tips on curbing night eating welcome

Options
13»

Replies

• nookeetoone
    Options
    Everyone who says that drinking green tea helps, is right :)

I find that if I crave something at night, and go for a nice cup of tea instead, it curbs the cravings. Plus it's delicious and brightens your mood! Specially if its green tea. I recommend the semi-expensive to expensive kind. If it's good quality its full of good things that will even aid your body ^_^

But I guess it could keep you awake if its not decaffeinated(but I never had this problem).
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Here's Dr. Oz's take: "My general rule is to avoid eating 2-3 hours before bedtime. So if you’re going to bed at 10, that means your last meal should end at 7 or 8. You want your body to have time to start burning off those calories before you hit the hay, otherwise they’ll just be stored as fat. Plus, eating late at night forces your body and brain to be digesting instead of resting."

Not everyone agrees with him....but I find his advice is usually pretty accurate.

Here are few things that work for me.

1. I always save a couple hundred of my daily calories just in case - but if I want to eat - I make it a healthy snack - I find eating some protein helps curb my desire to keep munching.
    2. Brush your teeth when you have decided you want to stop eating any more that evening - and then go an finish tracking your food on MFP - press submit for the day - Doing that helps me to reinforce that I'm done eating :-).
    3. I agree about drinking a nice cup of hot tea - - have a selection of herbals if you are affected by caffeine.
  • dconnolly818
    dconnolly818 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Night eating is my biggest problem too, the only thing I've found that has helped me even a little bit is planning my daily calories to include a little something about an hour and a half/ two hours before bed. My cravings are usually for sweet things, so I'll have something like a real fruit popsicle or a little 100 calorie pack of something. I tried to cut it out altogether but my boyfriend does like 80% of his eating in the 4 or 5 hours before he goes to bed so I would end up caving and eating WAY too much then beating myself up about it later. Now, I have a treat in my plans so I don't go over my calories, and I actually enjoy it more because I don't feel guilty.
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    Drink a glass of water. Sometimes your body sends hunger/craving signals when it's dehydrated. Then ask yourself if you're truly hungry. If the answer is yes, eat. If you had a good workout that day, your body may just be asking for more fuel. If not then don't. Learning to listen to your body is more valuable than tips to ignore it. Good luck!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Put the food in an inaccessible place. Don't buy it in the first place if possible.