Texas hospital bans obese workers?

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    While BMI may not be the best indicator, I think it's a good change. It will be challenged a lot. Their will be suits left and right and it will be tested and probably changed to be more than BMI. Probably a battery of tests to determine overall health. But, I think it's a great change.

Where I live, they did something similar with the sherriffs office. Oh boy, was that controversial. Lol. They gave them a long period to get things in order. If they didn't, they were gone.

I think next year, where I work, they are going to provide a discount to those that are in good physical condition. We don't know yet what that means or how it will be measured. But, the big fat people (majority) are not happy. Since its a DISCOUNT for good health, they are advertising, no one is being penalized. A penalty would be if they charged more for being out of shape, which they aren't. Those folks just continue on the plan as they always have, but people like me will get a discount from the regular rate. Lol. I'm all for it. I think the insurance companies are starting to notice that healthy people cost them less. So, they are trying to provide incentive, financially. Rather than say," you're fired", they just say, "here's your bill".
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I am now worried that by the time I graduate and start looking for a non hourly job, my credentials are going to be overshadowed by the numbers on a body fat scale.
  • Food4Fuel
    Food4Fuel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Edited
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    So, I went to the links and was shocked to find that the man who has decided to ban overweight workers has other issues:

"In the memo, one of several records used by three physicians of Indian descent to lodge a racial discrimination suit against Citizens, Brown wrote that he felt “a sense of disgust” that more “Middle-Eastern-born” physicians were demanding leadership roles at the hospital. “It will change the entire complexion of the hospital and create a level of fear among our employees,” he wrote.":frown:
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that if you're working within a hospital, for whatever inside or outside company, you represent them, so you should also represent what they stand for, health.

It kind of makes me think of working within a bank, if you have horrible credit and have not made any effort to pay/maintain your debts, they screen you, and you will not be offered a job. Why? Because they dont want someone who owes money, cannot represent the banks expectations of their clients and esp. give advice if they havent been able to breathe it in and put it into practice in their own lives.

Unlike with your banking analogy, it's not easy to judge when someone is unhealthy. A higher BMI does not necessarily mean lack of health. How many medical professionals smoke, eat poorly, don't get enough sleep or exercise? I'd think that the majority fall under those issues than don't. Are people who are disabled also disallowed from the profession? Or the aged?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yeah this is biased against all the NFL players who are trying to be nurses. Give me a break 35 BMI is too high for most of the general public, sure there's exceptions (NFL players) but they are not the issue. I'm sure when Troy Palamalu applies to this hospitals ER unit they will make an exception.

I don't know dude. We have a weight lifter at work. He's big. He told me about this big deal he went through because his doctor told him he was dangerously obese. He truly was concerned. He kept asking, "are you sure". Finally, he went in for a check up, and he took off his shirt, and he said that maybe it was the first time the doctor had even looked at him, but then he said the dr said, "ok, nevermind, you're fine". But, think about bean counters and insurance companies. The rule is NO BMI MORE THAN 35, the paper from the dr says BMI IS OVER 35, therefore you are fired". I work in stupid *kitten* administrative crap like this everyday. Computers and apathetic people and policies and it happens easily.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think most things based on BMI should be banned. It is an unrealistic marker and actually encourages more eating disorders due to it's inappropriate measuring. I would look like a POW at my healthy BMI.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    While BMI may not be the best indicator, I think it's a good change. It will be challenged a lot. Their will be suits left and right and it will be tested and probably changed to be more than BMI. Probably a battery of tests to determine overall health. But, I think it's a great change.

Where I live, they did something similar with the sherriffs office. Oh boy, was that controversial. Lol. They gave them a long period to get things in order. If they didn't, they were gone.

I think next year, where I work, they are going to provide a discount to those that are in good physical condition. We don't know yet what that means or how it will be measured. But, the big fat people (majority) are not happy. Since its a DISCOUNT for good health, they are advertising, no one is being penalized. A penalty would be if they charged more for being out of shape, which they aren't. Those folks just continue on the plan as they always have, but people like me will get a discount from the regular rate. Lol. I'm all for it. I think the insurance companies are starting to notice that healthy people cost them less. So, they are trying to provide incentive, financially. Rather than say," you're fired", they just say, "here's your bill".

My hospital did the same thing.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that if you're working within a hospital, for whatever inside or outside company, you represent them, so you should also represent what they stand for, health.

It kind of makes me think of working within a bank, if you have horrible credit and have not made any effort to pay/maintain your debts, they screen you, and you will not be offered a job. Why? Because they dont want someone who owes money, cannot represent the banks expectations of their clients and esp. give advice if they havent been able to breathe it in and put it into practice in their own lives.

Unlike with your banking analogy, it's not easy to judge when someone is unhealthy. A higher BMI does not necessarily mean lack of health. How many medical professionals smoke, eat poorly, don't get enough sleep or exercise? I'd think that the majority fall under those issues than don't. Are people who are disabled also disallowed from the profession? Or the aged?

Not to mention the number of health professionals that get addicted to the drugs they around everyday!
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    while i can i see over concerns with health costs, why not make them enroll in a program to help lose the weight or something along those guidlines instead straight no hire/fire. Just my two cents.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Interesting,

I have actually had the conversation, several times with various people, about employees in the healthcare industry that are over weight and are smokers. I have also over heard conversation about this in the various drs offices I have been in the last 10 years since I frequent them so often with elderly in laws an an auto immune disease.

Would any of you feel more confident in a health care provider that has fit employees? Just wondering if anyone has rolled their eyes at taking heath advice from someone that is obese?

Personally, I trust people more that actually walk the walk. But that is me.
  • hollyjane77
    Options
    That shouldn't be legal... It's discrimination.
  • Food4Fuel
    Food4Fuel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fair, it seems most fat percentage would be a better way to go about something like this.
  • underwater77
    Options
    I would personally not feel comfortable providing patient education on health if I were obese, much like I could never tell my patients not to smoke if I smoked, but perhaps that is just me. I'd feel like a hypocrite.

So, now, per this thread, nurses are fat, smoking, drug addicts. Awesome.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options

This is how I see it too, however I think we're going to be in the minority here.

This is true - and it's true for so many other things. Mortgage lenders cannot lose their house in foreclosure, or they lose their license. SO many jobs are doing credit screening now. And you can argue it the same way - you have some control, but sometimes there are circumstances out of your control.... and that sucks. Is it a perfect solution? No. And is it necessary to be fit for every job in a hospital? Probably not. However there are some jobs that require some serious strength and cardio.

Thinking back to my midwife when I had my first baby - we walked the halls for HOURS. Up and down stairs, back and forth, up and down, literally for FOUR. HOURS. But no ill effects from her - and when contractions got worse and I needed support, she was there 110%, not winded in the slightest. That was so important. .
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I suspect the self insurance angle might be what's driving this. I do know that my school district requires that you be able to lift 50 pounds. I wasn't given a test (no 50 pound weights handed to me at my interview) but it was on the paperwork I signed. I'm not sure exactly what they expected me to lift as I've never had to lift more than textbooks and my computer (way under 50 pounds).

I do know that the medical Obama bill allows insurance companies to charge double the fees if the person is a smoker. Apparently, this would raise the rates for all smokers to the point where they'd not be able to afford the insurance. It's basically a way to filter out the unhealthy or force people to finally stop. I've never liked smoking and know it's bad for you so I could easily see an insurance company panicking about cancers and all sorts of other problems that come with it - which is most likely how it got written into the law. It's like that law in New York regarding soda sizes...and the laws requiring the nutrition be posted in menus. I think the soda stuff is silly - the nutrition law where they post calories and such...that's not bad. I kinda like knowing what I'm eating and even now look for that information.
  • caegem
    caegem Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Agreed !
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I would personally not feel comfortable providing patient education on health if I were obese, much like I could never tell my patients not to smoke if I smoked, but perhaps that is just me. I'd feel like a hypocrite.

So, now, per this thread, nurses are fat, smoking, drug addicts. Awesome.
    because nurses are people too so they arent perfect.
  • underwater77
    Options
    I think the credit score is a far better analogy than race.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Obesity, (or even just being over weight) is not black and white. I really hate the inside-the-box mindset of society today. They should first try to help those who need to shed the weight. It is not just as simple as calories in calories out. There are people who are very overweight or obese who have tried in vain to lose weight. There are so many poisons that we put into our bodies and we have no clue how they have wrecked the normal functions we used to enjoy. I think that if they are going to set these limits, then they need to be wiling to take an active role in the weight loss efforts of the individual who wants the job but is not within the limits. If they can't do that, they are only contributing to the problem.