After watching "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" I'm juicing

Options

Replies

• JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    I have a friend who lost 18 lbs in 10 days from juicing but was miserable. Glad to hear that you are incorporating other foods into your plan. Ninja systems has a blender/juicer about $100. Good luck!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Just eat whatever you would have juiced. Its better for you and much more satisfying to chew.

You cant eat 3 lbs of veggies in one sitting. People juice to get max amount of nutrients without having to stuff themselves full.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I guess if you want to drink your veggies it can't hurt and could be fun. Just make sure that the rest of your diet also works and that you're exercising! Good luck!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Jack LeLanne juicer, you can juice the whole fruit including the peel, the peel and fibre is collected in a container and you can use it for making salsa and stuff.

It is a good juicer no doubt about that. For example you can put a whole kiwi fruit in and out comes the juice one end and all the fibre pulp the other.

Sadly I discovered that fresh juice especially veggie upsets my stomach so hardly used it and gave it to my daughter in law.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Just eat whatever you would have juiced. Its better for you and much more satisfying to chew.
    My typical juice is an entire cucumber, an entire zucchini, about 5 or 6 BIG carrots, several leaves of cabbage, an apple or pear, and some blueberries. I can eat a lot of food but there's no way I could eat all that, especially since I don't like blueberries. ;)
  • GGeileen1
    GGeileen1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am surprised at how negative most are being about your choice to juice as well as eat healthy foods. I think it's a great idea. You might want to peruse Amazon and look for the highest rated juicer at your preferred price. Checking the user comments and photos usually give you a really good idea at how good a product is. Hope this helps! Best of luck.
  • bdubbers
    bdubbers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been quasi-juicing. I have been doing the Spinach shake I learned about from www.fit2fat2fit.com I have it first thing in the morning and experiment with adding different fruits/ingredients. It has become my favorite way to start the day energized. Before the shake I would have eggs and oatmeal every morning and it would just make me feel lethargic. Once I finish the spinach shake, I am ready to run out the door and go to the gym and it keeps me full for about 3 hours. Plus no gimmick, don't have to buy anything other than what you want to put in it and you can make it in a good ol fashioned blender
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    The only issue I have with juicing is the waste and the annoying clean up factor. It would take like 10 lbs of carrots and yield like 32 ounces and leave behind all the good fiber. We bought a vitamix and make green juices with it and my fiber is crazy high now. If you can't afford a vitalized look into the Ninja. Good luck...I feel amazing now that I am drinking green drinks. :)
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'll admit I don't get the juicing thing. Isn't it better to eat the fiber of the fruit/vegetable? Isn't it then more filling, as well as being better for your digestive tract? Don't you then eat fewer calories while still getting the nutritional benefits of the produce?
  • kway610
    kway610 Posts: 162
    Options
    I also juice in addition to eating a very healthy diet. As far as "just eating it instead of juicing"....I hate beets but I will drink the juice. I hate kale but I drink the juice. There is not enough time in the day to eat all of the extra nutrients that I get from my juice and smoothies. With that being said....I use the GNC juicer. I got it on sale for $40 (originally $89). Its easy to use and clean. Good luck and be blessed in all you do.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Juicing cuts out a significant amount of "fibre" from your diet since you aren't eating any of the cellulose that comes from fruits and veggies.

I bought a Nutri Bullet.....for about $80 at Bed, Bath & Beyond with their online coupon and you can juice the entire fruit/veggie so it doesn't cut out the fiber. Edited for link: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=40081076&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=nutribullet&creative=18172708958&adpos=1t2
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You cant eat 3 lbs of veggies in one sitting. People juice to get max amount of nutrients without having to stuff themselves full.

And yet the dietetics and mainstream medical communities generally counts juice as ONE serving a day regardless of how much you drink. Do you need the nutrients from three pounds of vegetables in a day let alone in one sitting? Or will you be messing with your internal chemistry by stuffing your body full of water and sugar, vitamins it does not need so will pass right through yet no fibre?

Juicing does not extract all the nutrients loads are wasted in the pulp, fruit and veggies only supply a limited range of nutrients anyway, far from the full complement. All essential nutrients are equally important, as is a balance because they are absorbed and utilised synergistically and in opposition.

The claims sound plausible unless you know anything about nutrition and dietetics.
  • dguz21
    dguz21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying I am not an expert in nutrition, but I love the idea of disguising and drinking my veggies.

Juicing takes out the fiber and also uses a lot more as a lot is left behind to go to the garbage. I like the NutriBullet. It purchased it at Bed Bath and Beyond with a coupon. You lose nothing this way. I find it to be healthier, less expensive, less of a hassle in clean up.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Juicing not only removes the fabulous fiber from your fruits and veggies, but it will concentrate the sugars. An alternative that will avoid both of these outcomes is to learn to make smoothies out of them instead. You'll stay full longer since a smoothly won't rush through your system like juice will (Ty fiber). A quick google search will bring up hundreds of tasty fruit/veggie smoothies.
  • Rrrroxy777
    Options
    I also have been juicing to up my micronutrients in between a balanced healthy diet. I love it. Sitting drinking my Green juice right now! The amount of green leafy veg you can cram into a glass is astounding, much more than I could sit and eat everyday... and it is absorbed alot quicker into the system in a liquid form. I add lots of things for general well being such as ginger, lemon, turmeric for it's antiflammatory properties and it makes you feel great. I know it does seem like a bit of a waste to throw out fibre but it's worth it and if you can get a very effective juicer you will be maximising the amount you get out of your fruit and veg :) I have been using a very cheap juicer for the past few months but just ordered my new Breville Juice Fountain Plus :D Have heard great things :)
    People who complain about the clean up obviously aren't committed enough to the cause to get past being lazy. lol. It is quick and easy if you just empty and rinse it all straight away.
    those with compost can add all the green waste to that and it doesn't go to complete waste that way...
    Also it DOES fill you up. I struggle to drink my one glass some days in between meals. But it's worth it, my skin, hair, nails everything has improved since starting to juice. Go for it!
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were inspired by the documentary, too. We ended up getting a Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Pro juicer off Amazon for around $50. It's great!

People are trying to talk you out of juicing. Whatever. I say go for it! It's a nice way to get in some extra nutrients if you're not already eating that stuff. For me, I hate kale and other bitter greens like that. I juice enough to fill a double shot glass. It tastes terrible, but it's a quick easy way to me to get those vitamins.

And nothing beats fresh apple and orange juice!
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am surprised at how negative most are being about your choice to juice as well as eat healthy foods. I think it's a great idea. You might want to peruse Amazon and look for the highest rated juicer at your preferred price. Checking the user comments and photos usually give you a really good idea at how good a product is. Hope this helps! Best of luck.

Exactly. I didn't say I was not eating anything else, I just said I was added it to my lifestyle change. Were here for support, if you don't agree then don't comment. Everything is not for everybody. Find what works for you and be healthy.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The fiber (and peels/ends I might cut off) all go to our chickens. Doesn't everyone have chickens?
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    I have the Jack Lelanne juicer- it was a gift from my sister in law. It works really well- my hubby uses it for fresh orange juice/apple juice in the morning. I havent used it recently but i have a few great recipes for green juices. Juicing is a great way to get your nutrients in- however make sure you are taking a fiber supplement! The one I have is easy to clean and you can keep the pulp to freeze or use in muffins or salsas or salads...whatever you want!
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Its a great way to cleanse but it cost about 400 a week to juice. To expensive for me. Eating raw is a great alternative.

I loved the documentary though. If i could afford to juice for 30 days a would. Bt others are right, just blending the fruits and veggies will give you the fiber control your blood sugar better.