What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My homemade beef Enchiladas (with flour Tortillas cause I prefer the taste). 1 enchilada is over 700 calories :( so I have to save up all day for just 1 or take a hit later in the week to indulge in 2
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    What surprises me is just some of the ridiculous search results on this site. I understand that things differ and that people need to be able to adjust the database a bit, but why would anyone NOT just look up the generic and go from there, instead of putting in some ridiculous number?

e442tq7frtbo.png

Now, I know Waygu beef is much more, but not that much. And 3 oz of NY strip at 140 makes 4 oz about 180, which is way off from 260. This is just an example. You folks know what I'm talking about. Even the ones that are checked by MFP can differ greatly.whf7dpvpxbev.png
  • officials
    officials Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Granola, peanut butter, avocado, nuts, restaurant meals....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    What surprises me is just some of the ridiculous search results on this site. I understand that things differ and that people need to be able to adjust the database a bit, but why would anyone NOT just look up the generic and go from there, instead of putting in some ridiculous number?

e442tq7frtbo.png

Now, I know Waygu beef is much more, but not that much. And 3 oz of NY strip at 140 makes 4 oz about 180, which is way off from 260. This is just an example. You folks know what I'm talking about. Even the ones that are checked by MFP can differ greatly.whf7dpvpxbev.png

The problem with meat is that it just really depends on how much fat is on it. I don't know about you.. but I have no idea if my steak is 'trimmed to 1/8 fat' or not...
  • klowieislyfe
    klowieislyfe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Panda Express. A friend dragged me along there one day and I got some little rice bowl type thing, thinking it'd be lower calorie than a full meal, looked it up, was like 1,000cal. I don't even know how they squeeze all those calories in.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It has to be flour for me. Once upon, I breaded EVERYTHING. Those days are gone now that I figured out how much that added.
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    nrbutton wrote: »
    My homemade beef Enchiladas (with flour Tortillas cause I prefer the taste). 1 enchilada is over 700 calories :( so I have to save up all day for just 1 or take a hit later in the week to indulge in 2

Try making a black bean and quinoa enchilada. The ones I made figured out to 265 cal per. You could eat two of these compared to one of yours.
  • facobedina
    facobedina Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    110 ml sesame chocolate has 555,000 calories :'(
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! the ones sell at the cinema, like 1000 calories in a medium-big bag and you don't feel the least full.
  • Ocean_Breezy
    Ocean_Breezy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    All the sugar in raisins.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I was pretty shocked at how LOW the calories of a Wendy's chilli was (250!) as well as shrimp.
  • Francl27
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    I was pretty shocked at how LOW the calories of a Wendy's chilli was (250!) as well as shrimp.

Shrimp and caramels for me. Always thought caramels were as bad as chocolate... definitely not!
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I was shocked by the calories/sugar in my coffee creamer & Milk. I switched to using Muscle Milk Lite Vanilla as my "creamer" and have cut a huge amount of calories/sugar from my diet. So thankful for a friend sharing her strategy!

How many calories and how much Muscle Milk Lite do you use in one cup of coffee? I, too, struggle with coffee creamer! Is it sweet?
  • reannearmacost
    reannearmacost Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pickles say they are 0 calories it's crazy to think you can eat pickles and only have to worry about salt intake.
  • MeganG12345
    MeganG12345 Posts: 66 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Raw oysters. A dozen have around 100 calories total.

Edit: I was surprised by how low they are in calories.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options

Same with cooked frozen shrimp...(the 71-90 count/pound). You can have around 30 of them for 100 calories and 24 grams of protein too:))
  • ksmommy5
    ksmommy5 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    OMG. SLOPPY JOES. Even with 85% lean ground beef (not very lean) and a can of manwich it's a welcome surprise that it's NOT a calorie bomb.

I have a somewhat lower calorie sloppy Joe recipe that's delicious. From scratch ;)
  • Francl27
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »

Same with cooked frozen shrimp...(the 71-90 count/pound). You can have around 30 of them for 100 calories and 24 grams of protein too:))

Definitely not the big ones.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Not a food, per se, but Nyquil has 93 calories per dose. I was shocked. I decided to look it up on a whim because I took some last night for a cold. I logged it. Good thing I had some wiggle room.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Funnel cake, pints of Ben & Jerrys or Hagen Daaz, Chinese food entrees, Little Debbie cakes. Yikes. No wonder I was so big.