Biggest argument you get in with friends about diet

Options

Replies

• patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I refuse to talk about my diet or exercise regime to my friends. I just don't want to deal with it. I've had a couple ask me on a one on one level what I've been doing, and we have had constructive conversations that they've told me were helpful to them. But usually if I get asked what I've been doing, I just say "Oh, I've just been running more." The thought of doing actual physical work seems to stop them from even broaching the subject of food. Which is fine with me, I don't really want to talk about it anyway. I'd rather just do it.

+1

I used to tell people about what I do but I just get hammered with "Oh it's really sugar that's the problem" or "Calorie counting, I don't want to starve!" or "But can you keep it up forever?"

You have to keep it up forever, not because it's a 'diet(tm)' but because this is how much I should be eating; I just can't seem to control how much I eat without counting. It's ok, I'm fine with needing to keep track for the rest of my life.

I understand and have come to the same conclusion.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    where do i start?

probably the one i hear the most is "oh, but you exercise!"...yeah, so what! so should you...

and then right after that i get the "you eat such a small lunch, i would be hungry if that was all i ate!" they dont see what i ate for breakfast, morning snack, afternoon snacks, dinner or whatever...

makes me crazy how people judge you for seeing the one meal that you ate with them...

i get the i dont have time crap all the time...i just say if you have time for Facebook and all those games on your cell phone you have plenty of time to get in some exercise and plan out some meals...

ive given up babysitting people into losing weight. i will sit down with someone twice and go grocery shopping with them just once...the rest is up to them!
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    We do a yearly biggest loser at work...and I get sick of hearing "its only a pound"...guess what I lost almost 60 pound a pound at a time....weight loss is a long term investment...not a short tern fix!!

^^This. Some people just want to lose weight fast, not permanently. We had a Biggest Loser contest at work a while back and the woman who "won" lost 30 lbs or 40 lbs in a relatively short period of time. Flash forward to now and she's gained back all of that weight and then some. Meanwhile, she is constantly commenting on my weight loss, often negatively, without having any clue about what I am doing. Last week she had started back with her Biggest Loser ways of rapid weight loss through extreme restriction, deprivation, complaining about what she can and can not eat. She proudly told me about the 4 lbs she had lost in as many days and I just said "Good for you" and moved on.
  • Neechi43
    Options

Two weeks later, I got called into her office to review the bloodwork. Everything came back stellar except for the cholesterol numbers. LDL 4.4 mol, HDL1.8 mol, total cholesterol 6.2 mol. Yes, LDL was high - but this was a remarkable improvement over my numbers from 2 years ago - LDL 3.8 mol, HDL 0.8 mol - total chol 4.6 mol. Needless to say - she didn't see it the same way I did and threatened to put me on Statins if I didn't change my diet.
    "You can write a script for them 'til your arm goes numb. There is no f
    way in hell I will take them." We argued for about 10 minutes - I'll spare you the details other than to say that I really question a lot of the "bro-science research" that has gone on around cholesterol and high fat diets.

I'm not sure whether it's the way you worded your post, but you start off with saying the results were "LDL 4.4 mol, HDL1.8 mol, total cholesterol 6.2 mol." Then you said this was improvement over two years ago, but the results you posted then(presumably from two years ago, for comparison?) are not the worse results - they are better - LDL is bad cholesterol and HDL is good cholesterol, so if your LDL was lower 2 years ago than now, it's worse now, not better. The ration of HDL to LDL is better, but the overall LDL category is high:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol-levels/CL00001

Ideally, you want to keep your HDL where it is while bringing your LDL down to 3.3 or below and your total cholesterol below 5.2.
    I keep reading Paleo articles and anti-Paleo articles. Since you call your Dr.'s opinions "bro-science" I think you and I have read some of the same pro-Paleo stuff - in case you haven't read enough of the other side: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/jun/paleo2.htm

Suffice it to say, there is a lot of debate about what numbers have a direct causal link to CHD when it comes to cholesterol. As I stated - everything came back stellar other than LDL levels This included C-Reactive, Lp(a) and triglycerides all showing significant improvements over levels measured two years ago - to the point where they are all well within optimal ranges. At the end of the day, there is as much evidence to suggest a ratio total cholesterol to HDL ratio of 3.4:1 is a desirable number compared to 5.75:1 regardless of LDL or total cholesterol numbers as there is to suggest that LDL of 4.4 puts a person in a higher risk category. For a real quick primer on HDL levels and the efficiency of predicting Coronary events:

http://www.drsears.com/tabId/399/itemId/9432/HDL-cholesterol-level-predicts-heart-events.aspx

And, as an aside, I've been using the phrase "bro-science: to describe the typical gym rat's faulty conclusions of science since the 90's ... Long before the Paleo crowd started bandying it around. You could call my diet "paleo-centric" if you wish, but I am convinced that there is as much "bro-science" on that side of the fence as anywhere else. My opinion is to self-experiment and find what makes you feel energized, healthy and still produces results. For me, that has meant limiting grains and legumes, but YMMV.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    That commercial stating that high fructose corn syrup is same as any other sugar makes my blood boil. It is an outright lie. Glucose is metabolized far different than fructose, and also dextrose, sucrose, lactose, and combinations thereof.
    That your body doesn't know the difference between high fructose corn syrup and any other sugar.
    That it makes no difference what time of day you eat food.
    That 100 calories is 100 calories, regardless of whether it comes from bread or fat or sugar.
    That detoxing is bull.
    Losing weight is 10% exercise and 90% diet (just the reverse of what they show on The Biggest Loser).
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    well lets see...

I low carb..... gasp...that's bad for your heart.... but being 200 lbs overweight isn't????? no point in trying to show them studies that show low carbing properly leads to healthier heart levels....... sighs....

I drink diet coke.... GASP????? that stuff makes you gain weight... it's full of cancer causing agents.... it's just EVILLLLLLLLLLL:mad:

I don't work out...... what??????????? I'm basically lazy by nature.... so I keep moving all day instead of having to sweat and feel exhausted for part of it.......

DANCE SO YOU CAN FLY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the diet coke thing kills me every time. there is no scientific proof that the actual ingredients in diet soda CAUSE weight gain. cancer is a naturally occurring mutation - nothing specifically CAUSES cancer, things just contribute to cancers mutations. my father has been drinking diet coke since 1988 and has not gained weight because of it, has not developed diet coke-caused cancer, and has not turned evil (yet lol).

i stopped drinking diet coke for three weeks and didn't lose any weight. so obviously, the diet coke wasn't what was making me fat :)

I completely agree, diet soda doesn't make you fat. For me, I don't drink diet soda very much (except for the one or two around my TOM) because I've noticed the artificial sugar makes me crave other sugars. I think my brain knows the difference and wants the sweet taste from real sugar lol. It wasn't just diet sodas doing it though, it was other things with artificial sweeteners, like yogurts and crystal light. Now, I will have the occasional soda, switched to greek yogurt with fruit and drink tea instead.

a lot of people - and some research has supported this - crave more sweet things when eating artificial sweeteners. i think it's just different for everyone. i eat far less sweets than i used to now that i drink diet coke. when i was working for ww (and got to join for free lol) i realized i was drinking over 2000 calories a day in coca cola!!! i decided to swap some out for juice, but then realized that calorie and sugar wise, that was just as bad. that's when i started drinking diet coke and really watching what i ate. i just had never realized how much i was drinking and how many calories were in my 'normal' portion sizes. since i've switched to diet and become more cognizant of what i put in my mouth (giggity), i crave sweets far less. every once in a while i get a killer craving for chocolate, but i handle it in moderation.
  • hulahooper17
    Options
    I'm 17, and I usually don't say I'm counting calories because I get lectured for being one of those eating disorder girls. Actually, I don't think I'm hurting myself by eating 1800 calories a day and exercising. Then people will say, "oh you're a teenager, you're metabolism is great and you're growing!" Yes, but that doesn't mean I can gorge whenever. They don't get i'm trying to learn good habits for when I'm adult and I don't have the safety of metabolism.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    By far the biggest argument I get into with friends is how the vast majority of people fool themselves about how much they actually eat (total calories). I often hear- "I don't eat that much. I only eat one meal a day, blah, blah, blah." I can't help myself. I take the bait and ask, ok, tell me exactly what you ate today. I then explain that the one dinner meal at Cheesecake factory was over 2000 calories they give me a no way. I then tell them to log their calories for a few days to get some real feedback. I usually get a "I am not into fad diets," "calorie counting does not work in the long run," blah, blah, blah. I then tell them I am accustomed to dieting since I was a wrestler in grade and tried most everything (except steroids- although they are mighty tempting). When I am not calorie counting, my mind plays tricks with me and I think I am eating less calories than I am. Thus, by far the best lifelong method is to go back to calorie counting (carbs, fat, protein) when things are not going in the direction I want- i.e. fat percentage, strength increases, energy, sugar level, whatever. We need feedback. Anyone else deal with this from friends?

Fortunately I only argue on the Internet, but for what it's worth I absolutely agree with your position on this.
  • Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    "What's going on with your diet? You're in Subway all the time." Really? You think that means I'm not dieting? Strange how I'm still losing weight then, I suppose.

And "My diet is amazing. It's better than yours." So how come you had 'two weeks off' over Christmas and gained 3.5lbs when I stuck to it (for the most part) and lost weight?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    The usual ones which people "think" they know:

"You can't have fast food on a diet"
    "You can't eat past 7pm"
    "You can't eat high carbs"
    "You can't eat greasy food"

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PrimalSiren
    Options
    I eat a primal/paleo diet and when I explain what that is to people they usually tell me my cholesterol must be horrible. Then I explain that my numbers actually improved and so have my hypothyroid symptoms. It's about that time that they're eyes glaze over and they mentally fall asleep. I don't normally count calories and am told that the only way to lose weight is to eat way low calorie, then I have to explain that I lost 40 lbs not counting calories and the few days I did count I was eating well over 1600 a day. Then I'm usually told I'm probably not counting right. And people can't fathom the idea of not eating bread and think I must be going crazy. I usually laugh and say I'd rather have a steak and veggies smothered in butter than some stale bread. Then the conversation starts over and we're back at cholesterol.

My most favorite is the look I get when I complain that I only got 50% of my calories from fat, rather than the 65% I usually aim for.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I dont get into arguments about it but it does annoy me that some people think watching what I eat is a really weird thing to do. Usually they have a pot belly so I dont care for their opinion about it anyway.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I don't get in to arguments with people about 'diets' as I don't see MFP as a diet; it's more of a 'lifestyle change' IMHO!

I do get called 'The Calorie Police' though, as I do tell people how many calories the food they're eating contains :laugh:
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't bother discussing the subject unless I know that the person is actually interested in hearing what I say, which becomes obvious quite fast when we talk.

Once I tried - very carefully - suggesting to a quite obese friend that she could try counting calories and she got angry and replied "I don't believe in calories and counting, I've done it before and it doesn't work with me. I work out! I need to accept my body and my body issues and it will go the right way when I'm ready!!!" And, she didn't want ME to tell her what to do, what did I think I knew that she didn't? She knew best what to do about her own body, thank you very much...

Yes, well, and then? That was three years ago, and she's only gained since. I do care about her but not enough to get a bucket of dirt thrown in my face just for trying to help...
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate it when I hear or I can't eat that much, as people begin a diet or WW or try to start a lifestyle change. I so want to tell the well you must be eating lots more to maintain that weight of yours, I know I was.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My family has gotten into the habit of informing me that I'm eating something that's "bad". They say "you've been eating so well and you're going to ruin it again!".... Thank you for your concern, but I specifically have enough room for this food because I really wanted it. I can eat whatever the hell I want as long as it fits.

And my friends who HAVE mfp and don't use it, choosing to instead go on fad diets because "a girl at work lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks!"

Another friend has decided she is too lazy to go the gym, doesn't want to eat better, but thinks running once or twice a week will help her lose her gut... Yeah no...

I try to not argue anymore. They don't really want to listen to me talk about calories in/calories out and exercising for fitness rather than losing weight.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    "Oh, you must have a fast metabolism! Lucky you!"

No, I just count every DAMN calorie I put in my mouth, say no to cakes donuts and cookies, and go to bed a little hungry every night.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I don't bother discussing the subject unless I know that the person is actually interested in hearing what I say, which becomes obvious quite fast when we talk.

Once I tried - very carefully - suggesting to a quite obese friend that she could try counting calories and she got angry and replied "I don't believe in calories and counting, I've done it before and it doesn't work with me. I work out! I need to accept my body and my body issues and it will go the right way when I'm ready!!!" And, she didn't want ME to tell her what to do, what did I think I knew that she didn't? She knew best what to do about her own body, thank you very much...

Yes, well, and then? That was three years ago, and she's only gained since. I do care about her but not enough to get a bucket of dirt thrown in my face just for trying to help...

Oh my, you should NEVER try to give diet advice when it hasn't been requested. Your friend was right to be offended.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    The biggest argument I have with friends and family about diet is ALL of it.

Recently diagnosed (at 44) with T2D and have done Ketogenic diet to get my blood sugar under control.
    I'd lost 25#'s in the first 2 months of changing over to keto and cutting out the things that spike my sugar. This includes fruit and apparently, that's a sin :laugh: complete with all the blasphemy you can stand :devil:

Also, the return to butter, bacon, heavy cream and the diet of my thin self during my teenage years has folks up in arms too :blushing:

Go ahead and get diagnosed with diabetes and you'll soon find that *everyone* suddenly becomes the diabetes food police :sick:

I want a tshirt that says 'yes, I can eat this and no, I won't die' :laugh:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who are on special aka fad diets and whine that MFP does not work because they were losing weight on said diet and also logging MFP and MFP told them they would gain 2 lb when they actually lost 4 lb...blah blah blah. They say "MFP does not work!" and meanwhile I've lost almost 40 lb using it? hehe

Mostly I roll my eyes at my friends and they roll their eyes at me. I eat a moderate pescetarian diet with "treats" like chocolate and ice cream a few times a week, lots of eggs, and some form of bread or pasta 4-5 times a week. I eat a couple servings of vegetables for breakfast, lunch AND dinner most days. I track my protein, sodium, and sugar most carefully.

Most of my friends are strictly Paleo eaters and everything is chicken, bacon, chicken, bacon - cooked in or with coconut oil. No bread ever. Carbs are evil. No gluten. So we don't really see eye to eye!