Biggest argument you get in with friends about diet

Options

Replies

• patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't argue with anyone about this stuff. I have friends who have successfully lost weight and keep it of and workout everyday, and attribute it to kick starting their metabolism in the morning, and never eating after 7pm. I just keep my mouth shut, or laugh and tell tem I eat dinner at 10pm often and if my metabolism ever stops, I hope someone calls 911.

Same.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I don't get into arguments with friends about diet. I really wish even one of my friends would succeed losing the way I do (counting calories, moderate deficit), but instead my two dearest friends do the Cambridge Diet , lose the weight, regain it, then start again.

Since I'm in the US I had to google the Cambridge Diet. Seriously? They have plans that start at 440 calories?!?!?!
  • JenniferPauly
    Options
    Biggest argument i have is that my brother in law sells Advocare and sends me updates all of the time about inches and pounds lost on the 24 day challenge. Instead, counting my calories, watching what i am eating and making sure i am going to the gym is my solution, rather than a "kick-start" that people use every 2 months when they gain the weight back from that program.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    My sister does slimfast on and off.

She keeps trying to make me do it as well, only I have seen how it affects her.

She does slimfast for a couple of months, feels like crap on it, then quits way before her goal weight and starts eating "normally", gains back the weight, starts slimfast again etcetera, etcetera.

Yeah, slimfast is a great idea. I think I will stick with slow and steady, eating proper food and logging it on MFP.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    "It's not what you eat, it's how much exercise you do!"

That one sets me off on one every time!
    I know I wouldn't continue to lose weight if I had my old eating habits no matter how much exercise I did!

I know for a FACT this one isn't true!! I decided to do MFP because I was workingout ... and doing all different kinds AT LEAST 4-5x's wk (running, tae-bo, jillian michaels, zumba) and putting in as much effort as possible and not really losing!

I started MFP to see what and how much I was eating? 7lbs lost in 2wks...its the FOOD and of course yes, you need to workout for healthy heart, lean muscle, etc but its so much more than that!
  • DazzlnDiva
    Options
    The biggest argument is I don't need to lose weight, you look fine and you're not going to change how you eat you eat too much junk food, or I'm going to see how long this last. It's negative, negative, negative!! I'm so sick of people like that. I stopped discussing what I was eating, doing, or anything. This same person is always complaining about how she can't lose weight no matter what she does, but she does not eat any vegetables or fruit, ever. Well, I must not be eating so poorly because I've loss 48 pounds and 18 since I've been using this forum and logging my calories.

HATERS WILL HATE!!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I always hear "How did you do it"??? When I say a normal diet with fruits, veggies and meat, even cake and cookies but with lots of exercise" Their faces fall. Everyone wants a magic pill. I also tell them fad diets are just band aids. If you cant maintain the diet until your 80 years old, don't do it now. Again, they act like I'm hiding something and cant believe its possible to lose normally.

There are these girls at the gym that was doing the vita-shake pyramid scheme thing and I am losing JUST as much, if not more weight while eating 3 substantial meals a day, snacks and going out to eat. I have lost 8lbs this month so far and only 1 out of the 5 girls have lost 6lbs this month and she is much larger than me. They seem to really confused about me...haha
  • LJS0411
    LJS0411 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah - not only have I heard it from others, I was one that thought it about myself!!!!! DENIAL!!! Journaling - without cheating - sure was an eye-opener and the numbers didn't lie! Wow - if all those nay-sayers would just face reality! A bite here and a bite there a "small" snack - it all adds up big time.
  • LynnieG85
    LynnieG85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    The biggest argument (if you want to call it that) is "I thought you were dieting, you can't have that." I try to tell them, if you tell yourself you can't have something, you are going to have it or die, and probably over indulge with it at that. I know I can have everything in moderation, as long as I plan for it. I never feel deprived, I just make better choices.

I hate this! The other day I was 600 calories under my goal after my dinner (I think I didn't have lunch or something like that), so there was some cake in the fridge which was 400 calories. I thought, it's within my target, and since this is the first time I'm not doing a fad diet or having an "all or nothing" view of dieting, I had it! Of course my Dad (I'm staying here til I start my new job) starts with the "you can't have that, you're meant to be on a diet. You've done so WELL!!"

Yeah, and I still will do well, if I allow myself treats within my allowance. Now feck off and leave me alone! Lol.
  • rustvaar
    rustvaar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Nobody really argues with me now.
    I can't really remember anyone arguing with me when I started but as things progressed and I lost weight there were some arguments about calorie counting; it's not sustainable, it's depressing, you can't eat nice things, etc.

As a guy who has managed his finances meticulously for the past seven years (I've never incurred a credit card charge or entered into my overdraft) I don't find calorie counting a problem - it's very similar to managing your finances in that if you have spend more than you have there's going to a problem, but there's always tomorrow to go out there and earn extra (be it calories or cash).

The main gripe I'm hit with lately occurs when I indulge in a couple of biscuits with my tea (only on gym days when there's plenty calories left over) as the words "You're dieting, you can't have that!" fly across the office. It wouldn't bother me so much if the person uttering the words didn't operate on the mindset that anything chocolate, provided there's a side salad, is an acceptable meal.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    No really an argument but the amount of people I've directed to MFP who've joined up, eaten 800-1100 calories a day for 3 days and then never logged on again because "this diet doesn't work" :mad: :explode:
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I don't argue with anyone about it. If anyone asks me what I did I tell them. When people are telling me about the evils of some specific food or how they are detoxing I just listen with genuine fascination.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't argue with friends about it. If someone asks, I'll tell them what worked for me, but I just don't talk about calories and stuff with them.

I do have some friends who constantly look up and then discuss calories when we go out to eat, or talk how they can't have ketchup on their burger because of carbs, or "I guess this is a cheat day! I'll start over Monday." It annoys me. I don't want to be one of those annoying people. So I keep it to myself.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The biggest argument I get into is when my friends decide they want to 'eat healthy' and all they eat are special K bars, weight watchers crisps etc and think that's healthy. I always say it's full of empty carbs and little nutrition what's wrong with eating real food but they just say 'yeah but it's only got 99 calories in' they just don't understand.

This! I don't know why but it drives me mad.
  • gottalose55
    gottalose55 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You are SO right. I went to Dr. and demanded metabolic bloodwork, as I was working out hard and "thought" I was limiting calories. All bloodwork was fine, so I decided to truly track calories in via MFP, and exercise calories, via HRM, and have found that I was no quite calculating things properly. I realize that also, with my age, it will take longer than it did 10-20 years ago.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have a doting relative who must always get the crack in, "You've lost too much weight. You don't want to be too skinny." She sends plates of brownies home and says "Is that all? You didn't eat much" when I finish large meals upwards of 700 calories!

I'm tired of it.

This is the same lady who fed me giant plates of white spaghetti topped with plain butter when I was a kid, starting off many years of weight gain hell in the first place. I love her but her daughter is morbidly obese and uses insulin before each meal. I am not going to love someone by wrecking their health.
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I agree! I get this all the time! I was clinically obese and people I know were saying "you dont need to lose any more! You will be too skinny". I was literally... for real... clinically obese! I was shortening my life span and putting myself at higher risk for heart problems, diabetes and a ridiculous amount of other ailments related to weight problems. I dont wanna be some anorexic girl, I want to live longer and healthier at a healthy weight (in my case at the top end of normal BMI lol)
  • swt0pie
    swt0pie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i hate it when my friends at work say they're cutting back on sweets and chocolate and then I see them stuffing their face with a croissant ( which is around 210 calories) . they tell me I shouldn't lose weight because i am really thin. or I shouldn't exercise because I'm already so thin. what the hell?! I exercise to be healthy. shouldn't everyone be doing 30 minutes of exercise a day?
  • swt0pie
    swt0pie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The biggest argument I get into is when my friends decide they want to 'eat healthy' and all they eat are special K bars, weight watchers crisps etc and think that's healthy. I always say it's full of empty carbs and little nutrition what's wrong with eating real food but they just say 'yeah but it's only got 99 calories in' they just don't understand.

This! I don't know why but it drives me mad.

my thoughts exactly
  • Jeyed
    Jeyed Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've tired of the, so, what diet are you on? When I respond I don't diet, it's a lifestyle change, I get the 'yeah right' look - you all know it. Then comes the, so what did you have to give up? When I respond nothing, I get the, wth look.
    The argument that really gets me is the 'I don't have the time' one. At which point, I've learned to politely end the conversation. My response always falls on deaf ears anyway and that's where I don't have the time then.