Biggest argument you get in with friends about diet

Options
167891012»

Replies

• hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The biggest argument (if you want to call it that) is "I thought you were dieting, you can't have that." I try to tell them, if you tell yourself you can't have something, you are going to have it or die, and probably over indulge with it at that. I know I can have everything in moderation, as long as I plan for it. I never feel deprived, I just make better choices.

^^^^^ THIS times a million!!!

I've explained to people that this has been a lifestyle change for my since January. I am not dieting. I can and will eat X if I want to. They don't understand the sacrifices I make in other parts of my day to enjoy the hell out of whatever "non-diet" food I happen to be eating at the exact moment they see me.

Something else I get a lot of is "you're losing weight but you don't eat fruit? You have to eat fruit!"

Um, no. I don't like it all that much and I do try to monitor my overall sugar intake. I'd rather spend my calories on something else. Sheesh.
  • AndrasLOHF
    AndrasLOHF Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Telling them to stop eating any and all grains and sugars as part of their daily diet and to sub it out with produce and healthy fat.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Plus being HEALTHY requires clean eating.
    No it doesn't.

At some point, yes it does. Young people can get away with a lot abuse of their bodies. But once a person hits their late 20's if they don't clean up their diet, they will be facing lifestyle problems like hypertension and high cholesterol. Which is more expensive, eating crap in your 20's and 30's and taking drugs from your 40's on or just eating healthy the whole time?

I know thin/fit athletes that have to take statins and high blood pressure medications in their 40's due to dietary abuse in their 20's and 30's. It's kind of like gravity, a poor diet effects all people and the results are predictable.

I'm 35 and over the past 12 months I -

> lowered my cholesterol from 200 to the low 100's
    > reduced my blood pressure from borderline hypertension to 'perfect' (my doctor's words)
    > lowered my resting heart-rate from 75 to 60

How did I do it? I lost 60 pounds, and I worked out. I did not eat clean.

There is only one thing that is indispensable to your health - self discipline.
  • Cherylpie77
    Cherylpie77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh yes - all the time. Quite a few women in my office are on Weightwatchers, and to be fair, they have lost weight. But they are eating a lot of expensive crap - snack bars full of fillers, crisps that taste of cardboard. Mini tins of soup with sweeteners in it. I try to explain they could do the same just by calorie counting - you don't have to buy special snacks, and you learn proper portion control, rather than abstract points, but they just don't believe me.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I don't get into arguments. My success if obvious; if people have questions, they ask and I answer. If people don't ask, then I keep my mouth shut.
    I never got so big that it didn't hide under my clothes, so people just assume I'm "naturally skinny" because they're oblivious to the fact that while they sit on the couch watching 40 hours a week of TV and shoveling chips down their throat and complaining that they have a 'slow metabolism," I go do fun things that burn lots of calories.

There is a bumper sticker on my car that says "Will Run For Beer" and my cube is plastered with pictures of my daughter and me running (or after runs). If asked I say this why I am in shape and this is how I got in shape. If further pressed I tell them I maintained a calorie deficit but with my running, portion control and planning, I don't have to deprive myself of anything other than second/third helpings...

If someone asks me "you don't take anything" I'll say "Yes, on occasion I take Advil if I overdo my exercise, but that's it"
  • gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The biggest argument (if you want to call it that) is "I thought you were dieting, you can't have that." I try to tell them, if you tell yourself you can't have something, you are going to have it or die, and probably over indulge with it at that. I know I can have everything in moderation, as long as I plan for it. I never feel deprived, I just make better choices.

Ugh this drives me insane! I have the calories for it...Leave me alone with my ice cream! lol