the dangers of diet soda

Options

Replies

• aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    95% of the things we eat/do/drink/or even smell are dangerous, if we REALLY cared about it, we wouldnt have a life at all, or we would have a crappy one.
    MODERATION.... I rather have a diet soda once or twice a week, than being a complete ***** just cause im craving one and i cant have it.

Amen and Amen! That's the way I feel about my snack cravings!

me too - I still eat stuff that is supposed to be bad but try to cut back but if I'm miserable what's the point? I've been slowly changing my habits, doing my research the best I can, and changing the BIG things. The rest comes later.. baby steps.

you dont need to cut stuff, you just need to LEARN how to eat and you are done. IMO Ppl that cut stuff completely out of their diet means its cause they dont have self control, they rather do that cause then cant eat/drink just a bit to get rid of the cravings.

lol I think this statement actually proved the opposite point. People that cut stuff out do it BECAUSE they have the self control to do so.....As opposed to someone who refuses to face the cravings and have to have "just a bit to get rid of the cravings"

Thats like saying a crack head that just does crack once a week to get rid of his craving has more self control than a recovering crack head that no longer does crack.....:laugh:

Lol, yup!!!

What they don't realize is that the cravings go away. Its not like we're just itching for the next hit every day of our lives. Eventually (Took me about a week) the cravings go away.

But you better believe by day three I was crying like a baby!! LITERALLY addicted!! Seeing that response my body was having opened my eyes to the fact that I was addicted and that I'm NEVER having it ever again!!

damn hun, good on ya
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If it takes a lab to make it, it takes a lab to digest it...... simply don't drink it......
    Easily the most ignorant statement in this thread.

And the OP reminds me of the time Penn & Teller sent someone to a "save the environment" rally and convinced people there to sign a petition banning DHMO, by only telling them truthful statements about the chemical. That it's fatal to breathe, it's used extensively as an industrial lubricant, a degreaser, it's a major component of nuclear power plants, etc. it was pretty hilarious watching all these supposed environmental activists signing a petition to ban water, because they had no clue what it really was.

Kinda like this thread, most people in this thread complaining about the "dangers" of this stuff, most likely just don't know what the ingredients actually are. Like sucralose, people flip out because it's "chlorinated sugar," and apparently chloride is bad (even though it's an essential nutrient.) Never mind that salt is just "chlorinated sodium." Or that aspartame is just a protein chain, and the two amino acids in the chain are found in every protein source you eat (chicken, eggs, nuts, quinoa, it's in all of them.) And on and on and on.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If it takes a lab to make it, it takes a lab to digest it...... simply don't drink it......
    I think I'll keep my whey protein shakes, thanks. They're made in a lab also.

So is my ibuprofen.
  • kelbax22
    kelbax22 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to drink tons of Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi products until my husband and I decided not to drink drinks with aspartame anymore. We now drink diet sodas that have sucralose. I looked on the can and it doesn't have any of the ingredients listed in the original post.
    So I am wondering if maybe this is a "better" diet soda? Or if there are any diet sodas or drinks that may be better. I do drink water and sometimes tea, but I do like a sugary drink too. :)
  • tigersword
    Options
    Carbonated dihydrogen monoxide is the number one ingredient in all diet sodas, regardless of sweetener.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Easily the most ignorant statement in this thread.

And the OP reminds me of the time Penn & Teller sent someone to a "save the environment" rally and convinced people there to sign a petition banning DHMO, by only telling them truthful statements about the chemical. That it's fatal to breathe, it's used extensively as an industrial lubricant, a degreaser, it's a major component of nuclear power plants, etc. it was pretty hilarious watching all these supposed environmental activists signing a petition to ban water, because they had no clue what it really was.

Kinda like this thread, most people in this thread complaining about the "dangers" of this stuff, most likely just don't know what the ingredients actually are. Like sucralose, people flip out because it's "chlorinated sugar," and apparently chloride is bad (even though it's an essential nutrient.) Never mind that salt is just "chlorinated sodium." Or that aspartame is just a protein chain, and the two amino acids in the chain are found in every protein source you eat (chicken, eggs, nuts, quinoa, it's in all of them.) And on and on and on.

I don't think its ignorant at all. You're right, people are scared of the unknown. When you go back to eating as naturally as possible (ie- not originating "in a lab") you don't have to worry about wondering what all these chemicals are and what they're doing to your body. You can't just call something ignorant because you don't agree with it. There are MILLIONS of different theories and opinions on what is or is not healthy, ALL with "studies" to back up those theories and opinions. If you disagree with something, disagree, but don't consider it ignorant because it doesn't fall in line with your beliefs.

And good for you for knowing what sucralose and aspartame are....I think the rest of the country probably knows what they are as well. Go back to Google and impress us with some more fun facts.

Keep consuming your aspartame and have some respect for other people's beliefs....Even if you don't agree with them.
  • angelams1019
    Options
    I used to drink tons of Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi products until my husband and I decided not to drink drinks with aspartame anymore. We now drink diet sodas that have sucralose. I looked on the can and it doesn't have any of the ingredients listed in the original post.
    So I am wondering if maybe this is a "better" diet soda? Or if there are any diet sodas or drinks that may be better. I do drink water and sometimes tea, but I do like a sugary drink too. :)

Dihydrogen=2 Hydrogen
    Hydrogen= H
    Monoxide=1 Oxygen
    Oxygen=O
    Options
    Carbonated dihydrogen monoxide is the number one ingredient in all diet sodas, regardless of sweetener.

On mine it says carbonated water.
  • angelams1019
    Options

On mine it says carbonated water.

Hun! Dihydrogen Monoxide IS water....H2O :tongue:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Some don't get the joke.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LyndaMRou
    LyndaMRou Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Though I still indulge in the occasional diet coke (coke light here), I have largely replaced it with water or homemade ice tea without sugar. When on vacation last summer it wasn't as available as usual and so I made a conscious decision to go without. I'm glad I did, I think the artificial sweetener and the quantity I was drinking (up to 2 litres) were skewing my taste buds to want sweeter than is natural and therefore making me want sugary snacks more than I feel like I do now. I am coming around to the ideal that less is more and when reading ingredients I find that I want things that don't have a loooooong list of ingredients, especially the ones with chemically names.

It's easier than I thought and I'm not missing the bite of the soda bubbles as much as I thought I would. It's hot here all the time, so it's not just that it's "winter". Anything that the food "industry" makes for us, with all their research into chemicals that make us want to consume more is, I think, worth looking twice at.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    mmmmhmmmm....*sips another Diet Mnt Dew*....it's ok, my wife, the Phd in Genetics, says this is all bs....moving on.

I'd love to hear what your wife who has a phd in genetics has to say about dihydrogen monoxide

I don't think that very many of the people responding have taken your advice and Googled DHMO. Personally, I've known the dangers of DHMO for years, and I find the DHMO Research Division website fascinating, yet I continue to consume the stuff in large volume. <sigh> ;-)

I drink it neat. I buy it in 19 litre industrial sized cannisters from suppliers. And I put it in most of the food that I cook.

I don't drink it in soda though, because I'd rather drink my dihydrogen monoxide pure and get my (2R,3S,4R,5R)-2,3,4,5,6-pentahydroxyhexanal from viridiplantae. Plus I don't like the taste much. Although if there's no Camellia sinensis foliage or Coffea arabica encased plant embryos available then I'll drink diet pepsi for 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione
    3,7-dihydro-1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione.

I <3 google (although I'm kind of trusting those chemistry names above are correct lol, I'm not a chemist)
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    water is even worse! everyone who has drank water has died! :laugh:

i have consumed water on numerous occasions and im not dead.
  • tigersword
    Options
    water is even worse! everyone who has drank water has died! :laugh:

i have consumed water on numerous occasions and im not dead.
    ...YET
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Diet soda doesnt' count as dihydrogen monoxide. Only dihydrogen monoxide counts, that's why it's called dihydrogen monoxide.
    This. There are plenty of threads (seems like a new one each week) where people argue over whether dhmo "counts" if it has other things dissolved or suspended in it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If it fits on a bumper sticker it must be true.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It is, in fact, actually bad for you.
    Your belief.
    Now prove it, since it never has been. You need to back up your assertions with fact.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    everyone has to pick and choose. i love my diet dew and wont give it up. i would rather continue to drink my diet dew then to eat the drive through "soy" burgers everyone does. anything you eat or do can harm you in some way. the way your lettuce and other fruits and veggies can contain bacteria and such to make you sick. the air we breath is polluted. we all get it.. but that is not enough to get me to stop.
  • Jessiebell527
    Jessiebell527 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    mmmmhmmmm....*sips another Diet Mnt Dew*....it's ok, my wife, the Phd in Genetics, says this is all bs....moving on.

LOL
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Our government wants to control EVERYTHING. But I love my bottled water!
This discussion has been closed.