or improve it more.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• honeypeas
    honeypeas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was weighing my self 3 times a week, but I was only getting mad when I saw a higher number, so I"ve been fighting with myself, but I'm weighing once a week now. Sometimes the scale taunts me, but I'm really trying to only do my weekly weigh in so that I can get an accurate look at how I"m doing without those little fluctuations.
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a week. As I have gotten older I have noticed that my body really likes to hold onto water even though I drink way more than my daily requirement. If I see my numbers going up during the week, I turn up the water and turn down the salt. My official weigh day is Thursday but I like to check in early in the week to make sure I am on track.
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a week since you weight changes so much due to so many things less of a chance to get down on yourself if there's a lack of weight lose.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Twice per day - morning and evening. And you are correct. You want to learn how your diet affects your weight. If you are off the regular meal schedules and overeat at the restaurant for example, and your weight registered a number, you want to know about it. Your approach is just fine.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week and never on a Monday because if I am going to eat a little off its on the weekend and Mondays would scare me.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every morning, same time same circumstances etc. I have a spreadsheet graph that i add the number to. I dont worry about the daily number itself, i'm more interested in the overall graph i've created. If the trend is downward, im' happy, regardless of fluctuations. After months and months of data, i have a pretty cool graph going on.
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I'm a once a day weigher. I always weigh in the morning before I eat or drink anything but after I've gone to the bathroom. I normally only track/record my weight once a week.
  • shape_up4good
    Options
    every morning.
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Once every 2 weeks at my clinic while there for a blood check
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I only log based on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning weigh in, but I weigh myself at the gym every time I go, mostly for curiosity's sake.
  • CalvinLosingIt
    CalvinLosingIt Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Three Times a day. As my weight doesn't vary much during the day, this gives my a good indication on how certain foods affect my diet. Like with supper I have the least weight loss till the following weigh in. That is why I am trying to eat more at breakfast and less at night. Also if I see a weight loss it helps motivate me. Even when there is no weight loss I know that it will come eventually seeing as I eat 1500 calories a day as opposed to my previous 4500.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week--any more than that and I get a bit obsessive over it.

I've just taken my measurements and plan to do that once per month.
  • ewennmacher
    Options
    every morning. it helps me to learn how different foods and exercise effects my body. some people can't handle weighing every day and i get that, but i know that results take time, and if the scale says i gained 2 pounds in a day its not for real.
  • deb2799
    deb2799 Posts: 45
    Options
    Once per day, in the morning
  • lirr10185
    lirr10185 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I only weight myself every few weeks. If I don't see big jumps I get discouraged so I force myself to wait at least 3 or 4 weeks maybe even longer so I can see a difference. It seems to keep me more motivated than when I would do it once a week. I do measure myself often though. I have replaced the scale with a tape measure.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, but record it on Thursdays and Mondays. Thursdays because that was just the first day I recorded on here, and Mondays because that is when I get weighed in at TOPS. I like recording twice a week, because I find it keeps me on my game all week.

I don't mind weighing everyday because I understand fluctuations and all that, so it doesn't get to me. However, once I've ingested liquids or food, I don't see the point in weighing yourself later in the day. Unless you had a really great poop and are curious. Then, go for it.
  • Sindaelys
    Sindaelys Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a day, every day. I do it just to make sure I'm heading in the right direction, and it's interesting to see how what I eat affects the scale. (Beer...:noway: ) If I see stable decreases I'll write it in on here, but I'm not nearly as obsessed with it as I thought I would be.
  • crubinetti
    crubinetti Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a day too... Not because of the number per se but because it keeps me motivated. If I know I have to get on the scale every morning, regardless of the number, I think twice about eating icecream. The day I don't, I know I will make it one more day.... then just one more and then...... no more.

I have been through this enough. I am done. I was not raised in a scale minded family. Years went by when I only weighed at the doctors office. When it is not in my face, I am not dealing with it. I have to go on a trip in February. I am packing my scale. I have 100+ plus to lose and this time I WANT IT GONE.

That being said.... I have the fancy scale because I know that muscle weighs more than fat so I also measure that. I guess it sort of sounds like an addiction but literally I went years without using one and that clearly did me no good! Out of sight, out of mind is my problem!
  • JoQuinn523
    JoQuinn523 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self every morning.I like that the number is going down-even if its only by ounces. It encourages me to stick to my plan and that my goal weight is in reach!!:flowerforyou:
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    Interesting - my sister and I were just now talking about this!

Once per week. Habit from my weight watchers days. Their reasoning was that so many factors you can't control can fluctuate your weight, they didn't want us getting too fixated and frustrated. Once per week is a great indication as to how well (or not) you did. Most who gained were not surprised - they were tracking their food so they know typically.

I did pick Thursdays as my day but I think Fridays will be my day. Weekends I don't go overboard, but I'm not gonna freak out either if I enjoy something I typically wouldn't normally.

If I kept seeing my weight go up, even by a 10th of a pound, it would drive me nutty and I would get discouraged. Once per week shows me what a real loss looks like, in theory anyway :-)