What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options
1323334353638»

Replies

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    Raw oysters. A dozen have around 100 calories total.

Edit: I was surprised by how low they are in calories.

Same with cooked frozen shrimp...(the 71-90 count/pound). You can have around 30 of them for 100 calories and 24 grams of protein too:))

Definitely not the big ones.

absolutely...the 71-90 count are the small ones. It actually works to be 3 calories/shrimp - or so the label states
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Pickles say they are 0 calories it's crazy to think you can eat pickles and only have to worry about salt intake.

There are calories in pickles just as there are in cucumbers. Serving size is kept small enough so there's < 5cals per, allowing the label to show zero.

This is why the serving size of a whole dill pickle is usually 1/2 or 1/3 of a pickle.

It's still not enough cals to worry about unless you're eating half a jar at a time.

I was pleasantly surprised by skim milk. I was thinking it would be higher. Glad it's my preferred choice for lattes, etc.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    calories of an Arizona Arnold Palmer vs a Gatorade. 20oz is 150 and 140 respectively but the sugar contents and other nutritional facts shocked me. I really though the Arizona would be packed full of sugars but it has around half or less than Gatorade. Same with sodium and a few others.
  • ana_varn
    ana_varn Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Halvas... I used to think it's healthier than let's say chocolate because it's made mainly with tahini and honey but hehehe 30 g of halvas is 180 calories and 30 g looks so little compared to what I used to consider a serving. Not satisfying at all. :persevere:

there are other foods such as pizza, potatoes, starchy veggies in general (my young mind had them low cal and healthy if not fried.

Positive surprise were aubergines, souvlaki if not containing gyros is the best junk food you can have! If you don't add the fried potatoes it is around 360 cals and if you do add them then it's 450 calories for a very protein rich, veggie rich meal. Only bad thing is that it can be higher in sodium than regular home cooked food!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Same with cooked frozen shrimp...(the 71-90 count/pound). You can have around 30 of them for 100 calories and 24 grams of protein too:))

Big or small it does not matter, 100g of shrimp meat is stil 100g of shrimp meat be it 1 shrimp or 30.

Yeah but 30 medium shrimp is definitely not 100 calories. Honestly I've never seen small frozen shrimp anyway... always medium or large.

Watch out though, some brands give wrong nutrition information too. I bought a bag of frozen shrimp at Walmart once and it claimed it was 45 calories for 3oz.... yeah no.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Not a food, per se, but Nyquil has 93 calories per dose. I was shocked. I decided to look it up on a whim because I took some last night for a cold. I logged it. Good thing I had some wiggle room.

Huh. I never would have thought to check something like that. And 93 calories is quite a bit, considering.
  • karenzehob
    karenzehob Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and pistachios...... :(
  • Francl27
    Options
    Not a food, per se, but Nyquil has 93 calories per dose. I was shocked. I decided to look it up on a whim because I took some last night for a cold. I logged it. Good thing I had some wiggle room.

Huh. I never would have thought to check something like that. And 93 calories is quite a bit, considering.

Guessing it's the liquid form - then yeah, the stuff that makes it drinkable and not disgusting has calories. Same for cough syrup or cough drops (and they don't always come in sugar free versions either unfortunately).
  • Klmom123
    Klmom123 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So many! Peanut butter just this morning. Margarita yesterday
  • Francl27
    Options

Big or small it does not matter, 100g of shrimp meat is stil 100g of shrimp meat be it 1 shrimp or 30.

Yeah but 30 medium shrimp is definitely not 100 calories. Honestly I've never seen small frozen shrimp anyway... always medium or large.

Watch out though, some brands give wrong nutrition information too. I bought a bag of frozen shrimp at Walmart once and it claimed it was 45 calories for 3oz.... yeah no.

Dont look at them as medium, large or small. 100g of shrimp meat is 100g of shrimp meat and that is 85cal.

But it's not what she was saying... she was saying that you can have 30 shrimps for 100 calories, and I said it's not often true, that's all.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I encourage you all to look at the macros in the very popular Gatorade protein bars. You will be shocked to see what is exactly in them. I actually have a video up on my YouTube channel comparing it to a snickers bar. The results will alarm you
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    How little calories are in potatoes!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    How little calories are in potatoes!

Right? They get bandied about like they're a calorie bomb.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was surprised the other night that cookie dough is so reasonable. I bought a package for $2.20 the other night because I was craving the cookie dough Halo Top and didn't want to pay $6. 1 square of cookie dough is only 80 calories and makes the craving go away.

I was also surprised at how reasonable artichokes are. For some reason, I thought they would be high calorie and super decadent (probably because the hearts taste really decadent?).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Guessing it's the liquid form - then yeah, the stuff that makes it drinkable and not disgusting has calories. Same for cough syrup or cough drops (and they don't always come in sugar free versions either unfortunately).

~17 of the calories would be from alcohol.

At 10% alcohol (assuming by volume) and a 30 mL dose: (30 mL) x (10%) x (0.789 g/mL) x (~7 calories/g) = 16.6 cal
  • maybebeccadough
    maybebeccadough Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The thing that started me moving toward vegetarian and vegan options was straight up the cost both monetarily and calorically of meats. Figuring out that it was cheaper to replace with beans/ tofu/etc was a revelation to me, and it's made me more adventurous with food. I also found out I LOVE chickpeas because of this, and I might never had known if I didn't start tracking calories.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    cld111 wrote: »
    Was there a food that you looked up and were shocked at the amount of calories it contained?

For me, it happened last night. I have those little 3 ounce bottles of Bailey's. They are 327 calories for that tiny little bottle. I knew they were bad, but I didn't know how bad... Ouch! But I'm glad I know now!

Craft beer, for sure! I absolutely love (love) Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA... which comes to a whopping 294 calories per bottle.

That's like drinking a snickers bar and then some.
  • Catsinsocks
    Catsinsocks Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Chipotle :'(