What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    ^^Have you weighed a serving of peanut butter?...it is depressingly and deceivingly small
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Nuts and carrots. I was shocked that one adult carrot was over 100 calories, this is why I weigh everything and buy baby carrots (I'm a quantity eater)

Good news! A large carrot is NOT 100 calories. More like 35.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    ShareeEmma wrote: »
    Definitely peanut butter!

It's odd you say that I got a 100% peanut, organic peanut butter which is not that bad in cals... unless the barcode is not right when I scan it. I have an open diary I think it was Thursday night I 'accidentally' ate four tablespoons of... if it's wrong this could be why I'm not loosing anything

No matter the peanut butter, calories will nearly all be exactly the same: 200 per 32g, roughly. Ground up peanuts are all peanuts, no matter whether they were grown in a pig sty or in a unicorn forest. ;)
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Fast food. People talk up how "fattening" fast food is, but there are plenty of low calorie options available.
    Restaurant food. For whatever reason, I used to think sit down restaurants generally had lower calorie meals than fast food places, but anything and everything tends to be 1000+ calories. In the rare times I eat out, I can never eat more than half a meal.
  • chezinkflo
    chezinkflo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    rosy003 wrote: »
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

I would check again online about this. A punnet of fresh strawberries has only around 93 calories.
  • ShareeEmma
    ShareeEmma Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ShareeEmma wrote: »

It's odd you say that I got a 100% peanut, organic peanut butter which is not that bad in cals... unless the barcode is not right when I scan it. I have an open diary I think it was Thursday night I 'accidentally' ate four tablespoons of... if it's wrong this could be why I'm not loosing anything

No matter the peanut butter, calories will nearly all be exactly the same: 200 per 32g, roughly. Ground up peanuts are all peanuts, no matter whether they were grown in a pig sty or in a unicorn forest. ;)

Damn that label is wrong then. I wondered why when I ate the same brand from a different store the outcome on logging was different. Glad I Seen this!!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    rosy003 wrote: »
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

Is not! That's way off. lol. Did you try another entry because there are multiple? I just googled it multiple times and it should be under 100 calories.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Mayonnaise *cries* Light just isn't the same! Miracle whip is a little better...
    Also, I re-iterate nuts of all kinds are way higher in calories than I expected! Same for guacamole...and oil!
  • peanutbuttertuesday
    Options
    A salad with 1/4 c cheese and lite dressing still amount to about as many calories as if I had 4 oz of chicken with a side of black beans and corn, which imo is way more satisfying.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    LadyBirdGo wrote: »
    olive oil, caramel.....

also I'm amazed by the comparisons between the same foods by different brands...like if you compare the exact same type of soup made by progresso and campbell's the difference in calories and sodium can be shocking.

oh yeah, and before I forget...SPICES! I know this might sound stupid, but I actually used to think that all spices had 0 calories. ha!

and I am also shocked with certain fruits that have calories....(fyi, with weight watchers they tell you that fruits are 0 points....which i think gives you a false sense of reality)[b/].

And therein lies the problem with weight watchers/slimming world and those other slimming plans. They don't teach portion control or calorie counting. I've always maintained that if those business models really worked, the companies would go bust.

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Nuts...I love nuts and it's depressing how a small handful of say hazelnuts can add up quickly. I do find I feel happier and eat fewer if I buy them in the shells vs already shelled. Sadly the days of mixed nuts in shells being widely available seem to be over.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Nuts...I love nuts and it's depressing how a small handful of say hazelnuts can add up quickly. I do find I feel happier and eat fewer if I buy them in the shells vs already shelled. Sadly the days of mixed nuts in shells being widely available seem to be over.

Yes nuts so much. Before knowing calories I always thought nuts were "healthy" and would eat a bunch of them not knowing how calorie dense they were.
  • Safsaf711
    Safsaf711 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »

This, and it makes me so sad, because peanut butter is delicious and healthy. But I can only allow myself a little each day or I'll ruin my calorie goals :(

For those of you who absolutely love peanut butter but cringe when you look at the calories/fat, I've been trying this brand called PB2 (I got mine online but Walmart and Sam's club sell it too). It's a powdered form of peanut butter where a lot of the fat is removed. You just add water and it becomes creamy like actual peanut butter. It's not as intense of a peanut butter but hey, I don't feel guilty eating it anymore. 85% less fat 45 calories per 2 tbsp. Another plus is that you can add it to smoothies to make it creamier! (It's comes in chocolate peanut butter too-my favorite!)
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Saltine crackers
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wine.
  • crystallambeth
    crystallambeth Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    120weeks wrote: »
    Kids' sized Wendy's frosty is 200 calories. It is so small and completely not worth. I will always choose decadent Ice Cream over that!

Have you tried Halo Top.. you can eat the WHOLE pint for 240 calories!!! And the flavors.. YUM!!
  • NalaBellyFIT
    NalaBellyFIT Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! I am definitely not one of those who thinks that salads are all healthy, but I went to lunch with my sister and wanted to have something that would not totally derail me. When I got home and logged it, turns out the salad was 800 calories! Thank goodness I didn't finish it! Should have had a burger, it would have put me over just the same!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Kids' sized Wendy's frosty is 200 calories. It is so small and completely not worth. I will always choose decadent Ice Cream over that!

Have you tried Halo Top.. you can eat the WHOLE pint for 240 calories!!! And the flavors.. YUM!!

Aaaaggggghhhhhh

Not another Halo Top post.

A pox on all who post about Halo Top as those of us in Canada can't get it.

I do have holidays planned in the US and it will be the first thing I buy. And I am going to post all about eating it.

:)
  • Sassypattysassypatty
    Sassypattysassypatty Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Everything !!
    Two days in and I am looking at even "healthy" food differently. I guess I should check out peanut butter !!
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options

Aaaaggggghhhhhh

Not another Halo Top post.

A pox on all who post about Halo Top as those of us in Canada can't get it.

I do have holidays planned in the US and it will be the first thing I buy. And I am going to post all about eating it.

:)

Not available in the UK either :(