What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I eat pecan nuts because they're my favourite nut, but...

691 kcal per 100 gram! More than both walnuts and peanuts. Why :(
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I was really shocked that some of those "breakfast bars" which constantly advertise as "healthy" are jam packed with sugar and some of them have nearly as many calories as chocolate.

Also flavoured water, full of sugar and huge.y calorie intensive for what you're having. You're better off to mix fruit juice with water.

Sausage rolls, I knew had a lot of calories, but just how many shocked me. Some sausage roles have 400 calories in so,thing that barely fills you up.

Sesame bars, same as breakfast bars

And much to my greatest disappointment because I like a couple of latte's a day, is latte instead of a coffee like an Americano. Huge in calories. Over 100 calories per mug.

But I have been pleased but shocked at how few calories there are in a doughnut. They still calorie filled of course, how could they not be. But 280 round about. I thought they'd be at least 350 with all that sugar.

Krispy Kreme glazed donuts are only 190 calories! Of course they're small, and try keeping me to only one, but still, not bad for a delish donut!
  • kal900
    kal900 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    nuts and seeds.. love them but rarely eat them now, maybe 25g after a workout... eat alot of fruit though and some of that is fairly high. Glad to see bread etc is high, coz its a deterent for me.. love it, but it hates me... no flour, no sugar ;) and alot less nuts ;/
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I wasn't surprised at calories as long as the flavor was worth it. But I was surprised at how much SALT I was eating. Thanks for educating me, MFP.
  • Jazzberry91
    Jazzberry91 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    carly_am wrote: »
    Weirdly flour! I used to think my homemade pizzas were really good cause they were, well, homemade! Then I logged it on mfp and found the base alone to be nearly 400 cals. Then add topping. I used to have two!!

WOW!! My family stopped making crust, or buying crust, for our homemade pizzas when I was in middle school (Mom was doing Atkins) Even know I do not use any crust and this makes me even more sure I won't start.
  • gemlettuce93
    gemlettuce93 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There's a little chocolate bar I buy from lidl, comes in packs of 6 called Peanut and Choco, there is a whopping 260 calories in that tiny little bar :(
  • MrsWQLittle
    MrsWQLittle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    One Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Miniature is 49 calories!
  • chemicaltrash
    chemicaltrash Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was really shocked at the amount of carbs in rice. Jeez...
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Marinade! I did some simple marinade yesterday for my fish it was bit of oil, honey, soy sauce and lemon juice. It came out as 100 kcal per portion. It wasn't even tasty :(
  • missxlela
    missxlela Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Orzo or tortellini. YIKES 200 in 1/4 cup
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    THESE evil little things. 480 calories a pop. Santa Maria! :s They're not even *that* good, for crying out loud, where the crap are all those cals coming from??

hostess_apple_012309_colleenkane.jpg

On the flip side of the coin, strawberries are very surprisingly low in calories. Always a good dessert option.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    YES, the Hostess fruit pies!

Also Totino's pizzas (the small cheap ones). Dang, how do they get so many calories into them compared to "normal" frozen pizzas?
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Plain oats-150 calories for 1/2 cup raw oats
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Plain oats-150 calories for 1/2 cup raw oats

I know...doesn't that suck!
  • rslapine
    rslapine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    MissLuana wrote: »
    Indian fry bread...700+ cals in one and that's with no taco toppings!!!

That one always makes me so sad during pow wow season, when all I want is an Ndn Taco!! I eat it, but I know it's a whole day's calories. Or stew with frybread, when you have 2 pieces! :(
  • k_e_l
    k_e_l Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    salad dressing! unless its "lite", you don't get a lot for the amount of calories it adds
  • caraboo751
    caraboo751 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Magic shell ice cream topping. 210 Cal. For 2 tablespoons. I can go without no problem, but my husband loves it.
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Macadamia nuts!!!