should you really eat ALL your calories from excercise back?

Options

Replies

• AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    please read article and then post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satiety

What exactly does that have to do with eating the right amount of calories and nutition for your bodie's activities?

I could get full eating a tonne of broccolli, but I wouldn't have got in my daily nutrition/protein/fats etc.

I totally agree with this ^^^ and forget even EATING anything. I could drink a bunch of water and feel full, but I would still be starving myself if that's all I consumed. Also, I can't be the only person who has gotten overweight because I didn't always understand my hunger/full cues. Why would those cues tell the truth now when I am trying to lose weight, if they didn't tell the truth when I was gaining it?

if your body is functionally probable no matter how much water you drank you would still be hungry
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What exactly does that have to do with eating the right amount of calories and nutition for your bodie's activities?

I could get full eating a tonne of broccolli, but I wouldn't have got in my daily nutrition/protein/fats etc.

please cite a credible source.... and an article that relates to this

cited so far today myfitnesspal article and cited some internet article i promise you Wikipedia is much more credible.

yes if you ate only ate broccoli you wouldn't be the healthiest person a live, whats you point? though if you only ate micro nutrient dense food and low calorie food you would be perfectly healthy.

Cited 'some' internet article....lolz

Have you not heard of Lyle McDonald? And the MFP post was explaining how MFP worked - not exactly the stuff you need peer reviewed double blind studies for.

You post:

"Satiety is a state or condition of fullness gratified beyond the point of satisfaction. The satiety center in animals are located in ventromedial nucleus of hypothalamus."

That was it...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

cited so far today myfitnesspal article and cited some internet article i promise you Wikipedia is much more credible.

wikipedia is about as credible as myfitnesspal.

oh look, i just edited the wikipedia page you just posted.
  • jenbenefit
    jenbenefit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes half of what you burn, about 100 calories extra if you burn 200-300 calories. If you only burn 100-150 calories I just eat them so about 100 extra if you workout. :happy: I seen some people get away with eating all of them but it does not work for me at all. I can only eat about a extra 100-150 when I work out, or I won't loose. Hope this helps :happy:

i'm exactly the same, unless I feel crazy hungry in the evenings I usually have a little snack like a banana before i work out, then a protein shake or peanut butter after, but my dinner is bigger knowing i wil lwork out later on. i work in a nursery and usually burn between 600-800 calories from that alone, now if i ate that back ontop of my 300ish from exercise i'd be eating all day and losing nothing! Just make sure you listen to your body and if it feels hungry, feed it something (preferably healthy) and try and stay above your BMR
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

yes if you ate only ate broccoli you wouldn't be the healthiest person a live, whats you point? though if you only ate micro nutrient dense food and low calorie food you would be perfectly healthy.

your link simply said - Satiety is a state or condition of fullness gratified beyond the point of satisfaction. The satiety center in animals are located in ventromedial nucleus of hypothalamus

it had nothing to add to the question about why MFP recommends you eat back exercice calories.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this ^^^ and forget even EATING anything. I could drink a bunch of water and feel full, but I would still be starving myself if that's all I consumed. Also, I can't be the only person who has gotten overweight because I didn't always understand my hunger/full cues. Why would those cues tell the truth now when I am trying to lose weight, if they didn't tell the truth when I was gaining it?

if your body is functionally probable no matter how much water you drank you would still be hungry

Look up ghrelin and leptin
  • jellybeanasmommy
    Options

Oh my goodness! *thumbs up* Can we be friends?
  • Calamity_
    Options
    Why do you ask question if you have already your answer sticked in your mind!

Do you want to lose weight or lose Fat ?? I think it's really important to know your % body fat and yes, it's a % but it's not science it's what we call " HEALTH"

Like some one said : use calculator in links above (you don't even have to calculate yourself) and once you know your TDEE, you just have to remove 20/30% depending your overweight.

You have not to eat close to the calorie (it's not a big deal if you eat 1357 instead of 1360)

I think we can equilbrate our calories amount during few days (i don't say 500 calories a day and 3000 day after)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I was told by my Doctor/Nutritionist not to. I was told to only eat maybe half.

this is because most people underestimate how much they eat, and over estimate how much they exercise.
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options
    Yes actually i do, point invalid you obviously dont understand how hunger works if you think you can be satisfied by water alone.
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options

i literally LOL'ed!!!!
  • Calamity_
    Options
    I was told by my Doctor/Nutritionist not to. I was told to only eat maybe half.

this is because most people underestimate how much they eat, and over estimate how much they exercise.

I agree!
  • jellybeanasmommy
    Options
    Yes actually i do, point invalid you obviously dont understand how hunger works if you think you can be satisfied by water alone.

Of course you can't in the long term. In the short term though you can absolutely feel full or satiated by drinking water. As a matter of fact many diet programs recommend if you are feeling hungry to drink a glass or 2 of water to curb your hunger until it is meal time. My point was that hunger/full cues are not always reliable especially if you are experiencing or recovering from disordered eating.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'm newish to this, and since reading the message boards have realised that the recommended course of action seems to be to eat back the calories you burn. I don't often eat all my calories anyway but i've been trying to push it up closer to the mark lately following advice from here... the issue is that when I work out etc and create another deficit that often leaves me in a position like right now, where it's 9pm and i have 1000 calories 'spare'after burning 800 ish calories today.

So what is the consensus? Try my damndest to eat them back, or let this be an under day and eat higher calorie food tomorrow?

Depends.

A) Your daily goal is hellishly low eg 1200 calories a day. You're burning 1000 calories according to MFP. I'd eat back 50% because I don't believe MFP's burn rates.

B) Your daily goal is sensible eg 1700 calories a day. You've burnt 1000 cals (you haven't really!!). I'd let my calorie intake slip over 1700 slightly.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I'm newish to this, and since reading the message boards have realised that the recommended course of action seems to be to eat back the calories you burn. I don't often eat all my calories anyway but i've been trying to push it up closer to the mark lately following advice from here... the issue is that when I work out etc and create another deficit that often leaves me in a position like right now, where it's 9pm and i have 1000 calories 'spare'after burning 800 ish calories today.

So what is the consensus? Try my damndest to eat them back, or let this be an under day and eat higher calorie food tomorrow?

Depends.

A) Your daily goal is hellishly low eg 1200 calories a day. You're burning 1000 calories according to MFP. I'd eat back 50% because I don't believe MFP's burn rates.

B) Your daily goal is sensible eg 1700 calories a day. You've burnt 1000 cals (you haven't really!!). I'd let my calorie intake slip over 1700 slightly.

it's 1370, and i don't tend to meet it - usually fall under. Usually I'd only do 350-500 calorie burn workouts but today I walked a lot and hardcore cleaned the apartment, carrying and lifting and rearranging furniture etc so it was 800 ish.
  • edessad
    edessad Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The thing you need to remember is what works for one may not work for another.

I didn't eat my calories back and I hit a brick wall with days passing by with no loss. I changed my MFP goal manually and increased my calorie intake from 1700 to 2000 per day. Although I no longer log the calories burned (average about 1000 over two days) I still log the exercise. Once I did this I lost 3lbs in two days. My short answer is, never eat below your BMR and only eat back about 1/2 of what you burn

Like I said, this worked for me...it may not work for you
  • trudijoy
    Options
    The thing you need to remember is what works for one may not work for another.

I didn't eat my calories back and I hit a brick wall with days passing by with no loss. I changed my MFP goal manually and increased my calorie intake from 1700 to 2000 per day. Although I no longer log the calories burned (average about 1000 over two days) I still log the exercise. Once I did this I lost 3lbs in two days. My short answer is, never eat below your BMR and only eat back about 1/2 of what you burn

Like I said, this worked for me...it may not work for you

that's helpful, thankyou :)
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options

Look up ghrelin and leptin

plz read article i wrote
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    It is important to not to have too large of a deficit to minimize the negative impact of weight loss, that may include risk of loss of LBM (which can be mitigated to a large degree with strength training and adequate protein), hormonal disruption, metabolic adaptation, lower gym performance, possible lack of sufficient nutrients, lack of adherence and generally being grumpy. As noted above however, the ‘best’ deficit for an individual will depend on personal circumstances and also their sensitivity to large deficits. From my personal experience, when I got down to about a 22% BF%, I could not handle deficits of much more than about 10% on average as my gym performance suffers and I tend to whine and pout at that stage. Others may be perfectly OK on a 20% cut at that BF%.

large deficit plz quantify.

risks
    1. loss of LBM (can be mitigated)
    2. hormonal disruption
    3. metabolic adaptation
    4. lower gym performance
    5. possible lack of sufficient nutrients
    6. lack of adherence
    7. generally being grumpy

risk 1 solution already posted
    risk 2 eat minimum fat macro avoid problem
    3. not sure on this one pretty much screwed
    4.lower gym performance doesnt matter for health and body comp pretty much irrelevant. good bye gainzz
    5. lack of micro nutrients short term doesnt matter long term serious health affects hopefully you are eating your veggies
    6. & 7. will probably be hungry if they occur and if not its a clear sign for even the most incompitent people they are not eating enough

back to original question

i have 1000 calories 'spare'after burning 800 ish calories today.

does not mention hungry pains, does not mention health problems, does not mention lack of energy, does not mention lack of gym performance, does not mention diet at all,does not mention intake for any macros.

my answer still is the same no need to eat them back.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Depends.

it's 1370, and i don't tend to meet it - usually fall under. Usually I'd only do 350-500 calorie burn workouts but today I walked a lot and hardcore cleaned the apartment, carrying and lifting and rearranging furniture etc so it was 800 ish.

I'd always eat 1370 minimum. It works best in the long run and MFP is about long term weight loss not short term quick loss diets. :)

Otherwise you'll be posting "It's been four weeks and I haven't loss a pound!"
  • trudijoy
    Options

Depends.

I'd always eat 1370 minimum. It works best in the long run and MFP is about long term weight loss not short term quick loss diets. :)

Otherwise you'll be posting "It's been four weeks and I haven't loss a pound!"

thanks :) it HAS been four weeks and i've lost 11 lb :D I'm okay with that rate, and that was while on holiday and away from my own kitchen too. back to work in 2 days and so i'll get into more of a routine.