Texas hospital bans obese workers?

Options

Replies

• nataliefallbach
    Options
    IF THIS IS TRUE, I SMELL A LAWSUIT COMING ON! STUPID!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    You know, if that's what they want, they should serve healthy food in their hospital cafeteria, give nurses longer than 30 minutes for lunch, put in a small workout room with exercise machines, and have a lower patient-to-nurse ratio to cut back on stress for their workers. This is particularly important for people who work grave or swing, and even more important if they rotate shifts.

If they don't want obese workers, then they really need to take responsibility for some of the problems they are actively promoting. You can't expect healthy workers if you don't provide a healthy atmosphere.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You know, if that's what they want, they should serve healthy food in their hospital cafeteria, give nurses longer than 30 minutes for lunch, put in a small workout room with exercise machines, and have a lower patient-to-nurse ratio to cut back on stress for their workers. This is particularly important for people who work grave or swing, and even more important if they rotate shifts.

If they don't want obese workers, then they really need to take responsibility for some of the problems they are actively promoting. You can't expect healthy workers if you don't provide a healthy atmosphere.

Amen to that!
  • leketchup
    leketchup Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Nearly there :)
    Over in the UK they're trying to stop benefits for obese people. Oh, the irony. Let's hope banning obese workers doesn't catch on over here.

To US folks, I think this is harsh a little.
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    My personal opinion is that if you're working within a hospital, for whatever inside or outside company, you represent them, so you should also represent what they stand for, health.

It kind of makes me think of working within a bank, if you have horrible credit and have not made any effort to pay/maintain your debts, they screen you, and you will not be offered a job. Why? Because they dont want someone who owes money, cannot represent the banks expectations of their clients and esp. give advice if they havent been able to breathe it in and put it into practice in their own lives.

This is how I see it too, however I think we're going to be in the minority here.

yep, i totally agree. i don't think it's unfair to not want unhealthy people representing a health facility.

WHATEVER!
    HEALTHY BMI DOESN'T = HEALTHY ALL THE TIME. THIS IS DISCRIMINATION & WE SHOULDN'T TOLERATE IT.
    ITS A SLIPPERY SLOPE. WHAT IS NEXT????
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

That's a little much, don't you think? We are all responsible for our own health and well being. I don't expect my employer to provide such things. Sure it would be nice, but when it comes down to it, it is my doing. I worked 7p-7a for 5 years and I know ****ty ratios. We were 4:1 and we took vented patients on Tele. When it came down to it, I knew I had to bring my veggies, get to the gym first thing after work, and be extra cautious on my days off.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options

This!
  • Food4Fuel
    Food4Fuel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not outraged by this, If you can't take care of yourself in this field and it effects your ability to do your job compared to a healthier individual why should you be entitled to the position. The hospital doesn't owe you a position. Not to mention hospirals often gives great medical insurance coverage to their employees, if you don't think company's are not going to start being penalized for offering coverage to people who don't take care of themselves you'd be wrong. Fact is if you have 2 applicants to a position that requires you to be active, one is out if shape and unhealthy the other a healthier individual, in the healthcare industry mind you, which one do you think you should hire. This is just the beginning of the health care industry as well as other industries being proactive against this issue. I'm a student nurse.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    How is this different from refusing to hire people of different races based on an assumption that is nothing more than bigotry?

BMI doesn't measure health, and can be badly skewed when people have a lot of muscle mass. As many people said, it depends on the person. And it depends on the job.

Better that the hospital support people's efforts to be healthy. I have worked for companies that subsidized gym memberships and make sure healthy snacks are in vending machines. Why not go this way instead of discriminating against people? Sometimes I think that the last legitimate prejudice is against fat people. (I'm not saying it IS legitimate, I'm saying people, and now corporations, have no shame about expressing it.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I do feel that we will see more of this as companies try to better afford the insurance on their employees. There are problems though with regard to this policy, not related to a question to true fitness level.

MOST NFL players are really fit.. yet they are technically obese. They have a great deal of muscle mass... therefore, they have a higher than 30 BMI... BMI is a poor and inaccurate measure of fitness. If they are going to do something like this, quite frankly, they need to use body fat percentage as an indicator of fitness. Also, if they are going to do this, they need to be required to offer support for current employess to come within compliance.. this should include both physical and emotional support.

indeed to all
  • Food4Fuel
    Food4Fuel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    A BMI of 35 is high in almost every scenario.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Only applicants with a BMI of <35 are even considered for a job...And this is something that might catch on like only hiring nonsmokers...

Is anyone else outraged about this? They say that worker with a BMI >35 cannot do their job effectively! What a crock of crap. I do my job a hell of a lot better than people with BMIs of <20!

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/04/09/texas-hospital-fat-people-bmi-need-not-apply

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/
    Sweetie I live in TX, Don't know where you got that " out of text" quote. I sure Haven't seen it, Stick to your own state! Do not go picking on something you know nothing about !!!
  • underwater77
    Options
    How is this different from refusing to hire people of different races based on an assumption that is nothing more than bigotry?

Because you can't change your race.
  • JingleMuffin
    Options
    this is probably a big generalization but i know so so many nurses. and this is just nurses that know: 90% of them and smoke 90% are majorly overweight. I don’t understand it. maybe it’s just an Minnesota anomaly? but If you find a nurse here that isn’t over weight and doesn’t smoke it’s kind of a rare thing.
  • underwater77
    Options
    this is probably a big generalization but i know so so many nurses. and this is just nurses that know: 90% of them and smoke 90% are majorly overweight. I don’t understand it. maybe it’s just an Minnesota anomaly? but If you find a nurse here that isn’t over weight and doesn’t smoke it’s kind of a rare thing.

lolz

And you're worried about bigotry and generalizations?
  • fanakar
    fanakar Posts: 23
    Options
    That hospital will be empty and closed in the next two years. They must be going broke.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options

That's a little much, don't you think? We are all responsible for our own health and well being. I don't expect my employer to provide such things. Sure it would be nice, but when it comes down to it, it is my doing. I worked 7p-7a for 5 years and I know ****ty ratios. We were 4:1 and we took vented patients on Tele. When it came down to it, I knew I had to bring my veggies, get to the gym first thing after work, and be extra cautious on my days off.

I think there is enough blame to go around here. I live in Houston - with one of the largest medical centers in the country - and the high quality hospitals do offer many of the benefits that were suggested. It is probably a financial decision for them to do that, so they can save on insurance costs and sick time. To be fair, we all "know we need to bring our veggies....etc." Actually doing it is the problem..if not why are we here?
  • JingleMuffin
    Options

lolz

And you're worried about bigotry and generalizations?

the only thing im worried about is all my friends that are nurses that are unhealthy to the point of irony.
  • underwater77
    Options
    Well that is unfortunate. I work with a number of incredibly healthy, fit, non-smoking, amazing nurses.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I do feel that we will see more of this as companies try to better afford the insurance on their employees. There are problems though with regard to this policy, not related to a question to true fitness level.

MOST NFL players are really fit.. yet they are technically obese. They have a great deal of muscle mass... therefore, they have a higher than 30 BMI... BMI is a poor and inaccurate measure of fitness. If they are going to do something like this, quite frankly, they need to use body fat percentage as an indicator of fitness. Also, if they are going to do this, they need to be required to offer support for current employess to come within compliance.. this should include both physical and emotional support.

Could not have said it better myself.