should you really eat ALL your calories from excercise back?

Options

Replies

• Lyzz6363
    Lyzz6363 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes half of what you burn, about 100 calories extra if you burn 200-300 calories. If you only burn 100-150 calories I just eat them so about 100 extra if you workout. :happy: I seen some people get away with eating all of them but it does not work for me at all. I can only eat about a extra 100-150 when I work out, or I won't loose. Hope this helps :happy:

Thanks! i used to do 1000 calorie burnoffs but my current lifestyle can't sustain that so it's more like 350-500 ish. Today was bloody 880. That's so much to eat back but if i only have to eat back half of it i can just add cheese, nuts, avo etc to things and be ok i think.

Yes I have noticed 300-500 range if what most people on my friends list here burn and most eat about half or maybe nothing. You can go by however you feel works best. :wink: I have tried the calculation crap on here, it never seems right or works for me lol happy:
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    for example my calorie limit is 1360 , but if i exercise i burn off like 600 calories , raising my calorie limit to 2000+, i eat about 1700 -1800 calories a day (if i exercise) i eat half of what i burn or 2/3rd - depending on how i feel . YES, eat your burn calories back. if i dont exercise i just eat 1250-1360 calories that day.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE and subtract up to 20% that will give you how many calories you should be consuming based on your activity level. There will be no more "should i eat my exercise calories back" thoughts once you figure that out... you'll just play around with that number till you find what works for you.

whats a TDEE?
  • MsBurnItUp
    Options
    exercise a lot, so to have the energy to hit the gym the following day I eat a couple hundred more depending on how hard of a workout I had. I lost -13kg in 3 months by NOT eating all of the calories. So even if people say ur metabolism slows down, I'd beg to diiffer. If ur trying to build muscle, it might be the case. But not if ur in it to loose fat. At least not from my experience.
    Good luck! :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE and subtract up to 20% that will give you how many calories you should be consuming based on your activity level. There will be no more "should i eat my exercise calories back" thoughts once you figure that out... you'll just play around with that number till you find what works for you.

whats a TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure - basically your maintenance or what you burn in a day.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

whats a TDEE?

Busted for not reading the referenced links! :tongue:
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options

whats a TDEE?

:laugh:
  • trudijoy
    Options

whats a TDEE?

i actually tried to load one and it crashed my internet. might have been a coincidence, but hey....
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem. I wasn't aware that i would be setting myself back if i had a big deficit. really? Even if you eat high quality foods w. low caloric intake, work out consistently, drink water, and not starve. I thought if you can balance all that and do the whole calorie in vs. calorie out method you'd see results. Am i doing this wrong?

(ex: MFP goal: 1200 calories daily, I can satisfy my day w. 1,000 easily (im always full), burn 400 exercise = deficit -600)
    this is not good?

1000 calories is way too low to be eating on a regular basis. In my opinion, and seemingly the opinion of most of the things I've read, 1200 is even too low. Read the article links posted by other members on this page, it'll give you a better sense of where you should be and other message boards will give you good ways to supplement the other calories. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

whats a TDEE?

i actually tried to load one and it crashed my internet. might have been a coincidence, but hey....

Weird - both worked fine for me when I just clicked them
  • trudijoy
    Options

whats a TDEE?

Weird - both worked fine for me when I just clicked them

like i said, probably just a coincidence....
  • twomadogs
    twomadogs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't log my exercise any more, so anything I burn is a bonus. and I try to keep to my calorie goal.

I walk about 5 Kilometers a day, as quick as I can, then I do about 10 ks on my spin bike and lift some light weights(5kg each).
    I also go for a ride on my bicycle when ever I can, I do 10 to 15 ks on that..

Works for me, but we are all different. All the best,:flowerforyou:
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options

They are just links to other threads in this forum, should not cause any crashes hmmmm....
  • trudijoy
    Options

They are just links to other threads in this forum, should not cause any crashes hmmmm....

tried again - it's too much for me. to be honest, i want easy answers (yes or no, not easy options) , not scientific formula... if I get confused, I'll stop trying. So thanks to those who posted but thats not how I'm going to succeed at this. I don't want to get THAT caught up in the numbers.
  • jellybeanasmommy
    Options
    I think it's important to eat at least close to what is allowed (including the "extra" calories you gain from exercise). Reason being is that the calorie limit is already lowered to account for weight loss (assuming you're not just maintaining your weight) and if you are burning a lot of calories but not taking in enough your body will essentially go into starvation mode and start storing a lot more of what you do consume. Occasionally being significantly under your recommended calorie intake is probably okay but I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

tried again - it's too much for me. to be honest, i want easy answers (yes or no, not easy options) , not scientific formula... if I get confused, I'll stop trying. So thanks to those who posted but thats not how I'm going to succeed at this. I don't want to get THAT caught up in the numbers.

OK....YES

Oh, and if you could not get in as they crashed, how do you know what is in them? Hmmmm
  • trudijoy
    Options

OK....YES

lol thanks. I really do appreciate your help, but i also know where my limits lie and if i confuse myself and make it too complicated then the results won't be good.
  • trudijoy
    Options

OK....YES

Oh, and if you could not get in as they crashed, how do you know what is in them? Hmmmm

i just tried again, as I said. You know you can click links more than once? WOW.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

OK....YES

lol thanks. I really do appreciate your help, but i also know where my limits lie and if i confuse myself and make it too complicated then the results won't be good.

If you actually read what is in them then maybe you will be less confused.

Anyway..good luck.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's not complicated; it's basic and simple. We're not talking differential equations and string theory here. If you spend all of 1 hour reading up and really understanding, it can quite literally change your life.