Texas hospital bans obese workers?

Options

Replies

• sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I doubt it will ever take effect because it is discrimination no matter how you look at it. I do not think weight or smokers are any less of workers BUT i can't say if I went to my doctor and he is obese yet discussing with me the problems of my weight (same goes if he smoked)....I would probably think he was a hypocrite. But that goes for my friends who are over weight yet try to give out exercise or eating advice. It won't ever happen tho. They can't not hire someone because of weight, that is just ridiculous. They are still qualified and good doctors. They will get sued so fast.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that if you're working within a hospital, for whatever inside or outside company, you represent them, so you should also represent what they stand for, health.

It kind of makes me think of working within a bank, if you have horrible credit and have not made any effort to pay/maintain your debts, they screen you, and you will not be offered a job. Why? Because they dont want someone who owes money, cannot represent the banks expectations of their clients and esp. give advice if they havent been able to breathe it in and put it into practice in their own lives.

Unlike with your banking analogy, it's not easy to judge when someone is unhealthy. A higher BMI does not necessarily mean lack of health. How many medical professionals smoke, eat poorly, don't get enough sleep or exercise? I'd think that the majority fall under those issues than don't. Are people who are disabled also disallowed from the profession? Or the aged?

I disagree. Like banking, sometimes there are circumstances that aren't factored in the screening, because it's a blanket screening. Lots of people have credit issues from health issues, job loss, or a brief error in judgement when co-signing a loan. That doesn't mean they are bad employees. It doesn't mean they would ever steal from someone. It doesn't mean they shouldn't/couldn't be a loan officer, bank teller, etc. However, that's the truth of the industry. Is it fair in every case? Most certainly not. However, if you leave room for gray, you have to either let everyone get away with something or no one get away with something. They are choosing the "no one" option.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Options
    Obesity, (or even just being over weight) is not black and white. I really hate the inside-the-box mindset of society today. They should first try to help those who need to shed the weight. It is not just as simple as calories in calories out. There are people who are very overweight or obese who have tried in vain to lose weight. There are so many poisons that we put into our bodies and we have no clue how they have wrecked the normal functions we used to enjoy. I think that if they are going to set these limits, then they need to be wiling to take an active role in the weight loss efforts of the individual who wants the job but is not within the limits. If they can't do that, they are only contributing to the problem.

I can't speak for the hospital in question, but most area hospitals here have access to gyms for free within the building for their employees. They offer healthy snacks and meals in their cafeterias. And they have access to health insurance that far exceeds the norm for our area. They ARE offering to help.... but it's not being utilized.

ETA - Another random truth. Because the medical industry is "booming", our nursing schools here in Minnesota are full and expanding. Employers have the potential for more candidates for each position - they have more choices. This is possibly also a way to cut back on potential candidates and also to take positions held by long time, higher paid employees, and give them to newer, lower paid employees. Just a thought.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

We have a yoga class offered, a gym (at one of our hospitals - not all), a salad bar and plenty of healthy options at the cafeteria, though I still wouldn't dare eat there. Haha.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Options
    Agreed.

We have a yoga class offered, a gym (at one of our hospitals - not all), a salad bar and plenty of healthy options at the cafeteria, though I still wouldn't dare eat there. Haha.

I know the health packages offered at some of them are HUGE... they get really extensive. Personal trainers and the whole works - especially for positions hard to fill. (Like certified nurse midwives in Alaska!)
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You know, if that's what they want, they should serve healthy food in their hospital cafeteria, give nurses longer than 30 minutes for lunch, put in a small workout room with exercise machines, and have a lower patient-to-nurse ratio to cut back on stress for their workers. This is particularly important for people who work grave or swing, and even more important if they rotate shifts.

If they don't want obese workers, then they really need to take responsibility for some of the problems they are actively promoting. You can't expect healthy workers if you don't provide a healthy atmosphere.

^^^^^NAILED IT ON THE HEAD!
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I think this sets the stage for being able to refuse to hire anyone with a health problem.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Obesity, (or even just being over weight) is not black and white. I really hate the inside-the-box mindset of society today. They should first try to help those who need to shed the weight. It is not just as simple as calories in calories out. There are people who are very overweight or obese who have tried in vain to lose weight. There are so many poisons that we put into our bodies and we have no clue how they have wrecked the normal functions we used to enjoy. I think that if they are going to set these limits, then they need to be wiling to take an active role in the weight loss efforts of the individual who wants the job but is not within the limits. If they can't do that, they are only contributing to the problem.

It's not just a matter of helping - it takes a change of mindset to make that decision. I know I struggled for quite some time until I was ready to face the fact that I'd become obese and would need to make major changes to my lifestyle to become healthy. No one really helped me - it was just a moment where it suddenly hit me that I didn't want to be this way for the last part of my life.

As for the poisons, we can thank modern society's creation of instant foods for that one and it's crazy food portions. That's why I'm perfectly fine with our government requiring restaurants to post nutrition on their menus. I suspect people would change their eating habits if they knew and could see what they were putting in their bodies. We can also thank our government for allowing all sorts of chemicals into foods that are even banned in Europe. I know recently they brought out that they were removing some sort of chemical from a soda drink...their users caught on that it was banned in Europe and it's original purpose was as a fire retardant so they'd written the company and complained.

As for a hospital banning obese workers...I think it's more a criteria they are requiring of their employees...sorta like if you want to work for this company - you must wear suits and not casual clothing. Hopefully, they are smart enough to know that BMI can be wrong and maybe they'll require people to take a fitness test prior to getting the job. The other issue is there are tons of nurses out there trying to get jobs....they have such a glut of nurses now that they probably wouldn't even have to bring it up in an interview...they'd just pick someone who looks healthy. A lot of right to work states don't really have to even provide a reason for why they fire you...they just do it.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

Thats awesome! I know a lot of business are offering gyms or workout classes now. Or doing meetings while walking instead of sitting. I think its cool that places are offering things to keep their employees healthy and I think it makes them happier too. My brothers work even has a nap room. I WISH! haha. I think when companies go out of their way to do nice things for their employees it makes for a better work environment. My work is the opposite. They buy crap food for everyone on a weekly or daily basis. Most people here are over weight and they say now that I eat like a bird. Oh well better a bird then a pig lol
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Would any of you feel more confident in a health care provider that has fit employees? Just wondering if anyone has rolled their eyes at taking heath advice from someone that is obese?

Personally, I trust people more that actually walk the walk. But that is me.

I am obese and do NOT want an obese doctor. I don't care what anybody thinks about it either. Everyone can play nice in the forum, but I'm gonna keep it real. Just like I don't want people with no success giving me advice on MFP, I don't want a fat assed doctor telling me what actions to take to lose weight.
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not quite sure how I feel about this. I am an RN and let's just say my BMI is not "normal". Does that mean I am unhealthy...ABSOLUTELY NOT! I have had one call-in in the past year. That's because I had a diabetic seizure. We do have an awesome incentive though for maintaining a healthy BMI. For having a BMI <25 we receive discounts on our health insurance premiums each pay day. If we also have normal cholesterol levels, are non-smokers, have normal blood pressure, and normal blood sugar, we can receive up to $50 off each pay day. Pretty sweet deal and great incentive if you ask me. It adds up over the year.
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options

Personally, I trust people more that actually walk the walk. But that is me.

I think it goes both ways. I've seen so many patients that commented how they didn't feel respected or understood by their 'skinny for their whole lives' dietitian (although I acknowledge this may not actually be the case). I've also heard a lot of healthy weight or underweight professionals tell patients that to lose weight or control their diabetes they only need to stop eating all the cakes, biscuits and sweets.... huge assumption and really disempowering.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    The amount of times I've read on here "The nurse/doctor was telling me to lose weight/eat more to lose. Why should I take health advice off someone who's obese/bigger than me?"
    I don't agree with stopping someone from working because of their size, but I do think people expect to have an example to follow when they are getting health advice (I'm not giving my opinion on that!)
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that if you're working within a hospital, for whatever inside or outside company, you represent them, so you should also represent what they stand for, health.

It kind of makes me think of working within a bank, if you have horrible credit and have not made any effort to pay/maintain your debts, they screen you, and you will not be offered a job. Why? Because they dont want someone who owes money, cannot represent the banks expectations of their clients and esp. give advice if they havent been able to breathe it in and put it into practice in their own lives.

This is how I see it too, however I think we're going to be in the minority here.
    Its how I see it too. I work in the Finance/investement industry and my credit has always been a determination for a job or representing various companies, I also am scrutinized on my appearance. I have to look 'the part' professional and somewhat upscale. I dont see a problem with what they are doing.
  • stehmari
    stehmari Posts: 110 Member
    Options
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

As someone who attended a graduate school that was part of a hospital system, I can tell you without a doubt how many of the hospital employees puff away on their cigarets under the "no smoking" signs. Hospital does not = healthy. How many healthy people do you know that hang out in hospitals?
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    People don't get hired for all sorts of reasons. If you are under 18, can't lift 50 pounds over your head, drug testing etc. Obesity is a liability in their eyes, and they write the checks.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options

This is how I see it too, however I think we're going to be in the minority here.

yep, i totally agree. i don't think it's unfair to not want unhealthy people representing a health facility.

I have a problem with this for two reason:

1) Using BMI to gauge the healthiness of a person is just ridiculous. A thirty second google search will give you a couple million reasons why (I always laugh when I remember hearing that it considered Evander Holyfield obese).

2) I don't care how healthy the person treating me at the hospital is. If I need a surgeon to do some life saving procedure on me, I want the best performing surgeon; not the healthiest one. If the surgeon who is most likely to save my life needs to eat a big mac every hour on the hour, I don't care. Put the scalpel in the hand of the best performing thin/fat/healthy person/computer/monkey.

As a side comment, I think it's more appropriate to call a hospital a "sick facility", then a "health facility"...you don't rush there if you are healthy.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea on how to screen workers for a particular job. Are they able to do the job, and do it well? That should be the first, last and only question. It has nothing to do with whether you smoke, drink, over eat, or fart unicorns. Neither does your credit score. Those are all personal and private, unless they affect your ability to do the job. Period.

If the government was trying to enforce restrictions there would be riots in the streets. Why is it ok for business to do these things? Business should not be given righrs and privileges that belong to people. I find it hard to fathom that we should even need to have these sort of debates.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you're not going to hire obese individuals, you shouldn't hire underweight individuals either. I mean, it's only fair.