After watching "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" I'm juicing

Options
I watched that documentary last night and I was so inspired. It's natural, no gimmicks, no pills, all real. Of course I will eat solid foods, however, I definitely want to incorporate juicing in between meals. I just love it, it's products you can buy in the grocery store, fruits and vegetables. Everything your body needs and craves is in the right foods.

Just need to get a good reliable juicer....any suggestions???

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I watched that documentary last night and I was so inspired. It's natural, no gimmicks, no pills, all real. Of course I will eat solid foods, however, I definitely want to incorporate juicing in between meals. I just love it, it's products you can buy in the grocery store, fruits and vegetables. Everything your body needs and craves is in the right foods.

Just need to get a good reliable juicer....any suggestions???

Oh. I thought you'd just buy the one they were selling. You know, that he used. To juice....
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You also notice the guy took months off from work, and is rich, and ran. and changed really what he ate when not juicing too?
    Don't juice.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    You also notice the guy took months off from work, and is rich, and ran. and changed really what he ate when not juicing too?
    Don't juice.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. You can juice whether you work or not. I did mention in my comment that I will still be eating solid foods(healthy foods) however, I am adding juicing to my lifestyle change.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    OK Good luck. Just don't go crazy with the fasting stuff. :drinker:
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Breville is a good brand. I have the juice fountain. Easy to use, easy to clean up.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I was inspired to buy a juicer (second-hand) after seeing that documentary about a year or two ago, too.

Weird; I have yet to juice the first thing.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Juicing cuts out a significant amount of "fibre" from your diet since you aren't eating any of the cellulose that comes from fruits and veggies.
  • proverbs31chick
    Options
    Juicing cuts out a significant amount of "fibre" from your diet since you aren't eating any of the cellulose that comes from fruits and veggies.

It's not going to be all I do, it's going to be added to my lifestyle change.
  • proverbs31chick
    Options
    OK Good luck. Just don't go crazy with the fasting stuff. :drinker:

Fasting?? Not fasting, adding to my lifestyle change.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My bf and I did that too: watched the documentary and ran right out and bought a juicer. It was entirely too much money and work for us. Being college students we did not have time for taking the damn thing apart and scrubbing every piece multiple times a day and the amount of fruits and veggies you need to make the juice thin out your wallet fast.

We did it for 15 days and lost 8 lbs(me) and 13lbs(him) but when we started mixing back in solid(still healthy) food the weight came back.

We picked a juicer on Amazon.com that had good reviews; I don't remember the company or model because we sold the stupid thing lol but Amazon reviews are pretty trustworthy if the item has 100+

ETA: I know you didn't ask for experiences with juicing lol but I urge you to try and borrow a juicer for a week or two before you spend money on one, to see if it's for you.
  • sltpsu15
    sltpsu15 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I got a vitamix blender - it can also be used as a juicer. A bit pricy, but the best blender you will ever own!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this would be a good way to get my veggies in. I'm just not a fan-never have been. Maybe drinking them is the way to go.
  • Vamperling
    Options
    Bottlehouse Farms have a wonderful selection of juices you can choose from. I love the Vanilla Tea and Green Goodness. I would strongly recommend those - plus they're organic! :D
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

It's not going to be all I do, it's going to be added to my lifestyle change.

Glad to hear it. If it works for you, awesome, but keep in mind that the juice won't give you the full feeling you get from eating fruits and veggies. Best of luck with your lifestyle change :wink:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    My bf and I did that too: watched the documentary and ran right out and bought a juicer. It was entirely too much money and work for us. Being college students we did not have time for taking the damn thing apart and scrubbing every piece multiple times a day and the amount of fruits and veggies you need to make the juice thin out your wallet fast.

We did it for 15 days and lost 8 lbs(me) and 13lbs(him) but when we started mixing back in solid(still healthy) food the weight came back.

We picked a juicer on Amazon.com that had good reviews; I don't remember the company or model because we sold the stupid thing lol but Amazon reviews are pretty trustworthy if the item has 100+

ETA: I know you didn't ask for experiences with juicing lol but I urge you to try and borrow a juicer for a week or two before you spend money on one, to see if it's for you.

I think the juicer they use in the documentary has his name on it. They expect you to buy that specific juicer. So it's essentially a 2 hour infomercial...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Same here, I found the show entertaining and uplifting even though it's probably a well-disguised infomercial. But I juice here and there in addition to what I eat because it's a nice way to get some extra veggie micronutrients without eating 17 pounds of salad. :wink:

I got this one (Dash juicer) at Target, it works well enough for the price.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UN2OJ0/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_hst_3
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yall are against juicing i think thats absolutely ridiculous , I THINK IT would be a great thing to get into your lifestyle changee,,
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Just eat whatever you would have juiced. Its better for you and much more satisfying to chew.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    On a high note, every time I hear of juicing, I think of that girl on Willie Wonka that chewed that gum and became a blueberry. She had to be "juiced."

:laugh:
  • amyrebtx
    amyrebtx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Breville Juice Fountain. We use ours practically every day. We bought it after watching Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead in 2010. Previously we had owned two cheaper juicers, both of which were practically useless.
    Like you, I never did a full juice fast, just added into my regular diet. It's a good way for me to use vegetables that I would never eat otherwise, i.e. beets, kale, radishes, etc.