Presentation on hot topic To Spank or Not To Spank

Options

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I was disciplined with spanking as a child. I feel that I am well rounded and was not emotionally scarred nor have any ill effects from it. I will say that I am kind and considerate and respectful to people, something that many children these days are not because they have not been taught consequences for actions.

I do not have children of my own but have observed that people that spank have children with better manners. It has been my experience that people that think talking it out works have very ill mannered and manipulative kids. It seems to me that they get in front of people and think they are awesome with their little speech they give their child on their behavior, therefor making it more about them than the long term effects of a childs behavior. I have also observed that people that do not spank their are delusional about how well their children behave. Now in saying this, keep in mind this is my experience and I have not met every parent in the world.

I also can say that I have known dozens of people that promised they would never spank that ended up doing it when the childs behavior was horrid and nothing else was working and it ended up working

I do not see where race plays any part in your question as all children are human children and skin color should not dictate anything what so ever when rearing a child.

As far as the other topic is concerned, I am eating well, getting sleep and training hard in hopes that one day I will be able to experience Christian Greys red room of pain. :happy:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    We live in a time where everyone is too afraid to hurt someone's feelings. That is evident in this thread from all the liberals speaking out against spanking a child. Children need to be spanked, they just don't need to be beat.

Ah, yes, it must be easy to live in such a "black or white" world.
  • Lovett123
    Lovett123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between smacking and hitting a child. It's all too easy to manipulate language to persuade people of your opinion. Smacking is for discipline and more for the shock factor than pain. Hitting is abuse. Let's call a spade a spade.

In my experience, I was smacked as a child and it did me no harm. I turned out perfectly fine and if i'm honest I have always behaved better and had more manners etc than all my friends who were not smacked. They were the bratty ones who would scream at their parents and threaten to call childline every 2 minutes.

Of course it's each to their own and everyone is different, If you don't smack your children they may not turn out to be bratty, if you do smack them they may be bratty. It's down to your own personal experiences but that doesn't mean that what someone else does is wrong.
  • Sambytheway82
    Options
    I'm disappointed, I was expecting something entirely different.

This times x1000.

This x
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I spank when necessary. I was spanked and turned out just fine : )
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    There was only one instance when I got spanked. I said something really nasty to my mom, got sent to my room, spanked with a belt by my dad, then told to apologize to my mom for what I said. But I do remember them both telling me they loved afterwards (after I sat in my room for a bit). My parents never had to spank me again after that. I turned out to be a perfectly fine, contributing member of society (at least i hope ;P)

I honestly don't think I can say what is right or wrong with parenting styles because each family's situation is unique. I think it's best to have a mutual agreement on what kind of consenquences are appropriate for different behavior. I have no idea if I will even have kids so not sure on what kind of punishment I would give. Respect to all you parents out there though!
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    We've had this thread before, and if past is any indicator of future behavior things in here are going to get so ugly we're all gonna need a good spanking.

Now you're just teasing me......
  • softballerchik1
    softballerchik1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I work with DFCS and we feel that spanking is a legit form of discipline for children. Open handed spanking on the butt would be the appropriate way to spank as the definition of spanking in dfcs terms is opend hand spanking on the buttocks where no marks, bruises, wheps, or any signs of abuse are left. Other factors to consider are the age, which I believe a teenager is too old to be receiving a spanking. Especially, a teenage daughter by a father or a teenage son by a mother. Learning impairments, illnesses, mental issues, and other factors also play an important roll in whether a child should be spanked or not. I do not believe in spanking with anything other than a hand though.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I spank when necessary. I was spanked and turned out just fine : )

I was spanked as a kid, but I enjoy it much more now! :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, i am all for a good SPANKING,,,,, kids are little ****heads these days.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I love a good spanking!

LOL I know right...maybe my parents brought out the 'freak' in me. muhaha
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Most people who don't spank their kids CAN'T keep them under control. That's the problem. A parent might very well think he/she is controlling their kids by putting them in timeout, but that's rarely the case. All parents think their kids are well-behaved, and the ones who acknowledge that their kids are brats will say dumb things like "Boys will be boys" or "That's just what kids do" to absolve themselves of any responsibility. That's bull****. Some properly applied "education" will render those excuses unnecessary.

Sorry. This is just wrong, sort of. The message on accountability is correct, but the punishment does not need to involve hitting. It is simply about consistency and accountability. You do not have to hit a child to discipline them. You need to be consistent. When you punish your child, carry it through, make sure they understand the behavior and the resulting punishment.

Also, as much as anyone is allowed their opinion, until you have parented a child, it is truly difficult to understand what goes into it. There are just times when a child is going to be moody, cry, and not respond to reasoning.....just like most adults.
  • Deanna149
    Deanna149 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i was spanked as a child and helped me learn right from wrong. and learned compassion for others as i am well aware that some of my actions do cause others pain and can relate. i have been around children and adults who werent, and not all, but for the most part there is a difference. i beleive it varies from child to child, everybody learns differently, and toddlers/children are no different. i have no problem slapping a little ones hand when they try to taouch the stove or something that will hurt them before they are able to talk or understand long sentences of explanation, this helps them relate that item to something that will hurt them. uncontrolled spanking no i dont agree there is a difference between abuse and discipline. i happen to live in a area with many races and cultures, and i do see a difference in the degree of discipline to children in public. it seem minoroties are more open and unafraid to correct their child in public. i don't think either way is wrong, just depends on the child, some kids turn out good who were never spanked and some that were, really depends on the parents and how the child learns and on other aspects of parenting also. hope this helps you out a little.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    There is no research that I am aware of, good scientific peer reviewed research, not puff pieces, that suggest spanking is good. I think this was done in like the 70's and has been proven over and over and over again wight the same conclusions. So, it's not really a matter of opinion, more of one of ignorance. Many people ignore the research and spout their opinions. Which, really are meaningless.

I have to agree. I am an avid researcher and have yet to find ANY peer reviewed long term studies in favor of spanking, only against it and for multiple reasons. To me, that speaks volumes. I looked into it because I was curious though. We have never had a behavioral episode escalate to the point where we felt the need to hit our daughter, so the debate has never come up in our house. I am not overly concerned with what other people choose to do with thier kids either, as long as no laws are being broken and as of right now it is still legal to hit your kids (here anyway).
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I don't have children but I do have an opinion, take it for what it's worth.

I think most people can't separate the difference between a spanking and a beating, and therein lies the problem with spanking.
  • bolesbe
    bolesbe Posts: 212
    Options
    Good parenting takes a backbone and sometimes doing what it takes to train a child in the way try should go. It is easy to draw a line between spanking and abuse. A good spanking has help more kids than hurt. I agree some idiot adults can't control themselves but that doesn't mean spanking is bad it means those adults are bad. I would much rather spank my child than allow them to get hurt or grow up with a wrong idea on life (that they don't have to obey authorities). And yes I was spanked and I spanked my kids.
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options
    I was spanked.......

last weekend.

Yes, I remember. Next time it'll be the belt, young lady. :)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Wow! I can't believe it...I thought this was on something else too.

I'm such a perv.
    Sorry.

I spanked my children when they were young so no one else would ever have to discipline my children. I would rather me administer correction out of love than someone else from a cold cruel world.

I never had to spank them past the age of 10, and my children are very well behaved and very well adjusted. They are now 17, 16 and 9, and it's rare I have to get on any of them.
    Are they perfect? Nope, but neither am I.

Train up a child in the way he should go and he will not depart from it.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Most people who don't spank their kids CAN'T keep them under control. That's the problem. A parent might very well think he/she is controlling their kids by putting them in timeout, but that's rarely the case. All parents think their kids are well-behaved, and the ones who acknowledge that their kids are brats will say dumb things like "Boys will be boys" or "That's just what kids do" to absolve themselves of any responsibility. That's bull****. Some properly applied "education" will render those excuses unnecessary.

Sorry. This is just wrong, sort of. The message on accountability is correct, but the punishment does not need to involve hitting. It is simply about consistency and accountability. You do not have to hit a child to discipline them. You need to be consistent. When you punish your child, carry it through, make sure they understand the behavior and the resulting punishment.

Also, as much as anyone is allowed their opinion, until you have parented a child, it is truly difficult to understand what goes into it. There are just times when a child is going to be moody, cry, and not respond to reasoning.....just like most adults.

Truth.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    The disappointment I felt upon discovering what this topic was actually about cannot be put into words... :-|