How often do you weigh yourself and why?

Options

Replies

• atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've had to force myself to stop doing it every day. If I saw that I gained, after being "good" the previous day, I would feel defeated and just say screw it. Now I'm doing once a week on Thursdays.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in religiously every Monday Morning, but now I just weigh in probably every couple weeks. I'm in a bit of a Plateau (of my own making...bad food choices) so I am not focusing on the scale.
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Options
    Sadly, every time in the bathroom. Because it's there.
    The numbers don't affect me since I know weight can fluctuate during the course of a day, I just can't help satisfying my curiosity.

edit:: I only take the number 'seriously' on my official weigh in day [Friday morning].
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh twice a week, Wednesday mornings and Sunday mornings, and it's more for curiosity. I'm much more concerned about losing inches rather than weight, and I do my measurements every two weeks, as well as checking to see how my clothes fit.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Use to weigh once a week. My goals have changed and so now I weigh once a month.
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    For my preference, I enter my weight into my MFP iPhone app and a spreadsheet every Friday morning. However, I weigh myself every morning because....
    After all how can you adjust your routine when you don't know your status until the end of the week?

I weigh myself on Sat-Sun mornings to get an idea if I'm over-doing it on the weekend. :drinker: I check Monday morning to see exactly how much I overdid it. :grumble: I weigh myself on Mon-Thur mornings to make sure I'm progressing. :frown: :indifferent: :smile: :happy:

> Kevin
  • Curvatures
    Options
    I find that the reason most people opt for weighing themselves less often, is because they get flustered by the daily/weekly fluctuations.

I find that I am the opposite, however. I like to have a larger amount of measurements to draw on, and know what my normal "fluctuation" is in the span of a day, or during a monthly cycle, or after a heavy meal.

I actually feel more grounded when surrounded by a denser cloud of data points, and less likely to be bummed out by an anomalously high reading if I know it's on the outskirts of my normal range. I also don't prematurely congratulate myself on a small loss, for the very same reasons. :P

A single data point is always less representative, and more prone to error and misinterpretation. I like average and trendlines :)
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own thing they do, but I don't want to become obsessed about my weight because afterall, that is not the most important thing.

Sometimes I think seeing our wt progress on here, can make it a huge focal point.

To some, maybe I do weigh myself a lot, but I weigh myself each day, first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and that is it!

Weighing everyday keeps me motivated and yet at the same time, not doing it multiple times a day keeps me from "freaking out" when I see I've gave 2-5lbs throughout the day!!
  • Millie2045
    Options
    I am obsessed with weighing myself.
    First thing in the morning everywhere I go
    with my job if they have scales (I'm a domestic cleaner)
    I also keep a record of what they all say day by day week by week.
    I know it sounds mad but it keeps me focused on my goal!!
  • kluaneb
    kluaneb Posts: 13
    Options
    I personally have not weighed myself in almost a year. I have been weighed at my doctor if I have an appointment, but I don't ask the number. I found I was too obsessed with it and it was at the urging of my nutritionist that I stopped doing it. I honestly could not tell you my weight right now. I do get a Bod Pod every few months and my nutritionist looks at it. He has not freaked out about the results, so I guess I am doing okay.
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    This month I've been checking daily in the morning, and writing it down on a calendar so I can get a visual of how my body behaves during the week. I normally post my weight loss twice in a month or just once
  • erg2013
    erg2013 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I only weigh monthly. I am going more by how my clothes fit.
  • MelissaM528
    MelissaM528 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well I would like to say that I only weigh myself once a week because I know that is ideal, but the reality is that I weigh myself almost every day. I only "count" my Thursday morning weigh in on MFP though.
  • fitblondebaker22
    Options
    I have weighed myself TWICE since November. I used to weigh 3 times a day - I was obsessive with tracking fluctuations, and I would base my meals on my weigh ins. After learning about fluctuations because of things like water retention from sodium and weight training, a good BM *sorry*, and fat loss vs muscle gains, I realized basing my progress on a stupid number on a scale was ridiculous. I couldn't move forward if I didn't let go of a number. It doesn't define me or my progress. Best thing I ever did!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and update MFP. I like to see where I am every day so I can track patterns with my eating and exercise. I also weigh myself at night. I do this because, if my weight is approximately the same that night, it means I'll have a pretty decent loss the next morning. It's been like this since I started (April), and I really like being able to track it. It also prevents me from freaking out over little gains. :)
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Every morning. It's habit. Wake up, go pee (tmi), get on the scale ;)
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Every morning. It's habit. Wake up, go pee (tmi), get on the scale ;)

Me too.
  • Izzerial
    Options
    Twice a day. In the morning after getting up and in the evening before going to sleep. Uh-uh, in the last couple of weeks I forced myself not to do it though I feel like I need the control.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Once a week, formerly Sundays, now Monday. Morning value. I have a second weigh-in with clothes later than morning for a class i am attending.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Thursday mornings.

Once a week seems to be fairly common. And I like Thursdays because if I slip up over the weekend I got 3+ days to work my *kitten* off to get the number straight.