How much of a hoarder are you?

Options
124»

Replies

• Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I buy poptarts and cereal faster than I can eat them, but that's about it.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    i hoard hotdogs....
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Also say a problem with paperwork. I have years of utility bills even though you can now get all copies online! You never know when you might need to know who you phoned in 2006 :wink:

oh yeah... forgot about the tax records back to 1986 & my first full time job....

I'm not bad, though - you can walk in my house and children are safe! I swear! (I love the show - it makes me feel awesome and super organized!)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'll never be one.................my mom is one now and it's putting a strain on my mom and dad's relationship somewhat. Also, there are rooms in her house where I wouldn't let my daughter go in for fear she may step into something that died (mice or bugs).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That's how it is in my family too... only my dad has joined in on the hoarding too, to a degree... only my daughter can't go anywhere in the house and it has gotten way worse since I moved out and my dad moved back in after he retired from the Air Force.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have a rule... if I haven't used it within the last 6 months, it goes in the trash.
  • janelleross
    janelleross Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time getting rid of boxes, especially shoe boxes.

Oh my gosh .... I'm a box hoarder too! Especially if they are "cute" boxes! Every once in a while my daughter will make me throw them out. hehe :)
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I have a leather jacket that my Grandfather used to wear when he was racing motorcycles back in the 20's and 30's. You can still see the numbers that were hand painted on the back.
    He passed it down to my Father who wore it for a while and then he passed it down to me.
    I wore it all around Europe and now, in a few more years (once I get a new liner sewn in), I will pass it down to my son.

This like that are worth holding onto. My FIL gave my husband his leather jacket he wore when he rode his Harley. It never fit my husband but we're keeping it to give to our youngest if he ever wants it. Right now he doesn't.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My husband is 54 and will not part with any of his clothing from his college days or his navy uniforms.

My wife always tries to get me to part with my USAF uniforms too... I don't understand this.

I can understand keeping one set of the dress uniform as a memento but there is no need to keep everything. Its not like he or you will ever wear it again. He's certainly not going to be able to go back into the navy.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I can understand keeping one set of the dress uniform as a memento but there is no need to keep everything. Its not like he or you will ever wear it again. He's certainly not going to be able to go back into the navy.

Ha!

And just what do you think he should be wearing when the Reds finally invade?

You'll have to pry my BDU's out of my cold, dead, hands! :)
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'll never be one.................my mom is one now and it's putting a strain on my mom and dad's relationship somewhat. Also, there are rooms in her house where I wouldn't let my daughter go in for fear she may step into something that died (mice or bugs).

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

my mom...it's so bad. Never, had I ever invited anyone over my mother's due to this fact. Ridiculous. As I mentioned, my mother and I don't talk and haven't seen each other in 5 years. The smell in her house was sickening. It's indescribable. I get irritated talking about it so, just going to leave it at this.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I know that this is an extreme example of hoarding, but it's true. A Pekin, IL. couple died from hoarding just last week. :(

Sadly, the couple died here because they were hoarders. They had told their daughter that all of their 'stuff' was valuable and that it would make them rich someday. A neighbor said that the husband came home from the store with a space heater and told him that he needed it, but wasn't sure where he would be able to plug it in at. They had so much stuff that they were living in the basement and it was too cold down there. He plugged it in and of course it was too close to their 'valuables' and it caught on fire while they were sleeping. They were found dead at the bottom of the stairs, apparently trying to escape. It took the fire department nearly 24 hours to retrieve their bodies because the upstairs was so full of stuff, it collapsed onto the lower floor and covered them. I think it's sad that they didn't receive help for their 'addiction' before it killed them.

If you seriously have a hoarding issue, get help for it.

i just read this article from 2010 :

The body 67 year-old Las Vegas woman, missing since April, was discovered on Wednesday in a room in her home by her husband.

She was a hoarder, her husband had built a second home on their property just to house her stuff. Because of all of the garbage and rotting food, search dogs were unable to pick her scent back when she first went missing. Her husband had started cleaning out the rooms. He had already filled two dumpsters when he saw her feet sticking out of the piles. ...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

my mom...it's so bad. Never, had I ever invited anyone over my mother's due to this fact. Ridiculous. As I mentioned, my mother and I don't talk and haven't seen each other in 5 years. The smell in her house was sickening. It's indescribable. I get irritated talking about it so, just going to leave it at this.

This is my mom too.
    I still have a relationship with her, but she won't listen to anyone. One day the city will make her clean it up.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: How much of a hoarder are you?

Not much... every time I do laundry a couple things end up in the trash. As for paperwork, shredder handles anything I don't want anyone to see and filing system for things I may need. Catalogs are the onlythings that tend to pile up but I get rid of those about once a month so not too bad. Food cannot be kept leftover more than a day, because otherwise we'll forget. What else is there? Oh electronics have a way of hanging around but that's my hubby's department and darnit if he doesnt end up looking for and using every weird doohickey I would have considered trash?