What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    2 pieces of cheeseburger pizza. I was astounded to find out they are 450 calories a piece! 900 calories is more than half my calories for the day and I was hungry 2 hours later. Never again.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Quinoa or well by serving size. A serving is 1/4 cup dry I measured as cooking today wow I have been eating a few servings and thinking it was only 1.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    Plain oats-150 calories for 1/2 cup raw oats

I know...doesn't that suck!

What do you mean, "suck"? Add a handful of berries and/or a tablespoon of brown sugar and you have a fairly big breakfast that stays with you for hours, for around just 200 calories. Where's the rip-off there? That's what I call a win!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,338 Member
    Options
    sunflower seeds (& all nuts) I would munch on them at work all day. also flour
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Not recently but the first time I learned the calories in a Costco poutine (that I used to have as a between meal snack lol) I almost choked; 1350ish wow
  • NavajoGirl85
    NavajoGirl85 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    Definitely peanut butter!

This, and it makes me so sad, because peanut butter is delicious and healthy. But I can only allow myself a little each day or I'll ruin my calorie goals :(

This! A coworker of mine always eats peanut butter for lunch. She doesn't count her calories but wants to know why she isn't losing any weight. I told her it might have something to do with her eating 2 cups of peanut butter a day just in one meal.
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    Croutons. Now I know croutons are not healthy in any manner but occasionally I'll indulge and add them to a salad. I had never weighed them until recently. I tared my scale after adding all other ingredients, put on what I thought would be 2 servings, looked down and it was 11 servings worth.
    1 serving of croutons = 7g
    1 crouton = 7g
    1 serving of croutons = 1 freakin crouton!

This made me giggle pretty good! But seriously, 1 freaking crouton!?!! Hahaha!!
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    French fries! I ordered from my favorite deli for the first time in months and I weighed the fries: 306 grams = 798 calories!!!! And that is a "side" order.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    That mineola I had last night at 83 calories. Thanks a bunch.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    lol'ing at the bitterness here, because i share it.

chicken wings shocked me. not the restaurant style, just the plain old, regular old, made-of-100-percent-chicken things that you buy from the grocery store and bake in an oven. i'd been thinking it's chicken, so yknow.

maybe i could have choked down the 100-calorie-per-wing part, but not when i read the protein payback for those 100 cals. it was laughably low, so i put them back where i'd picked them up from.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Nuts, wonderful yummy, easy-to-eat-the-whole-bag.. Nuts
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    Restaurant food. Stuff I can make at home is easily 3x as many cals at a restaurant. How do you make a 1k omelet? Seriously?!?
  • Cuddlebearjay
    Cuddlebearjay Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Went to B&N last night for dessert. The tiny sliver of Cheesecake Factory's red velvet cheesecake looked decent, so I looked up the calories before ordering. So thankful I did because it was a whopping range of 1,200-1,500 calories!!
  • Carbkiller1970
    Carbkiller1970 Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Blooming onion for Outback Steakhouse over 1,000 if I remember
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Restaurant food. Stuff I can make at home is easily 3x as many cals at a restaurant. How do you make a 1k omelet? Seriously?!?

Butter. Also, depending on where you go, some restaurants put pancake batter in the eggs.

What the feck?
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Demenseotf wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Whats the serving?

15g for the mayo.

You do realize that is not even a teaspoon right?

15g is a tablespoon

• andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    publix chicken tenders :'(
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Butter. Also, depending on where you go, some restaurants put pancake batter in the eggs.

Looking at the calories in butter made me sad
  • Carbkiller1970
    Carbkiller1970 Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories anymore thank god it's all too shocking if it's not lettuce