Biggest argument you get in with friends about diet

Options

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I've given up arguing with people about my diet. My colleagues are all on WW and were utterly horrified when they spotted me drinking a protein "shake" (actually just pure soy protein powder, a teaspoon of cocoa and water, so pretty low fat and low carb). There were a few pops about how I looked like a bodybuilder when I was drinking a shake... but I really don't care. I'm enjoying weight-lifting and I'm never hungry. They're losing weight (for now) so they're happy.
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oh another one - "it's easy for you to lose weight and exercise" ......

ARGH, no it isn't! I wake up at 5 for work and do 12 hour days, do extra project work, still have to try and have a social life and have to monitor every calorie, log and get in a gym session everyday to be "ok". As soon as I don't, I put on weight. Every time. I just drag myself, even when I'm so tired I could sleep standing up!

I can't stand that one either. NO it is not easy. It's called discipline.
    If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!
  • cyrstephaniec
    cyrstephaniec Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My current favorite its "You need to stop losing weight, you're smaller than me now." Excuse me this isn't a competition for who's smaller, I'm finally healthy and if I'm smaller than you and you can't stand that you need to do something about yourself, not tell me to stop!
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    We all have excuses for why we don't eat well, and we are all entitled to days where we need to pig out. But I can't stand hearing people justify their lifestyles with "I can't" or "I just don't have the time."

Yes, you do.

I used to say that too, and then I realized--just like everything else--that [lack of] time is not the root of all evil. Kids, no kids. Hard job, easy job. Underweight, overweight, or average. No need to convince ME why changing your lifestyle and eating habits is or isn't happening.

Oh yes, and this. I get the "Wow you are looking great! I wish I had more time to work out and plan meals like you!"

I work two jobs, go to school and volunteer. If you want something, you will find time to fit it in.
  • ladywendolyn
    ladywendolyn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Biggest argument.. is people ranting against splenda and diet pop... but they drink gallons of regular pop is if iit is a health food.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I can't discuss my 'diet' with friends. I used to be the 'fat one', I'm now the skinny one, and I feel like a few of them are jealous. I just don't get it because while I was fat, I WISHED I was as thin as they were, but I never treated them differently, nor will I now. I guess you find out who your true friends are, because if they are a true friend, they are happy for you!
    I also learned that you NEVER, ever try to talk a friend out of using their expensive, crutch-like, shakes, pills, fads, etc., because they are sure they are working for them. You can only try to get them to eat healthy and do it the right way, but in the end, they have to do it on their own.
    I also can't discuss running with them, because just like I used to say, they say, "Oh my knees are too bad to run", or "I don't have time", or 'I have bone spurs". Well, they know my history so they know it can be done, so I just hush. I just wish I had a friend to run with!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Over red meat, particularly bacon. I have an auto immune disease and bad digestion. I do not eat bacon at all and do eat a wide variety of meatless products. It causes me pain as well as "locks me up".

I have been told countless times I should fry my tofu in bacon grease.
    Been told that their grandpa ate bacon every day and lived to be 93
    Been told that they ate red meat in the bible, so I should too.

And my all time favorite, you are to skinny, eat a cheeseburger why dontcha? Really? It is okay to tell someone they are to skinny but it is bullying when it is suggested that someone is fat?

I am 44 years old and when I meet someone new, am told I look like I am in my 20s and that I look great. It is people my own age or a little older that give me a hard time.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Oh another one - "it's easy for you to lose weight and exercise" ......

ARGH, no it isn't! I wake up at 5 for work and do 12 hour days, do extra project work, still have to try and have a social life and have to monitor every calorie, log and get in a gym session everyday to be "ok". As soon as I don't, I put on weight. Every time. I just drag myself, even when I'm so tired I could sleep standing up!

This ^^^ Coupled with 'But you have discipline' Yes I purchased 'discipline' last time I went shopping and i keep in the cupboard right beside the cookies :grumble:

My 'discipline' is the ongoing meal prep, eliminating as much over-processed food as possible coupled with regular movement. Does it take time and effort? Yup and I'm seeing the results. It ain't magic!
  • lucy529
    lucy529 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Not really an arguement but comment from a family member that always tells me am on a diet and give me a list of things I should and shouldn't eat ( I already now what I want to eat, and it's not a diet it's a lifestyle change) she then procedes to tell me she wants to lose weight to but is going to try the HCG diet, which luckily she decided to not do it so I told her with diet and exercise she could do much better..didn't even let me give her many details before she decided that her huge portions of grease covered foods were better than logging or exercising but I still get the complaints about her weight

Now am not going to lie i am on a program that promotes healthy eating and that does include having shakes, but for me it works i tried other things and nothing seemed to help even loggin and exercising alone didn't do it for me, I have learned alot throught what am doing and yes I can do what am doing for the rest of my life so don't judge me for it, we are all different and what works for one might not work for another

another one is "you wake up at what time to exercise, that's crazy! You should do this instead" i wake up that early because I want to and it makes me feel more productive than being in bed until 11 am or later and then having to rush to get things done (now I will have a day were I lay around usually my rest days or if am really sick other than that am up)

and how about "ooh your still doing that diet" don't know how to even respond to this.

Comming from a "big" (as in overweight) family i learned how to eat better and exercise from people who got results, we have heart disease and high blood pressure and diabetes that run in our family i have two of those things and with my new lifestyle my diabetes is now in remission and blood pressure comming down one would think that would make someone think oooh she might be on to something but no I get the remarks instead.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Or the people that don't understand why they are fat?? I believe there are some here like that too. I can't figure out how to eat enough calories lol. That certainly wasn't what got you into the position of needing to lose a lot of weight. The first step is admitting where your issues are so you can change them. I have a friend like that, she is about 40 lbs or so overweight yet she doesn't want to count her calories and can't understand how she weighs what she does. Denial helps no one on this journey. You can only fix the problems that you admit to having.
  • InfoomaousTete
    InfoomaousTete Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    We do a yearly biggest loser at work...and I get sick of hearing "its only a pound"...guess what I lost almost 60 pound a pound at a time....weight loss is a long term investment...not a short tern fix!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    My dad continuously argues that there are no calories in alcohol! That's why alcoholics are always slim! I wish there were no calories in it, then I might not be here in the first place!

Bizarre. Has he not heard of "beer belly"? Does he think that comes from drinking ginger beer?
  • eemott
    eemott Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My friends always want to go out to eat or order in food for lunch. If I say I can't have anything (or don't want anything) they will say, "Oh you can get a salad!!!" What they don't understand is that the salad from Chilies or Applebees can have just as many calories as a meal, depending on what it comes with.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    My dad continuously argues that there are no calories in alcohol! That's why alcoholics are always slim! I wish there were no calories in it, then I might not be here in the first place!

Bizarre. Has he not heard of "beer belly"? Does he think that comes from drinking ginger beer?

This misconception cracks me up. Alcohol is MADE from sugar. I am an alcoholic, before I started recovery I was 40 pounds heavier and a size 9/10. After I stopped drinking I lost 20 lbs, just from that. It took diet and exercise to get the last 20 off but I am here to tell you that alcohol WILL make you fat.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    me and my sister in law go at it. she is the type that wont eat anything all day and then eat easily 2000 calories some place for dinner. so she will go all day not eating and complain she feels like crap. and then eats the worst foods possible. she wants to lose weight and complains that the scale doesnt move. or she will go up and down between a pound or two. she is always tired and drinks the low carb monsters. and because it has no calories, its ok. she will work out and pretty much only cover these horrible dinners. i never win when i tell her she is not doing this right. but she will always say that i dont eat that much or that often. but she wont see what she is actually eating is still over the calories she should consume a day!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My diet is far from perfect, but it's largely nourishing and good for my body. But I have friends who are convinced you can out-exercise a sh*tty diet. If they do lose weight, it's a case of losing DESPITE their diet, rather than because of it. When I eat healthily in front of some friends, they just don't get it - they think that because I exercise every day, I can eat what I want. Not so. I exercise every day, so what I eat is actually more important than if I didn't.

Some of my friends don't understand why I strength train. They think I want to be Ah-nuld. Not even I, with my sensitivity to testosterone and male pattern baldness, could build up like that! Weights are for boys, apparently...
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    "It's not what you eat, it's how much exercise you do!"

That one sets me off on one every time!
    I know I wouldn't continue to lose weight if I had my old eating habits no matter how much exercise I did!

This one pisses me off, too! I hit my mid-weight goal just by cutting calories and not exercising. Granted, I know I needed to exercise to get the real body I want, but dammit you CAN lost weight just by changing how much you eat!

absolutely can!! Afterall, it's 80% diet and 20% exercise.
  • commandax
    commandax Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The other day, my trainer introduced me to a guy who'd just lost 65 pounds in 6 months through juicing. I think my trainer was half kidding when he said, "You should juice, you could lose weight even faster!" I looked at the guy, who was rail thin and had loose skin hanging on his abdomen, and thought, "I wonder how much lean body mass that cost him?" I wanted to say, "I've lost 40 pounds in 6 months drinking beer and eating cheeseburgers and pizza!" But I thought that might be cruel.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My diet is far from perfect, but it's largely nourishing and good for my body. But I have friends who are convinced you can out-exercise a sh*tty diet. If they do lose weight, it's a case of losing DESPITE their diet, rather than because of it. When I eat healthily in front of some friends, they just don't get it - they think that because I exercise every day, I can eat what I want. Not so. I exercise every day, so what I eat is actually more important than if I didn't.

Some of my friends don't understand why I strength train. They think I want to be Ah-nuld. Not even I, with my sensitivity to testosterone and male pattern baldness, could build up like that! Weights are for boys, apparently...

Tell them that one reason to strength train is bone density.
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This might tick some people off, because they might agree with my friends, but: carbs are bad for you, not just the white bread and refined sugar carbs, but ABSOLUTELY ALL carbs.

I'm not very confrontational, so I would rather back down than to start a big fight over something that's pretty trivial in the long run. But it does tick me off a little because really, not all carbs are created equal. I get that it's smart to limit the amount of white flour and refined sugars in your diet, but some people don't even eat whole grains or fruit! I guess that's fine if it works for them, but carbs are an essential source of energy, and I think those of my friends who won't even look at a carb would be well advised to not paint all carbs with one brush. Just saying.

This is what my husband says. He eats lunch meat and cheese topped with ranch dressing for a snack. I try to tell him that all the sodium, nitrates, cholesterol, etc, will catch up with him one day. Then he won't eat a "no-sugar-added" ice cream bar because it's "too many carbs" -- 25 net carbs. The list of veggies he likes is limited, so he's eating a lot of protein and fat. He's maintaining his weight, but at what price?